Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You should probably tell Archie that so he won't spend to much time on recruiting him then.  For someone who is definitely going to UM he has spent awful a lot of time in Bloomington and on campus.

He grew up a Michigan fan and honestly he just looks like a typical Michigan guard.. going to be a tough one to get. 

Regardless of how this turns out. I am very optimistic of where we are and the direction Archie is taking us. A few have said "just win" and I think they are correct. At this point, that is really all that is left to do. I think we can all see recruiting is going very well and has a purpose. We are on the verge of being great again

2 hours ago, hoosiermd said:

Nah just disagree with all of this. I don't think Cody's utilization had anything to do with him choosing IU, just like I don't think EJ's usage had anything to do with him choosing Indiana either. Victor neither. None of that makes sense. I think you are misconstruing my point in all facets. I'm not claiming DG is a "me-first" player. I think when taking everything together & "IF" he chooses Marquette, then I think it's a valid question. Does that make it wrong? No. But it does mean given the Indiana "type" that the program may have dodged a bullet. 

As to not "knowing" Gacia, by your logic all of us should say nothing about every single recruit unless we have first hand knowledge of EVERY single detail of their life. That's not what projection means. Rather than it being "more" to the point, I think our knowledge of his situations is completely beside the point. If a player's primary goal is "significant' playing time than I think you are able to draw the conclusion that more often than not, said player is a "me first" player. That could mean that DG has a 50.000000000001% chance of being a "me first" player and a "49.999999999" chance of not being one. I don't know. You don't know. 

But given the information we all have, the fact that he'd choose Marquette because of playing time or proximity are reasons I'd rather (if all of this is true) him not be on the team. But I will also say that I'd rather have 13 guys on scholarship that have the same mentality as Jordan Hulls, Michael Lewis, Calbert Cheaney, Kyle Hornsby and Tom Coverdale. Does he have that same mentality? Maybe. But I have a hard time believing Michael Lewis chose Indiana because of how he fit and what kind of minutes he'd get.

Please note. I hope DG chooses Indiana. This is just pure speculation that if he does choose Marquette, I think you can make a case that the program dodged a bullet. Does not imply he's a bad guy or anything. 

OK well you just went way beyond anything I said and completely changed the narrative. You seem to be set in your opinion, not going to try to change it. But doesn't make sense??? OK.

However, you are simply wrong on Cody, EJ etc. I am very much aware of what factors they considered, and much of Cody's factors / considerations were public knowledge and in the media. 

56 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

There is a zero case for saying that we dodged a bullet if he goes somewhere else. Zero.

The kids that know him and have played with him (Lyle, Galloway, TJD) have been virtually begging him to come to IU. Would any of them want a me-first tool?  No. In addition, by all accounts his parents are stand-up good people.

Dodge the bullet comments/theories are sour grapes. I hope he still commits to IU, and think he would have the time of his life, but wish him well if he goes elsewhere and the program would then turn attention to the next recruit.

Well said.

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

There is a zero case for saying that we dodged a bullet if he goes somewhere else. Zero.

The kids that know him and have played with him (Lyle, Galloway, TJD) have been virtually begging him to come to IU. Would any of them want a me-first tool?  No. In addition, by all accounts his parents are stand-up good people.

Dodge the bullet comments/theories are sour grapes. I hope he still commits to IU, and think he would have the time of his life, but wish him well if he goes elsewhere and the program would then turn attention to the next recruit.

Yeah but you are making my argument for me. Unless those relationships don't matter. No sour grapes whatsoever from me. Look, the Crimson & Cream glasses are fine and we all want to say "Oh this is a GREAT kid and I wish him well wherever he goes and blah blah blah blah our team is on the rise & we are doing great and recruiting is going well & whatever". I get that mindset. I really do. It makes sense. I'm just saying, by all accounts here DG was ready to commit on his visit. I understand the emotion of it all. I really do. But if that's the case. And he has those relationships. And there was some heat on Wojo. And the situation with the Hauser's transferring and the salient point everyone is making is.......

