Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The insider on the other board says our staff was not that confident after the MU visit.  Said MU flew in Dwayne Wade and he made quite the impression. 

The guy he played for even chose IU over Marquette. That’s some pretty good irony. 

9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So did Oladipo, Zeller and OG. We still want those guys around the program. 

While that's true, bringing in a retired NBA guy who played for a different coach who left that school for IU sounds like a bit of a reach. 

But who else can they bring in? Bo Ellis?

I guess Jimmy Butler would be an option...

It would be strange if flying in Dwayne Wade would be the deciding factor...can Marquette hold a candle to IU in production of NBA stars? they have some history obviously, but almost none of it is under WOJO and it doesn't overwhelm the history IU has (even the recent history honestly). Butler and Wade are good, there have been other journeymen that have stuck like Crowder and Novak, but you could line up VO, Gordon, Zeller, Yogi, Vonleh, and Langford and say that even in the worst part of our basketball program's history we were out producing them in that regard.

Also, ironic given how much grief Marquette fans gave Tom Crean over comparing everyone to Wade in recruiting...

My gut says IU, IU prepares him better for both development and his future with IU and the NBA than what Marquette can.  Yes MU can give him tons of shots due to Howard departing however I view the Howard situation similar to Carson Edwards.  Edwards will be a depth guy for his entire career in the NBA, no not a starter or 6th man but he'll get a few mins night in/night out and bounce between the G-League and NBA when the Celtics are fully healthy.  Howard will be very similar to what Edwards path is in the NBA IMO. 

Archived