Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

2 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

So basically we may finish third but are not even in the discussion. Wow.

From that perspective yes.  Would seem very odd for them to be as engaged as they were while visiting, love the fans enthusiasm, and the idea of playing for a school like IU just for assistants from MU that think Garcia would choose IU. 

IU may not have been relevant for the past 5 years or so HOWEVER they are still more relevant than MU, Minny or Memphis as a whole will ever be when it comes to Basketball and the history that we have. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

We can agree to disagree. I don’t always think because a player didn’t choose IU they were making a mistake but I think Brooks did and I think Garcia is. Following your heart doesn’t mean you made a wise decision. Because people make decisions everyday based on their emotion that turn out to be unwise decisions. And people who spend a lot of time thinking about their decision also doesn’t mean they end up making the reasonable decision. Just means they thought about it a lot. BUT I respect that it’s HIS decision to make and I wish him well.

based on what he desires to accomplish, the success at this level and moving forward, etc it wasn’t the logical or reasonable decision.

Brooks is like the 3rd guy off the bench and averages 5 points a game. Would seem like a mistake to me but I'm guessing he is declaring whether he gets drafted or not. He made it very clear he was going there to be a OAD. A guy that was set on being OAD does probably not want to be in college a second year imo.

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

From that perspective yes.  Would seem very odd for them to be as engaged as they were while visiting, love the fans enthusiasm, and the idea of playing for a school like IU just for assistants from MU that think Garcia would choose IU. 

IU may not have been relevant for the past 5 years or so HOWEVER they are still more relevant than MU, Minny or Memphis as a whole will ever be when it comes to Basketball and the history that we have. 

I took it to mean DG’s high school coaching staff... not Marquette’s

13 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This info is from https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59340.0

Dawson Garcia will make his college choice known on Wednesday at 3:30 central time from Prior Lake HS.  It will be streamed live on CBS Sports HQ and the BB coaches at the school have made their predictions.  My friend says he believes MU will land the talented forward this week.  The other assistants are leaning towards Minnesota.  Interestingly, there is not a coach on the staff predicting Garcia will choose Indiana.  I look forward to watching the big announcement on Wednesday!

Very baffled by what I have underlined,  thoughts?

Is this the same guy that randomly resurfaced on the MU boards last week who claims he's friends with the HS assistant coach, yet never shared any information up until last week? 

Again, not saying it's impossible, but seems a bit shady. I think this is the only guy who has said Minnesota is seriously still in the running. 

15 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This info is from https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59340.0

Dawson Garcia will make his college choice known on Wednesday at 3:30 central time from Prior Lake HS.  It will be streamed live on CBS Sports HQ and the BB coaches at the school have made their predictions.  My friend says he believes MU will land the talented forward this week.  The other assistants are leaning towards Minnesota.  Interestingly, there is not a coach on the staff predicting Garcia will choose Indiana.  I look forward to watching the big announcement on Wednesday!

Very baffled by what I have underlined,  thoughts?

Minus the pick for Marquette I feel like this is wishful thinking to keep him close to home. This has to be guesses from his high school coaches right?

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Maybe when we start winning more consistently and becoming relevant come March Madness time we will start being on the better side of this potential outcome

Yeah that's the key. It may be a catch 22, but we just gotta grow and start winning big to have consistent success in recruiting. It's a winner-takes-it-all game. MU is not a stellar program, but has been better than IU the last several years. No matter how hard and well Archie recruit, if his teams keep missing the big dance, and not in top 25, there's only so much he can do. 

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Remember fellas...we got a big football game on Saturday.  Just sayin'

Yep smell the roses. To much obsession on a high school kid in my opinion. Lots of battles of all kinds to be won or lost. I quit worrying about where the kids decide to go since we lost Montross just not worth it to me!

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

🤦‍♂️

I’m done posting about recruits for a while....

Not because of any posters either, kids will be kids I’ll say that.

And that is the ever-present fact of recruiting 17 & 18 year-old young men.  Assuming things we've heard to be true, he was ready to commit on his visit to Bloomington and then a week or so later he goes to MU and is swayed back to them.  This may be one case of the team with the last visit holding the cards.  I 100% understand why Brad Stevens moved on to the NBA and is unlikely to return to college ball - puts a lot of stress on the coaches, and their families.

This unpredictability is what really drives me bonkers with kids that wait, and wait, and wait well into the spring to make a decision.  Generally little changes and they still make what amounts to a snap decision.  In this case the decision will be announced in the early sign period and DG's conduct during the recruitment phase was exemplary.  Disappointed, but that's the nature of beast...

Don't throw the towel in just yet, people. Meyer has admitted to Rabjohns that his CB pick is just a guess. And that he (Meyer) has no solid info for this pick.

Whomever, posted earlier today that these guys are forced to make a pick....is correct.

"It ain't over.... till it's over. "

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hearing here in Evansville that Michigan is way ahead on that one.  Mack supposedly has made a big impression though.

That isn’t a surprise. IU has to win this year to even be in the serious conversation when it comes to a Lander decision.

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Yeah that's the key. It may be a catch 22, but we just gotta grow and start winning big to have consistent success in recruiting. It's a winner-takes-it-all game. MU is not a stellar program, but has been better than IU the last several years. No matter how hard and well Archie recruit, if his teams keep missing the big dance, and not in top 25, there's only so much he can do. 

Have they really been that much better than IU the last 5 years

Marquette                                              IU

13-19                                                      20-14

20-13                                                      27-8

19-13                                                      18-16

21-13                                                      16-15

24-10                                                      19-16

6 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Someone I trust just told me he isn't going to IU, so who knows maybe it is leaking out now.

Not to question you or your source is that off solid intel or just their feeling. It just seems like so much misdirection going on in this recruitment that the only people that actually know are the Garcia’s 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Have they really been that much better than IU the last 5 years

Marquette                                              IU

13-19                                                      20-14

20-13                                                      27-8

19-13                                                      18-16

21-13                                                      16-15

24-10                                                      19-16

Hmm...you're right. They only did better than us last 2 years. Well...then I guess for an out of state kid, IU was not that attractive. We think IU is far better than MU, and it won't be a smart decision if any kid picks MU over IU, but maybe that's because we're IU diehards. 

I really don't get the whole announcement thing with kids.  It's not a secret if you inform anyone outside your home what the decision is.  I mean there's no need to tell any school ahead of time.  Just call the losing coach afterwards and say thanks.  

I'm still hopeful these CB picks are just guesses.  The Garcia's keep their cards close at all times during the recruitment.  Why let the decision slip out a couple days early???

Go Hoosiers!!!

17 hours ago, Indykev said:

Wojo was only extended because the school didn't want to start over. Boosters may say other wise with another poor season. That would be reason enough for me to point my kid in another direction.

Yeah in fact I thought Wojo's seat's getting hot too. That's why I initially thought we definitely got a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I really don't get the whole announcement thing with kids.  It's not a secret if you inform anyone outside your home what the decision is.  I mean there's no need to tell any school ahead of time.  Just call the losing coach afterwards and say thanks.  

I'm still hopeful these CB picks are just guesses.  The Garcia's keep their cards close at all times during the recruitment.  Why let the decision slip out a couple days early???

Go Hoosiers!!!

I take the announcement show as a celebration for the kid and his family for his achievement in his high school career even though words got out and everybody pretty much knows where he's going. Or some kids really use this as surprise shows. 

Archived