Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm going to leave it here. Many have spoken to your suppositions, casting him in a negative light. This kind of negative deduction is just in bad form. If you want to have a negative outlook on recruits and make negative assumptions it's your right, but man you are simply ignoring that the players want him here, that you know nothing about him, and that this kind of negative assumption and attempt to portray the kid in a bad light, and while we're recruiting him, is just in bad form. I said you weren't going to get killed here. You're not. But seriously, this kind of stuff is just wrong.

I can leave it too, but I in all fairness I think you are missing my point. I'm not ignoring that the players want him here. I'm not saying I'm part of his inner circle. The only assumption I'm making is that the kid selects Marquette which is certainly within the realm of possibility if not completely likely. I have no reason to believe that every single thing everyone has said positively about the kid isn't true. If you were to ask me, I'd say it's 99.9% true. But that being said, IF everything that is said is completely accurate, then choosing Marquette over Indiana makes no sense. I'm not saying it can't happen. As @BADGERVOL said above, he's making a mistake. It's his right to make a mistake, but I can think of 20 other schools that he could choose over Indiana and I would be more than fine with it. Marquette simply isn't one of them. 

And if the only reasons given as to why he chooses Marquette is because "they want me to lead the team & do some serious damage" or proximity or "the relationship he has with Wojo" given what we potentially know about about the Hasers/Howard situation, then it makes even less sense. I'm not saying it's some big conspiracy and if you think an 17-18 year old kid makes the right decision 20% of the time, you'd be foolish to think so. All I'm arguing is that it doesn't make sense given the reasons. It's that simple. Again, I wouldn't think twice about the kid going to 20 other schools. Just the Marquette situation is a weird one. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with the dodged-a-bullet stuff either.  This would definitely sting to miss out on DG. The way I see it is he could choose Marquette due to a better chance of immediate playing time and being the focal point of the team. I can accept that versus the wanting to get to the NBA as soon as possible, like Brooks. I think IU did dodge a bullet with Brooks going to UK. I could see that messing with team chemistry where I could see Garcia fitting in better with the current team. Everyone sees these things differently though and I could be way off.

7 hours ago, ephul said:

Tough recruit to lose, but isn't the end of the world. Plenty of kids hitting the transfer market every year that can serve as holdovers for the Furst/Kaufman class.

Yup would have been a nice pick up..guess it’s not in the cards...from what I have seen UK may be one to deal with when it comes to Kaufman..they been keeping tabs on him..Furst I have no idea about..although Virginia has taken a look

1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

Hmmmm, the way they want me to come in and lead the team and do some serious damage......that sounds like something but I'm not sure what it sounds like..........

Wojo is simply selling the vision that the ball is yours the day you step on campus.  You are going  going be our main guy Hard to compete with that when we likely have to say you will have to compete and earn your time.  No rip at all on  Garcia cause being the guy is hard to turn down.

25 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Saying "I think" in front of statements about making a mistake by choosing Marquette over IU puts it in the proper tone of subjectivity.  We have no way of knowing if it is a mistake to choose the way he chooses. We can think it, but that does not make it so. 

Same with Brooks  he could be happy as heck averaging 5 a game and getting like 14 minutes a game. He is going .pro likely anyway whether he is drafted or not.

I’m sorry but it’s simply arrogant and unreasonable to say a basketball recruit is making a mistake given the fact that you don’t know him personally, what he wants or what he’s looking for. Your perception is not his perception  

further more, you have not been through the same evaluation process he went through. He has a thousand times more info than anybody on this board.

I equate this to me giving a doctor pharmaceutical advice, for a patient I don’t even know, based on commercials I’ve seen on TV.  

He’s a kid, made the best choice in his and his family’s opinion.  The coaching staff did a hell of a job just to get into the mix as late as they got involved.  No mistakes were made, the kid is far from a me first person.  The sun will come up and shine bright on Indiana after this is over.  Sorry for the rant but wow, no wonder some kids think our fan base is full of lunatics.

IUwins, I think it's unfair to paint with such a broad brush.  I think the tone is pretty civil, even from those opining that he may be making the wrong decision.  When you look at the UK forum fans literally wishing injury on a recruit that chose another school, I feel pretty good about fan temperament, at least in this forum.

1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

I can leave it too, but I in all fairness I think you are missing my point. I'm not ignoring that the players want him here. I'm not saying I'm part of his inner circle. The only assumption I'm making is that the kid selects Marquette which is certainly within the realm of possibility if not completely likely. I have no reason to believe that every single thing everyone has said positively about the kid isn't true. If you were to ask me, I'd say it's 99.9% true. But that being said, IF everything that is said is completely accurate, then choosing Marquette over Indiana makes no sense. I'm not saying it can't happen. As @BADGERVOL said above, he's making a mistake. It's his right to make a mistake, but I can think of 20 other schools that he could choose over Indiana and I would be more than fine with it. Marquette simply isn't one of them. 

