Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59340.25

Info below is from link above:

Yes, but with those press conferences, weren't they already pretty well known they were going to pick MU?? That's what I recall. I know there was Illinois and Florida with Novak, but I don't think anyone really believed he was going to pick either one. This one feels different, IF the rumors are true that as of this morning, the staffs didn't even know yet...then i don't know what to think.

Love it to be like Alexander picking KU when UI thought they had him and the picture of the UI fans when he committed to KU is priceless.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm personally impressed with the number of words Hoopster and MD can get into a post.  

After about 25 words, I've used up my entire vocabulary.

Seriously.  Great stuff guys.

I hardly ever post so I try to save it all up & then use all my words in 2-3 posts and then I'll go quiet again for 3-4 months.🤣

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm personally impressed with the number of words Hoopster and MD can get into a post.  

After about 25 words, I've used up my entire vocabulary.

Seriously.  Great stuff guys.

Not quite Craig Hoops epic.  But close. 

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I used to look at Craighoops facebook page. He was a really neat guy. I wish I would of gotten to know him better before his passing. 

Choops and I had many phone conversations over time.  Because of the time differential between Hawaii and Colorado, I always asked him to call me when the time was appropriate. 

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Choops and I had many phone conversations over time.  Because of the time differential between Hawaii and Colorado, I always asked him to call me when the time was appropriate. 

Mile,  I remember you and I talking about him via pm. I believe you gave me his facebook info and that is how I looked him up. I tried to look him up about a month ago but I couldn't remember his info. Getting old sucks sometimes. lol

19 minutes ago, HoosierAlice said:

Wasn't everyone calling Romeo to Vandy right before his announcement?

And UNC for Zeller, UK for Blackmon, etc...

And IU for Garland, IU for Carton, etc....

Each recruitment is different, but most of the time the “experts” are just guessing.

1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

Appreciate you. I get the argument you are making. I just disagree with it in regards to context. As far as dealing with "impressions", that's what we all are doing. It's just impressions. I played D1 baseball and then played in the minors for a few season before becoming a scout. This was before medicine obviously. You just get "impressions" when being around a kid. I don't have anything to say about Garcia, his family or his situations as won't even remotely pretend to be a basketball scout, but I will say I've been around enough 17/18-year old kids to get somewhat of a feel. 

I will say that if a kid is coming in looking for playing time, then he's not about winning. You can disagree all day and that's fine and I get where you are coming from playing devil's advocate. I don't know what it's like in a college basketball office at high level D1 schools. I don't have any experience there. When I scouted a kid and he wanted to know how many ABs or how many IPs he's going to get, that's an immediate red flag and I know enough NFL scouts through scouting channels that it's a red flag for them too. Obviously football/baseball are different sports. Maybe it's SO DIFFERENT that you simply can't compare.

I think what you are somewhat missing from my take is the "type" of player the Indiana fanbase wants. I think for the most part we want the proverbial student athlete that is about winning championships. If a kid isn't about that, then my argument is that he's not an IU type of player. 

Re: 3rd paragraph: Again, sort of missing the point. It's a me-first attitude regardless of how you color it. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm saying it goes against type.

Re: 4th paragraph: See comment regarding 3rd paragraph. I think everyone here has said they'd rather have the 3-4 year player than a 1-and done type of player. Guys like Romeo Langford and Cody Zeller are the obvious exceptions to this rule, but they are also Indiana kids. TJD could very well be another. Garcia isn't a Hoosier.

Like I say, I'm all for Garcia coming to Indiana. I don't understand why he wouldn't, but if he doesn't, I'm just saying that this one might be another instance of us dodging a bullet.

Good back and forth discussion.

Case in point - Cody. One of his factors in choosing between UNC, Butler and IU was how he would be utilized, e.g., including playing time and opportunity. Was Cody selfish? Was he a me-first player? What do you think Vic considered in choosing IU? Why did EJ choose IU? I could keep going, for a long time. In all seriousness, this is true of just about every single elite recruit there is. These guys are elite high school bball players, they are not choosing a college to sit on the bench. They are looking to play and develop, and when a team already has veterans/incoming elite players at your spot, your opportunity in a 5-man on the floor game is more limited. This isn't baseball, and desiring playing time is not selfish in and of itself. It just isn't. 

More to the point, besides talking about it in the abstract, you do not know Garcia, and from what I can gather have no reason to have an impression that he is or may be a 'me first' player other than speculating that he is looking for significant playing time. Look up at CrimsonV's post. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Case in point - Cody. One of his factors in choosing between UNC, Butler and IU was how he would be utilized, e.g., including playing time and opportunity. Was Cody selfish? Was he a me-first player? What do you think Vic considered in choosing IU? Why did EJ choose IU? I could keep going, for a long time. In all seriousness, this is true of just about every single elite recruit there is. These guys are elite high school bball players, they are not choosing a college to sit on the bench. They are looking to play and develop, and when a team already has veterans/incoming elite players at your spot, your opportunity in a 5-man on the floor game is more limited. This isn't baseball, and desiring playing time is not selfish in and of itself. It just isn't. 

More to the point, besides talking about it in the abstract, you do not know Garcia, and from what I can gather have no reason to have an impression that he is or may be a 'me first' player other than speculating that he is looking for significant playing time. Look up at CrimsonV's post. 

Nah just disagree with all of this. I don't think Cody's utilization had anything to do with him choosing IU, just like I don't think EJ's usage had anything to do with him choosing Indiana either. Victor neither. None of that makes sense. I think you are misconstruing my point in all facets. I'm not claiming DG is a "me-first" player. I think when taking everything together & "IF" he chooses Marquette, then I think it's a valid question. Does that make it wrong? No. But it does mean given the Indiana "type" that the program may have dodged a bullet. 

As to not "knowing" Gacia, by your logic all of us should say nothing about every single recruit unless we have first hand knowledge of EVERY single detail of their life. That's not what projection means. Rather than it being "more" to the point, I think our knowledge of his situations is completely beside the point. If a player's primary goal is "significant' playing time than I think you are able to draw the conclusion that more often than not, said player is a "me first" player. That could mean that DG has a 50.000000000001% chance of being a "me first" player and a "49.999999999" chance of not being one. I don't know. You don't know. 

But given the information we all have, the fact that he'd choose Marquette because of playing time or proximity are reasons I'd rather (if all of this is true) him not be on the team. But I will also say that I'd rather have 13 guys on scholarship that have the same mentality as Jordan Hulls, Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheaney, Kyle Hornsby and Tom Coverdale. Does he have that same mentality? Maybe. But I have a hard time believing Michael Lewis chose Indiana because of how he fit and what kind of minutes he'd get.

Please note. I hope DG chooses Indiana. This is just pure speculation that if he does choose Marquette, I think you can make a case that the program dodged a bullet. Does not imply he's a bad guy or anything. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To your point, there's a difference between looking for a situation where you're actually going to get to play a lot of minutes and blatantly asking to be featured offensively (or how many shots you'll get). Those are different things. The former is what any player would want to know, players want to play, they want to be on the field, court, etc. The latter is "me first". I haven't seen anything out of Garcia that makes me think he's a selfish player. 

Archived