Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

If IU has sucked, how bad has Marquette been? Head to head, IU dusted Marquette last year and played them straight up in a secret scrimmage this year with all but one guard sitting out. Regardless of which school Garcia goes to next season, IU will most assuredly be better than Marquette. 

If, as expected, Garcia chooses Marquette, it's not because IU sucked. That's just your frustration speaking. 

Marquette has been better than us since 2009.  They have been slightly better than us overall since 2000.  Where does Crazy come up with this crazy opinion?  Well, Marquette has made 7 NCAA tournament appearances since 2009.  Indiana has made 4.  They have made 13 tourney appearances since 2000 and we have made 11. 

That's not frustration, that is reality.  They were in the NCAA tournament last year, we have not made an appearance since 2016.  So I stand by what I said, we have sucked for the better part of the last decade.  We have several decent years (12, 13, 15, and 16) sandwiched by some really historically garbage like results for this program.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Marquette has been better than us since 2009.  They have been slightly better than us overall since 2000.  Where does Crazy come up with this crazy opinion?  Well, Marquette has made 7 NCAA tournament appearances since 2009.  Indiana has made 4.  They have made 13 tourney appearances since 2000 and we have made 11. 

That's not frustration, that is reality.  They were in the NCAA tournament last year, we have not made an appearance since 2016.  So I stand by what I said, we have sucked for the better part of the last decade.  We have several decent years (12, 13, 15, and 16) sandwiched by some really historically garbage like results for this program.

Record wise we have been pretty much even the last 5 years and recruits probably don't care about 2009

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Records going back to 2000 are probably irrelevant to Garcia.....considering he wasn't born. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Record wise we have been pretty much even the last 5 years and recruits probably don't care about 2009

When do recruits start caring?  The past 5 years?  They still look better recently.  Take off the crimson blinders man.  We have people on the thread saying there is no reason but distance to choose Marquette.  You are seriously deceiving yourselves about where this program currently stands on a national stage.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, IU Scott said:

Have they really been that much better than IU the last 5 years

Marquette                                              IU

13-19                                                      20-14

20-13                                                      27-8

19-13                                                      18-16

21-13                                                      16-15

24-10                                                      19-16

Here are the records the last 5 years

IU 100-69

MU 97-68

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Records going back to 2000 are probably irrelevant to Garcia.....considering he wasn't born. 

Good call.  You have to go back to 2000 to make us look somewhat on par with them.  Do last 10, Marquette has 7 appearances that are fairly spread out over that time (09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 19)  We have 4 appearances that are concentrated around Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell's time on campus basically (12, 13, 15, 16).  You can go back 5 and we are tied but their 2 have been more recent.

The kid may still come here and we have a season to prove that things are truly turning around on court, but let's not kid ourselves about where we actually are.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Here are the records the last 5 years

IU 100-69

MU 97-68

And?  So again to my point, "Why would anyone pick Marquette over Indiana..."  well, they are basically exactly the same on paper over the past 5 years and Marquette is better over 10.

Those results suck. 

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And?  So again to my point, "Why would anyone pick Marquette over Indiana..."  well, they are basically exactly the same on paper over the past 5 years and Marquette is better over 10.

Those results suck. 

These recruits want to see what the current coach is doing and how they are building there programs.  I picked 5 years because that is how long Wojo has been at Marquette which is what Garcia would be looking at.  If you look at Wojo first two years there are pretty comparable to Archie's first tow years here.  I never said our results were good but just comparing them to Marquette which seems to be our competition for Garcia.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You have to remember, these are 17-18 year old kids.  5 years is 20-30% of their entire lifetime, and nearly half of the time that they have recallable memories from. 

Right.  And Marquette looks a little better in recent history.  If I am a recruit, you are selling me on a future vision if you cannot sell results.  They have more results recently then us.  So we have to sell future vision more, that works for local kids and Miller has been effectively selling that vision for the most part.  I think that is a harder sell for out of state kids.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

These recruits want to see what the current coach is doing and how they are building there programs.  I picked 5 years because that is how long Wojo has been at Marquette which is what Garcia would be looking at.  If you look at Wojo first two years there are pretty comparable to Archie's first tow years here.  I never said our results were good but just comparing them to Marquette which seems to be our competition for Garcia.

Frankly I hope the kid pulls a rabbit out of a hat for us.  I would like to start seeing results on the court so that these commitments don't seem like as big of a deal.

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Right.  And Marquette looks a little better in recent history.  If I am a recruit, you are selling me on a future vision if you cannot sell results.  They have more results recently then us.  So we have to sell future vision more, that works for local kids and Miller has been effectively selling that vision for the most part.  I think that is a harder sell for out of state kids.  

So how does Marquette look any better than IU in the last 5 years.  yes they made the tournament but have not won a game.  Wojo missed the tournament 3 out of 5 years as a head coach where Archie has only been here two years.  Archie deserves more time to see what kind of coach he is here at IU before making a rash judgment on him.  If you look at both coaches total history of being a head coach then Archie tournament record is far superior to Wojo

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Which of these coaches looks better?

27-9, NCAA 2nd Round
25-8, NCAA 1st Round
24-8, NCAA 1st Round
16-15
19-16, NIT Quarterfinals

5 year total: 111-56 (66%)

13-19
20-13
19-13, NCAA 1st Round
21-14, NIT Quarterfinal
24-10, NCAA 1st Round

5 year total: 97-69 (58%)

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So how does Marquette look any better than IU in the last 5 years.  yes they made the tournament but have not won a game.  Wojo missed the tournament 3 out of 5 years as a head coach where Archie has only been here two years.  Archie deserves more time to see what kind of coach he is here at IU before making a rash judgment on him.  If you look at both coaches total history of being a head coach then Archie tournament record is far superior to Wojo

I think he's going there because he wants to be the man and doesn't care about winning.  Nothing else makes sense.  There's no guarantee he'd start or get major minutes here next season.  If Justin continues to improve and Jerome gets healthy it's highly possible that our starting 5 will be Rob, Al, Jerome, Justin, and TJD.  Plus we still have Race and Joey.  Marquette can promise him 30 minutes and lots of touches.  We can't.

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Frankly I hope the kid pulls a rabbit out of a hat for us.  I would like to start seeing results on the court so that these commitments don't seem like as big of a deal.

.....The "#1 priority, main man, everything will run through you" pitch,  that Marquette has continuously tried to sell may be the difference here. At IU, yes he would be stud and most likely a starter, but I guarantee Archie's pitch was much different than that. Honestly, I would hate to be that guy that everything is run through.....JMHO. I know some kids, now days, feed off of that. A potential drawback, is animosity among some players and lack of team unity.

1 minute ago, Wayward1 said:

Garcia has said in his interviews that the relationship with the coach is key. The kid likes Wojo and clearly trusts him. I really don't think he's comparing post season wins over the past five years as a factor.

Well he should be worried that Wojo might be on the hot seat so if he has a bad year this year he might not be there.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think he's going there because he wants to be the man and doesn't care about winning.  Nothing else makes sense.  There's no guarantee he'd start or get major minutes here next season.  If Justin continues to improve and Jerome gets healthy it's highly possible that our starting 5 will be Rob, Al, Jerome, Justin, and TJD.  Plus we still have Race and Joey.  Marquette can promise him 30 minutes and lots of touches.  We can't.

Careful. I made that same argument yesterday and it wasn't received well!

I mean I don't think there is anything inherently selfish or wrong with wanting to start or get lots of playing time. These kids are trying to get drafted, so while for us the commitment to the team is the most important, we can't write people off as selfish because they are making a tough decision for their future.

Archived