Well, he can be the man and it's closer to home

That's the argument for Marquette?!?!?! You want to argue Kentucky? I'll bite. You want to argue Duke? Fine & dandy. You want to argue Virginia? They just won a title. You want to argue Michigan State? Ok Izzo's there. You want to argue Villanova? Can't argue with the success they've had. You want to argue North Carolina? I get that. Even with everything everyone has pointed out about Indiana, I'd get those places as well as a place like Ohio St. (I Think Holtman is doing a good job) and Louisville (big Chris Mack fan). Heck I could even see an argument for Purdue with their success. 

But Marquette?

Come on. It makes absolutely no sense. And if that makes no sense, then how does the rest of it fall into play? Leal has a MUCH better argument for attending Stanford over IU than Garcia does attending Marquette over IU. 

There is a case for dodging a bullet. You simply don't want to see it because you like the kid or are much too young to have teenagers of your own. 

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK well you just went way beyond anything I said and completely changed the narrative. You seem to be set in your opinion, not going to try to change it. But doesn't make sense??? OK.

However, you are simply wrong on Cody, EJ etc. I am very much aware of what factors they considered, and much of Cody's factors / considerations were public knowledge and in the media. 

Yes and their usage didn't come into play as to why they chose Indiana.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Got to admit, that article did sound like Marquette to me. The way he said they want me to come in and 'lead the team, and do some serious damage', just sounded like someone who already feels apart of that team/program to me. 

Hmmmm, the way they want me to come in and lead the team and do some serious damage......that sounds like something but I'm not sure what it sounds like..........

8 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Yeah but you are making my argument for me. Unless those relationships don't matter. No sour grapes whatsoever from me. Look, the Crimson & Cream glasses are fine and we all want to say "Oh this is a GREAT kid and I wish him well wherever he goes and blah blah blah blah our team is on the rise & we are doing great and recruiting is going well & whatever". I get that mindset. I really do. It makes sense. I'm just saying, by all accounts here DG was ready to commit on his visit. I understand the emotion of it all. I really do. But if that's the case. And he has those relationships. And there was some heat on Wojo. And the situation with the Hauser's transferring and the salient point everyone is making is.......

Well, he can be the man and it's closer to home

That's the argument for Marquette?!?!?! You want to argue Kentucky? I'll bite. You want to argue Duke? Fine & dandy. You want to argue Virginia? They just won a title. You want to argue Michigan State? Ok Izzo's there. You want to argue Villanova? Can't argue with the success they've had. You want to argue North Carolina? I get that. Even with everything everyone has pointed out about Indiana, I'd get those places as well as a place like Ohio St. (I Think Holtman is doing a good job) and Louisville (big Chris Mack fan). Heck I could even see an argument for Purdue with their success. 

But Marquette?

Come on. It makes absolutely no sense. And if that makes no sense, then how does the rest of it fall into play? Leal has a MUCH better argument for attending Stanford over IU than Garcia does attending Marquette over IU. 

There is a case for dodging a bullet. You simply don't want to see it because you like the kid or are much too young to have teenagers of your own. 

I couldn’t agree more. With ALL due respect if the kid chooses Marquette (and he has the right to) that doesn’t mean he isn’t making a mistake. And it is possible for someone who’s a fan of IU to have an admitted bias and still be right in the assessment. Reasonably speaking he’s making a mistake. I can’t see any other way around it.

BUT he’s free to do so!

Here's an angle I haven't seen broached: could the IU insiders be faking us out by sounding pessimistic (or less than optimistic) so as to keep from starting rumors?  Nothing like a conspiracy theory to add to all the speculation, tea leaf reading, and enemas (that is what a "physic" is, right?). xD

8 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Hmmmm, the way they want me to come in and lead the team and do some serious damage......that sounds like something but I'm not sure what it sounds like..........

I'm going to leave it here. Many have spoken to your suppositions, casting him in a negative light. This kind of negative deduction is just in bad form. If you want to have a negative outlook on recruits and make negative assumptions it's your right, but man you are simply ignoring that the players want him here, that you know nothing about him, and that this kind of negative assumption and attempt to portray the kid in a bad light, and while we're recruiting him, is just in bad form. I said you weren't going to get killed here. You're not. But seriously, this kind of stuff is just wrong.

Archived