4 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Dawson Garcia
Isaiah Whitehead
Darius Garland
Lester Quinones
Keion Brooks
Goodluck Okonoboh

Just rinse and repeat every cycle.

Its been brutal no question. This one and brooks hurt the worst. Brooks was sold a bill of good of being a  one and done and is averaging 5 points a game. Cal is a master salesman. No sure about wojo but I'm sure he threw in all his duke stuff under coach k. Whatever it iis we aren't closing the deal.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Looks like Darius Garland all over again.  I never thought we had a prayer and we appear to have been played yet again.

Nothing like that.  Ask Rabjohns if you don't believe me.  I have zero issue with the way the Garcia family has handled this.  Naturally, I think he picked the wrong school, but I have no issues with how he conducted himself.  Garland father and son are a different story.  It was childish to punk a local writer into driving eight hours round trip for absolutely nothing.  THAT, I have little respect for.

Just now, Bedford1432 said:

Its been brutal no question. This one and brooks hurt the worst. Brooks was sold a bill of good of being a  one and done and is averaging 5 points a game. Cal is a master salesman. No sure about wojo but I'm sure he threw in all his duke stuff under coach k. Whatever it iis we aren't closing the deal.

IU absolutely IS closing.  There are already three kids signed for 2020.  No school, not even Memphis, Duke & Kentucky get every kid they offer.  Doesn't look like Memphis was even 2nd in this battle.

If you expect them all or even most  of them, you are setting yourself up for a lot of heartburn.

13 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Dawson Garcia
Isaiah Whitehead
Darius Garland
Lester Quinones
Keion Brooks
Goodluck Okonoboh

Just rinse and repeat every cycle.

And yet, with each new Whiff, I feel less and less concerned about the future of the program and less and less worried that the team can't prosper without player __________.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

IU absolutely IS closing.  There are already three kids signed for 2020.  No school, not even Memphis, Duke & Kentucky get every kid they offer.  Doesn't look like Memphis was even 2nd in this battle.

If you expect them all or even most  of them, you are setting yourself up for a lot of heartburn.

We will see where Memphis ended up soon.We got fiooled on garland so who knows.  Nobody expects therm all to come. I guess we expect it when wed let ourselves buy into the rumors. Its my own fault 

It does seem like we are trending in the right direction, though we will only know with how we go through this season. Last year at this time we all were as optimistic as could be.  We smashed Marquette in the preconference and cracked the top 25.  I am feeling less optimistic a year later, but this is likely due to having a more realistic outlook.  I think this team makes the tourney and the program will show steady growth over the next 2-5 years and be a perennial top 10-20 ranked team with some years better, some years worse. Would Dawson have enabled this team to be a final four threat if without him it would only be a second weekend type team?  I doubt it, but I think the disappointment of not getting our number 1 recruiting target stings.  In the end, what happens on the court is the only thing that matters.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If it were possible to have less than zero inside information, I would. But gut feel says this isn't locked yet. Not looking good, but I don't think it's over.

I think it's over but at the same time, I'm not entirely convinced these guys really know.  The Garcias really held their cards close for all this time and NOW all these experts know what school he's picked?  Hard for me to believe, but I'll allow that it's absolutely possible someone on the Marquette staff couldn't help but leaking the good news, assuming the coaching staffs have been informed.  Just doesn't seem likely that Dawson leaked to some national experts.  Feels more like herd mentality than an actual leak.

That being said, it's really hard to keep a tight lid on a decision, especially for two days, so I'm with you on this...not looking good, but not over until Wednesday.  Based on past experience, I'd call it 95/5 in favor of Marquette at the moment.

Really wanted to land Garcia. After next year Brunk will be gone and TJD might leave. If that happens  we don’t currently  have a player over 6’8” which means any tall player after next year will be a freshman (unless we get a grad/transfer). Not to be negative but we need some size. 

Tomorrow I will go back to worrying about this year....LOL.

For every Eric Montross there is a Damon Bailey.  Recruits come and go, what lasts are the memories of those who wear the candy stripes with pride and honor.  Way to much good is happening to worry about one recruit.  The team is finally defensive first and showing improvement with offense.  Not to mention we haven't really had our two top guards healthy and ready to go.  

With all that being said, not sure anyone really knows the outcome.  How does it going from feeling good after a trip on Sunday to no thank you?  Regardless, kids make choices for many reasons.  Best of luck with any decision.  

9 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Really wanted to land Garcia. After next year Brunk will be gone and TJD might leave. If that happens  we don’t currently  have a player over 6’8” which means any tall player after next year will be a freshman (unless we get a grad/transfer). Not to be negative but we need some size. 

Tomorrow I will go back to worrying about this year....LOL.

I'm sure that the coaching staff would agree with you.  And I imagine they will be addressing the size issue going forward.  Even if we got Garcia and the two you mention leave, we still will be lacking some size.

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

I’ll be interested to see what his reasons are for picking Marquette 

Honestly could be as simple as something like this. Was at a business dinner recently. Guy at table has a daughter who is an athlete at DePauw. Family lives in St Louis. She was also recruited heavily by Denison. DePauw 3.5 hour drive. Denison 6+ hour drive. She picked DePauw. Parents regularly go to her games on weekends. Spend one night and drive home.

Granted her future sports opportunity will be different than Garcia's, but if it was a close call, geography can win out.

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

If I’m CAM I keep this scholly available. IMO Marquette is going to struggle to make the tournament this year. If Wojo gets fired Garcia could be available again if not then try for a grad transfer that can make an impact.

This. This. I really thought we’d get this one. Might still. 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Honestly could be as simple as something like this. Was at a business dinner recently. Guy at table has a daughter who is an athlete at DePauw. Family lives in St Louis. She was also recruited heavily by Denison. DePauw 3.5 hour drive. Denison 6+ hour drive. She picked DePauw. Parents regularly go to her games on weekends. Spend one night and drive home.

Granted her future sports opportunity will be different than Garcia's, but if it was a close call, geography can win out.

The thing is that the Garcia's probably could get to a lot of our road games when we play at Minnesota, Iowa, UW.  At Marquette being in the big east they wouldn't be able to see many of thir road games.

22 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I have to say I'm quite surprised that it seems something has leaked out about DG's decision.  It felt like they were really playing it close to the vest only to let something slip out on the cusp of his announcement.

Bummer, but that's recruiting.  On with the season at hand!

I have ZERO inside info but would guess that it has leaked because Garcia has informed the losing coaches that he has picked Marquette. Once that happens assistants, people associated with the various programs etc begin to talk.

20 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

We will see where Memphis ended up soon.We got fooled on garland so who knows.  Nobody expects therm all to come. I guess we expect it when wed let ourselves buy into the rumors. Its my own fault 

Nothing wrong with buying in as long as you don't go all-in.  There's lots of great intel out there but it's a long way from foolproof.  There was virtually no chatter about Memphis, so yeah, I'd be surprised if they were even 2nd.  I've actually seen more chatter about Minnesota than Memphis.  I think it's easier to accept losing recruits when you are watching the current team go 11 deep and realizing only two of those 11 are graduating.  Really want to see Garcia added to the team, but IU will be fine either way.

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I have ZERO inside info but would guess that it has leaked because Garcia has informed the losing coaches that he has picked Marquette. Once that happens assistants, people associated with the various programs etc begin to talk.

That's true...hadn't really thought about the "losing" schools leaking it but that's more likely than the winners.  It's a shame that adults feel the need to steal a kid's thunder.  If I were a recruit, I'd do like Cody Zeller and tell them they'll all find out at the same time...when I announce.

Archived