Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

17 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Snow does a IU only recruiting overview every week. He wasn’t “used” IMO.

It’s in the past, time to move on.....

Normally I would. Snow has never been an IU guy. He might do it for a check but if you've followed him for years....IU and he aren't or never will be on the same page. But again I'll keep this on Dawson Garcia. Visions of RP/Al/Hunter/TJD/Garcia and about 6 others with Sparty losing many has me very, very hopeful for next year. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Iuhoopsfan said:

I love that none of the "experts" seem to know any more than the insiders here.  Not one Crystal Ball prediction.  Good for the Garcia's keeping this private.  

And this is why I don’t believe the Assistant Coach angle. If a coach is talking to people and giving private info about Garcia then he isn’t talking to a random dude on the internet...there would be info getting out to the crystal ball predictors. Fact it is so quiet etc tells me people that say they know what Garcia is saying are lying. He may end up there and so on but the kid and his family isn’t talking. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And this is why I don’t believe the Assistant Coach angle. If a coach is talking to people and giving private info about Garcia then he isn’t talking to a random dude on the internet...there would be info getting out to the crystal ball predictors. Fact it is so quiet etc tells me people that say they know what Garcia is saying are lying. He may end up there and so on but the kid and his family isn’t talking. 

That seems like a good take, but doesn't that suggest we're not a clear favorite either?

5 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

That seems like a good take, but doesn't that suggest we're not a clear favorite either?

Who knows...but that is the point. Nobody does and so I don’t believe Marquette people saying his assistant coach is talking. I sure don’t...but I like the signs as I just mentioned in my other post. Also immediate playing time...fits the system...I like our chances. Our guys are saying our coaches like our chances nothing more. This guy is saying his HS AAU coach is saying stuff. I very much doubt it.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I still go back to his interview...he loved how passionate our fan base was. He smiled every time he talked about us. He spoke glowingly of Trey and Anthony. His family had a good visit here. Ostrom has been on him for a long time. I like our chances.

Yeah, I have no problem reading into that interview. He was effusive talking about IU. Pumped the brakes on every other school. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Who knows...but that is the point. Nobody does and so I don’t believe Marquette people saying his assistant coach is talking. I sure don’t...but I like the signs as I just mentioned in my other post. Also immediate playing time...fits the system...I like our chances. Our guys are saying our coaches like our chances nothing more. This guy is saying his HS AAU coach is saying stuff. I very much doubt it.

I tend to agree. My point/concern is that if we know our coaches feel really good about things, then the crystal ball people know that too. But still, I don't believe they are locking us in. So, do they know something else too, or do they know that coach feelings aren't to be trusted as much as we would like them to be?

Last thing I’ll add.  Garcia wanted to commit to IU after his visit.  Two people told him to hold off until he was 100% sure.  His parents were those two.  Didn’t want him to make an “emotional decision” during a high.  Plus as Coach said they already had the Marquette visit planned. Maybe Marquette blew him away too, but I doubt it. We won’t have to wait too long.

Edit-Not after during...

22 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Last thing I’ll add.  Garcia wanted to commit to IU after his visit.  Two people told him to hold off until he was 100% sure.  His parents were those two.  Didn’t want him to make an “emotional decision” during a high.  Plus as Coach said they already had the Marquette visit planned. Maybe Marquette blew him away too, but I doubt it. We won’t have to wait too long.

Edit-Not after during...

This is fine.  This is excellent advice for anyone facing a life changing decision.  You want to make sure the fit is still there after the newness and excitement wears off.  That shows a great level-headedness everyone has to respect.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm sure Dawson was pleasant around the coaches and team during his Marquette visit even if he was 90% sure what his destination prior to the visit.  He strikes me as a young man that tries to please people and he made it clear that telling programs no was the hardest part of the recruitment process for him, so it's not hard to believe that he's been nice enough to all coaching staffs that there is a level of hope in every camp. 

He's not going to Minnesota.  They stay in as a courtesy to the local team, but that staff has shown nothing as far as development or any real pattern of success.  Off the court, it's a nightmare program.  Several recruits have gotten into legal trouble and it just doesn't have the feel of a program that's cohesive and has confidence in the coach (small wonder...he's been the worst coach in the Big Ten for years.  His name has gotten him some players, but even when he's had talent, he couldn't coach them.)  Dawson wants to play at the next level.  The hardest road to the NBA among his finalists goes through Minnesota.