And if the only reasons given as to why he chooses Marquette is because "they want me to lead the team & do some serious damage" or proximity or "the relationship he has with Wojo" given what we potentially know about about the Hasers/Howard situation, then it makes even less sense. I'm not saying it's some big conspiracy and if you think an 17-18 year old kid makes the right decision 20% of the time, you'd be foolish to think so. All I'm arguing is that it doesn't make sense given the reasons. It's that simple. Again, I wouldn't think twice about the kid going to 20 other schools. Just the Marquette situation is a weird one. 

You make it sound like Marquette should never get a recruit when IU/Kansas/Duke/UK are involved. Kids have an infinite number of reasons for and against going somewhere. The fact that he appreciated the system Wojo plays and how it compliments his game (you have to admit it is very different style then we run) is not a sign that the kid is selfish or anything like that. It isn't selfish to want to play for a coach and in a system that brings out your best attributes and benefits you the most....all kids do this. Perhaps Wojo sold him on being a leader on the team because it will be young and need offensive punch and he is best to provide it. He benefits but it also benefits the team. It isn't an either/or proposition. Archie might have told him his role here was to compliment guys around him but we have a lot of upper classman. Well, some kids want to be leaders...are more vocal and want the responsibility of carrying the burden. There are so many angles that this can be looked at. Why you choose to look at it from the negative angle that is your prerogative but I don't think most share it here. We have kids on the team that went to bat for the kid and his character in wanting him to be here. Coaches that valued his ability and mentality that they wanted him here so much so we rolled out the red carpet during his recruitment. We even have parents of players on this website that connected with his family and him and back up what a wonderful family and approach the kid was taking. Nobody has a shred of evidence the kid was a me first kid...none...and if we start accusing kids of that we have to be very careful...because Dawson was about as likable and pleasant and team oriented as I've seen us recruit with how he spoke and how his recruitment went. If we go down that road with him I reckon there won't be an unselfish recruit in the country according to your definition.

Separately, it amazes me how entitled some on here feel that we should get any recruit. Marquette is a great university with a storied basketball history as well. They have a wonderful home court that is energized and packed and avg more in attendance than us. They have a solid coach and program right now....I'd say comparable over the past few years. Marquette is also a very nice university as far as education. It is closer to home while not closest but many selling points for the kid. How the team plays and would utilize him is something he liked. Doesn't mean we are a better school or have a better history but kids choose schools every day...they don't all want to come here and that is fair. Maybe the kid likes the snow and weather...maybe the kid met someone on his visit and made a close connection. Maybe he doesn't buy into the vision Archie was selling him. We will be fine and he will be fine. Doesn't make it a mistake or make him a self absorbed ball player.

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He’s a kid, made the best choice in his and his family’s opinion.  The coaching staff did a hell of a job just to get into the mix as late as they got involved.  No mistakes were made, the kid is far from a me first person.  The sun will come up and shine bright on Indiana after this is over.  Sorry for the rant but wow, no wonder some kids think our fan base is full of lunatics.

Yeah but I highly doubt fans being lunatics has anything to do with a decision. If it did Kentucky would have a team of two star players. Same with kansas.

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Well the UK fan base was actively tweeting Brooks after his visit to Lexington and telling him that he wasn't good enough to play there.  That didn't stop him.  Let me know when our fans do that.  

3 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Yeah but I highly doubt fans being lunatics has anything to do with a decision. If it did Kentucky would have a team of two star players. Same with kansas.

I think you would have to be a lunatic yourself to follow any of these college fan postings. I know young kids are more connected and aware but look how crazy Kevin Durant is. If you worry about criticism and go seeking it out on the internet you probably are going to be a miserable person. I don't know anyone that would want to put themselves through that. You can be on social media and not try to follow fanatical comments. I assume most kids try to stick to that...especially during the season.

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The fact you are using UK fans as a barometer says enough. 

But it's relevant. Indiana fans aren't nearly as bad as many other fan bases. UK has the worst and they get whoever they want.

To say that our fan base is bad and should turn kids off is just inacurrate to me. And has no bearing on why kids come here or don't.

Like I keep saying, just win. Just win. It solves an awful lot of problems. Like in business, sales is the cure all 

10 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

But it's relevant. Indiana fans aren't nearly as bad as many other fan bases. UK has the worst and they get whoever they want.

To say that our fan base is bad and should turn kids off is just inacurrate to me. And has no bearing on why kids come here or don't.

Like I keep saying, just win. Just win. It solves an awful lot of problems. Like in business, sales is the cure all 

Each fan base has their certain over the top lunatics.  We are no different.  I’m not just talking about on here.  Twitter was/is awful for all fan bases.  

46 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

All I have to say is.. I sure as hell hope we’re playing Marquette next year! I want to beat their ass! 

Archived