Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I know is IU will be fine regardless if Dawson picks us or not. We shouldn't get upset about what is probably the toughest decision in a 18 year olds life. Every kid has their reasons and it should be respected. This was an out of state kid we weren't even recruiting as long as some of the competition. I think we definitely made a positive impression and made up serious ground. I understand we are very passionate about IU and want to get the best players. While I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone here , I think sometimes a very vocal few in our fan base react to this stuff in an appalling fashion. 

21 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Something leaked. Far to much MU chatter. Time to move on.

You have NO idea what you are talking about. 

not saying it’s IU, but “chatter” from 2 Duke kids and a South Dakota State insider along with Meyer saying it was a complete guess and no coaching staffs being notified....it’s not time to move on.

Snow has no concrete info either and just guessed MU.

is this your first recruitment? 

The more I see, the less confidence I have in all the experts picking this one.  Hard to ignore all the Marquette chatter and CoachSS Tweeting MU, but it's hard to say it's over reading that piece,  He's probably a solid lean, but just giving everyone the last mental once-over before he announces.

5 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Chew on this ladies and gents.... Notice the "still weighing out a little bit"

https://sports.yahoo.com/q-top-40-forward-dawson-195237199.html

Well. That really cleared it up for me.  Clear as mud.  Congrats Dawson. 

And thanks CrimsonV for this link, and the one you did previously.  You have been doing yeoman's work today.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

An interview published today doesn't always mean it was an interview conducted today.

Understand, but I'd guess yesterday at the earliest. I doubt he did an interview Sunday night after hosting three in-house visits.

Get thee hence, Satan!!!

Will he choose Marquette? Probably...but for whatever reason I would not be shocked if he still chose us...maybe it's because we've been the so called "front runner" heading down to the final few days before one's announcement so many times before - only to be disappointed...see Keion Brooks and Darius Garland - this time it's the opposite...at least we've had multiple days to process...maybe we can be the one where Jerry Meyer flips a crystal ball pick minutes before a commitment (see Darius Garland). 

From my perspective, I don't see any hint of a "me first" guy at all with Garcia.  He and his family have done all the right things.

There have been recruits I didn't particularly want, but that in no way relates to Garcia.  I will root for him and his career regardless of where he goes.  When people cherry pick a couple of erratic and volatile posts to try to paint the entire fan base, that's intellectually dishonest.  That's where my real ire lies.

16 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Nah just disagree with all of this. I don't think Cody's utilization had anything to do with him choosing IU, just like I don't think EJ's usage had anything to do with him choosing Indiana either. Victor neither. None of that makes sense. I think you are misconstruing my point in all facets. I'm not claiming DG is a "me-first" player. I think when taking everything together & "IF" he chooses Marquette, then I think it's a valid question. Does that make it wrong? No. But it does mean given the Indiana "type" that the program may have dodged a bullet. 

As to not "knowing" Gacia, by your logic all of us should say nothing about every single recruit unless we have first hand knowledge of EVERY single detail of their life. That's not what projection means. Rather than it being "more" to the point, I think our knowledge of his situations is completely beside the point. If a player's primary goal is "significant' playing time than I think you are able to draw the conclusion that more often than not, said player is a "me first" player. That could mean that DG has a 50.000000000001% chance of being a "me first" player and a "49.999999999" chance of not being one. I don't know. You don't know. 

But given the information we all have, the fact that he'd choose Marquette because of playing time or proximity are reasons I'd rather (if all of this is true) him not be on the team. But I will also say that I'd rather have 13 guys on scholarship that have the same mentality as Jordan Hulls, Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheaney, Kyle Hornsby and Tom Coverdale. Does he have that same mentality? Maybe. But I have a hard time believing Michael Lewis chose Indiana because of how he fit and what kind of minutes he'd get.

Please note. I hope DG chooses Indiana. This is just pure speculation that if he does choose Marquette, I think you can make a case that the program dodged a bullet. Does not imply he's a bad guy or anything. 

Or it could be as simple as the fact that Marquette started recruiting him first, they've been on him the longest, and he could very well have developed the best relationship with that staff. Marquette was always perceived as the leader. Looking for red flags in why he didn't choose Indiana is starting from a faulty premise. Dawson Garcia grew up in Minnesota. He has no reason to be interested in Indiana whatsoever. The tradition we love to tout is the result of titles and coaches from before Dawson was born. It's to Archie's credit he was able to sell this program so well that we ended up as the ostensible runner-up, over Garcia's hometown Minnesota and bluebloods like Kansas and UNC. Because remember, this wasn't always a two horse race. If Garcia's decision is truly down to Indiana or Marquette, it means he valued the situation at Indiana so highly that he placed us ahead of 20 other offers reported on 247. That list includes situations where Garcia's talent would have been relied on even more than at Marquette, and schools where he would have won far more games than at Indiana.

This post, and those prior, just reek of post hoc rationalization. It's myopic to think that Indiana is always the best choice for any recruit we choose to pursue, and I reject this sense of Indiana Exceptionalism that always rears its head when we miss on a recruit. By virtue of participating on this board, we're all passionate Indiana fans, emotionally invested in the travails of this program. But just because we can't see the reasons why a recruit might choose Marquette over Indiana, that's not proof such reasons don't exist. There are hundreds of schools that play Division I ball, and hundreds of coaches. Every prospective student, even the athletes, needs to pick the situation that's right for them. Acting in your own rational self interest in this manner doesn't make you "me first" or selfish, and thinking it does is just silly. Genuinely, what mentality is it that you think made Hulls, Lewis, Cheaney, Hornsby and Coverdale choose Indiana? If fit and playing time weren't factors, what was? This entire exercise appears to exist because those players chose Indiana and Garcia might not.

Archived