Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One post about Dawson being a 'me first' player based on baseless and purely assumptive allegations and we get painted with a broad brush. Low blow by that a-hole, but hey, whatever it takes to get movement on your tweets. 

And in regard to being 'me first' - I guess I'm a 'me-first' person too because I try to make choices that'll put me in a position to succeed. I'm so selfish. 

36 minutes ago, JugRox said:

You have NO idea what you are talking about. 

not saying it’s IU, but “chatter” from 2 Duke kids and a South Dakota State insider along with Meyer saying it was a complete guess and no coaching staffs being notified....it’s not time to move on.

Snow has no concrete info either and just guessed MU.

is this your first recruitment? 

The iu insiders also say MU. This is playing out liked Brooks and Garlund with us all holding out hope the night before but knowing it was likely over. This is the same thing. Im not telling you to give up hope I just read it different and have learned in these cases. I think its over but thats just me.

18 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

Its been brutal no question. This one and brooks hurt the worst. Brooks was sold a bill of good of being a  one and done and is averaging 5 points a game. Cal is a master salesman. No sure about wojo but I'm sure he threw in all his duke stuff under coach k. Whatever it iis we aren't closing the deal.

but can wojo pay garcia duke money?

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Be nice if it could turn out like the Robert Johnson recruitment where everyone was picking UNC but announced for IU.  On the other hand people were predicting Theo Pinson to IU only for him to announce for UNC.

Wow...we certainly did not get the better end of that trade off.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have said this before on here and usually gets ripped for it but maybe our fan base is not the big sale it use to be.  Look at the last couple of years and the attendance has went way down but I don't like the excuse of the schedule.  Back in the day it did not matter who we were playing because it was full for almost every game.  Also I think some of that has to do with more out of state students who did not grow up a huge IU basketball fans and couldn't care less about it.  Also I feel our fans have become to much like any other fan base where we are quick to judge and go to social media to rip players and coaches.

Basketball attendance is down almost everywhere. That said we avg over 15,000 and are in the top 12 in the country. Compared to most schools we have plenty of support at the games and Dawson even said in interviews our fan base was the best of all that were recruiting him and he didn't mince words when he said that. Now...Marquette actually avgs more people than we do...so how much of a selling point that is...hard to say...but they out rank us in attendance.

1 minute ago, Bedford1432 said:

The iu insiders also say MU. This is playing out liked Brooks and Garlund with us all holding out hope the night before but knowing it was likely over. This is the same thing. Im not telling you to give up hope I just read it different and have learned in these cases. I think its over but thats just me.

What IU insiders?  Snow said he had no info and guessed MU. Rabs said it was 51-49 MU. Peegs hasn’t picked.

at this point, Brooks to UK was a given.

this is totally different.

36 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Chew on this ladies and gents.... Notice the "still weighing out a little bit"

https://sports.yahoo.com/q-top-40-forward-dawson-195237199.html

I unfortunately think there's a tell in there that it's Marquette. 

CE: When it comes down to it, what will be the deciding factors for the one school that you choose?

DG: Deciding factor will definitely be my relationship with the coaches and their vision for me.

Looking at it from a "blind resume" POV, Marquette is the only seems to mention both of his deciding factors.

39 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Chew on this ladies and gents.... Notice the "still weighing out a little bit"

https://sports.yahoo.com/q-top-40-forward-dawson-195237199.html

Got to admit, that article did sound like Marquette to me. The way he said they want me to come in and 'lead the team, and do some serious damage', just sounded like someone who already feels apart of that team/program to me. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Are you unhappy with the state of the program at this exact moment?  I'm not.  I'm excited about what I have seen this year, regardless of where Garcia signs.

I am ok with the state of the program right now.

I want to see incremental improvement with all aspects of it going forward each year. I'm pretty confident we will.

1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

Please note. I hope DG chooses Indiana. This is just pure speculation that if he does choose Marquette, I think you can make a case that the program dodged a bullet. Does not imply he's a bad guy or anything. 

There is a zero case for saying that we dodged a bullet if he goes somewhere else. Zero.

The kids that know him and have played with him (Lyle, Galloway, TJD) have been virtually begging him to come to IU. Would any of them want a me-first tool?  No. In addition, by all accounts his parents are stand-up good people.

Dodge the bullet comments/theories are sour grapes. I hope he still commits to IU, and think he would have the time of his life, but wish him well if he goes elsewhere and the program would then turn attention to the next recruit.

18 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Or it could be as simple as the fact that Marquette started recruiting him first, they've been on him the longest, and he could very well have developed the best relationship with that staff. Marquette was always perceived as the leader. Looking for red flags in why he didn't choose Indiana is starting from a faulty premise. Dawson Garcia grew up in Minnesota. He has no reason to be interested in Indiana whatsoever. The tradition we love to tout is the result of titles and coaches from before Dawson was born. It's to Archie's credit he was able to sell this program so well that we ended up as the ostensible runner-up, over Garcia's hometown Minnesota and bluebloods like Kansas and UNC. Because remember, this wasn't always a two horse race. If Garcia's decision is truly down to Indiana or Marquette, it means he valued the situation at Indiana so highly that he placed us ahead of 20 other offers reported on 247. That list includes situations where Garcia's talent would have been relied on even more than at Marquette, and schools where he would have won far more games than at Indiana.

This post, and those prior, just reek of post hoc rationalization. It's myopic to think that Indiana is always the best choice for any recruit we choose to pursue, and I reject this sense of Indiana Exceptionalism that always rears its head when we miss on a recruit. By virtue of participating on this board, we're all passionate Indiana fans, emotionally invested in the travails of this program. But just because we can't see the reasons why a recruit might choose Marquette over Indiana, that's not proof such reasons don't exist. There are hundreds of schools that play Division I ball, and hundreds of coaches. Every prospective student, even the athletes, needs to pick the situation that's right for them. Acting in your own rational self interest in this manner doesn't make you "me first" or selfish, and thinking it does is just silly. Genuinely, what mentality is it that you think made Hulls, Lewis, Cheaney, Hornsby and Coverdale choose Indiana? If fit and playing time weren't factors, what was? This entire exercise appears to exist because those players chose Indiana and Garcia might not.

When is the Garcia announcement?

must have missed it....

lol

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sounds that way.  Plus the fact that if IU did not want Dawson.... why did Coaches Miller, and Ostrom fly to Minnesota this weekend ? 

I think he means us fans don't want or need him. What forum is he reading? He comes here, reads through 2 pages of an IU forum then Tweets about crazy/delusional fans? Great journalistic integrity for a supposed writer. How about posting "hey I am writer" what's the vibe on this board regarding Garcia? Instead he lurks here then cherry picks one term and uses it as an example (completely out of context) of how crazy we are. What a hack. 

9 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Still better to have a positive outlook than a negative one going through life even though you will face some disappointment.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow...we certainly did not get the better end of that trade off.

Basketball attendance is down almost everywhere. That said we avg over 15,000 and are in the top 12 in the country. Compared to most schools we have plenty of support at the games and Dawson even said in interviews our fan base was the best of all that were recruiting him and he didn't mince words when he said that. Now...Marquette actually avgs more people than we do...so how much of a selling point that is...hard to say...but they out rank us in attendance.

I would still rather play in AH on campus than playing in a huge NBA arena off campus.

Archived