He's not going to Memphis.  Penny's recent problems are just the icing on the cake.  Penny is a nice guy and his name can assemble talent, but there was scant evidence of being able to coach that talent up last year.  Talent will help him hide any deficiencies this season, but no stability has been yet achieved in that program...just a lot of young stars being turned loose to do their thing on the court.  How long until one of his superstars becomes dissatisfied with his minutes and utilization and becomes a locker room cancer?  How many five stars will Dawson have to fight through for minutes?  What upper-class players will he have to battle-test him in practice?  How long before the NCAA creates real problems for Penny's recruitment style?  Just too many questions...Memphis won't make the cut.

He's not going to Marquette.  At the very least, he's wondering what happened with the Hauser brothers and why wasn't Wojo able to work through the conflict and keep two key members of the team?  What caused the late season meltdown last year?  Who's going to transfer before he even gets to campus next year?  Why did Marquette need a buzzer beater in the secret scrimmage to beat a team who ended the game literally playing with their last guard...who hadn't yet even played a college game?  Why did they put Dawson in a powder blue romper and shove him out onto the sidewalk next to a busy street in the middle of Milwaukee?

Stay tuned...in the next few days, he's got at least one if not three tough phone calls to make and then one very happy call to Coach Miller. 😜

Full disclosure...I know very little in this recruitment but I know what I see...and I see a young man who very much likes IU.  How much?  Stay tuned...

Hey craighoops can you send me the cliffsnotes for this post. :coffee:

11 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Edit-Not after during...

Wow....that is certainly a good sign. Hadn't heard that...good for his parents..make sure he has all his options in weighed out in front of him. In the end since he has already been to Marquette before I think that should mean good things for us (what else could they show him that they hadn't already).

12 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I tend to agree. My point/concern is that if we know our coaches feel really good about things, then the crystal ball people know that too. But still, I don't believe they are locking us in. So, do they know something else too, or do they know that coach feelings aren't to be trusted as much as we would like them to be?

I think you are exactly right. Either the coaches aren't giving first hand information (thus do you think these guys are going to go off anonymous forum posters info?) or yes in general all coaches say they like their chances and can't be trusted in a close recruitment. Honestly, I think our coaches are pretty tight lipped with these recruitment services and even if they said they had a great visit the family is so tight lipped that they can't confirm anything. What we do know is our coaches like our chances. Parents had a great visit according to those that spoke with them or witnessed them. The services placed it down to us and Marquette....so they are saying some things. To me they are hedging their bets since there has been so little info leak from the Garcias….credit to them!

On 11/11/2019 at 3:43 AM, Indy1987 said:

True but there has got to be some fear about what the NCAA might do.  Post season or TV bans could hurt a player's future income.   Recruits hear about those possibilities and I'm sure they hear them from other coaches recruiting them as well.  UNC is a good example.  Ol Roy struggled to land 5 stars for several years because of their cloud 

Go Hoosiers!!!

unc never received any punishment. when is the last time a big-time basketball program was banned from the post season for any reason? the ncaa has lost its teeth and its willingness to go after anyone who stands up to them. remember, just last summer it was widely reported that 6 schools faced punishment from the fbi investigation before this season even started. nothing. just as i predicted

8 minutes ago, Alishe Dobberstein said:

How do we know he wanted to commit after IU visit? 

Because there are posters here who are either connected with some of the kids, some of the staff or someone in the administration at IU.  The information isn't 100%, but it's good enough to be considered a lot more solid than typical forum rumors.  You hang around long enough, you'll learn to to watch and trust.  IUWins0708 and CoachSS seem to be two that are particularly well connected.

0708 knew about the Sampson buyout two weeks before it became public knowledge. Posted it on the old Scout platform. Even had the buyout amount correct. Then has followed us to HSN.   He is one of those guys, as many here already know, and have just spoken about..... when 0708 speaks, you need to listen.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

0708 knew about the Sampson buyout two weeks before it became public knowledge. Posted it on the old Scout platform. Even had the buyout amount correct. Then has followed us to HSN.   He is one of those guys, as many here already know, and have just spoken about..... when 0708 speaks, you need to listen.

LOL.... I'll give him a pass on the Ketchup kid

Archived