Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

Playing time, folks. The allure of being "the guy". It's a tough pitch to beat with some kids.

Can't blame him for wanting it. But we're establishing a program with steadily progressing upper classmen. Archie made his pitch. Didn't lie to the kid. 

Neither did Wojo. His program lives and dies by a select few. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that type of system is going to catch the attention of some high profile kids.

Best of luck to the kid. We'll get by. Great kids hit the grad transfer portal every year.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can’t measure recruiting ONLY on who you get in the end. At least not yet. Anyone who’s followed recruiting for a long time in college FB and BB knows this. The first step is getting the visits from top talent. But you don’t get many or any. Then you start making final fours and 3s and what not but missing most and grabbing a few. Then finally you start getting your fair share...as many as the other big name schools. Along the way you have to show you can develop the ones you are getting. 

Archie is trending well. He’ll get it done. I have complete faith in him to do so.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Well then you have to look at Archie, and no one here wants to do that. It sure isnt the campus, tradition, or fan base. or wojo promised him the moon and Archie didn't.

RMK never promised a recruit anything other than the opportunity...I’m not sure what wojo promised him but it was probably a bunch of BS...that’s not in CAM dna to do that...one thing about Garcia he should be commended for if he does chose Marquette is the fact that he said they have been recruiting him the longest and had built a relationship with him...least he has some loyalty to him...some players dont

For everyone talking about grad transfer....do you really think there will be a grad transfer that will want to come here and try to fight out minutes with Smith, Trayce, Race, Jerome, Damezi, and Brunk? I mean a border line 5* kid thought better of it why would a senior with one year left of play do it?

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

RMK never promised a recruit anything other than the opportunity...I’m not sure what wojo promised him but it was probably a bunch of BS...that’s not in CAM dna to do that...one thing about Garcia he should be commended for if he does chose Marquette is the fact that he said they have been recruiting him the longest and had built a relationship with him...least he has some loyalty to him...some players dont

But that's what the great recruiters do.  They say whatever they have to to close the sale.  Do you think Keion would've chosen UK if he had been told he was likely coming off the bench and only getting 10 minutes or so a game?  I'm sure his pops was promised a lot more.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

But that's what the great recruiters do.  They say whatever they have to to close the sale.  Do you think Keion would've chosen UK if he had been told he was likely coming off the bench and only getting 10 minutes or so a game?  I'm sure his pops was promised a lot more.

Coach K and Cal does not promise anything but an opportunity to compete for playing time.  As for off the court promises woo knows but playing time and shots are not promised.  To me the coaches who promises these things are just salesman and are desperate.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Coach K and Cal does not promise anything but an opportunity to compete for playing time.  As for off the court promises woo knows but playing time and shots are not promised.  To me the coaches who promises these things are just salesman and are desperate.

How do you know what Cal does or doesn't promise?

12 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

You can’t measure recruiting ONLY on who you get in the end. At least not yet. Anyone who’s followed recruiting for a long time in college FB and BB knows this. The first step is getting the visits from top talent. But you don’t get many or any. Then you start making final fours and 3s and what not but missing most and grabbing a few. Then finally you start getting your fair share...as many as the other big name schools. Along the way you have to show you can develop the ones you are getting. 

Archie is trending well. He’ll get it done. I have complete faith in him to do so.

IU basketball’s recruiting is absolutely measured by who they get in the end.  Archie isn’t running the football program... IU basketball has always attracted elite recruits, no matter who was at the helm.  Crean got a ton of elite recruits, and even Archie came in and landed two five stars in his first two recruiting classes.  This isn’t some project where Archie has to build a no-name program from the ground up to get highly-ranked recruits.

His recruiting has fallen off a bit since last year’s disaster, but he still managed to land a decent class for 2020.  He’ll have to show he can win this year to start landing recruits like Brooks and Garcia again.  Until then, there are no moral victories in recruiting for a program like IU.

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Promised is one thing..fulfilling is another...most of those guys are also considered slim,cheaters,dirty...some of those players need to look Thur the BS..I bet KB wishes he wouldn’t have listened to whatever to close the deal...and I know it happens..but it won’t at Indiana

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

How do you know what Cal does or doesn't promise?

Just look at how there team plays and how most of those top players by into his system. The year Anthony Davis was on the team he was 5th in shot attempts so if he was promised to be the man he would have never bought in.  Also I have heard plenty of interviews with former UK players and they said the same thing.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at how there team plays and how most of those top players by into his system. The year Anthony Davis was on the team he was 5th in shot attempts so if he was promised to be the man he would have never bought in.  Also I have heard plenty of interviews with former UK players and they said the same thing.

It's probably not what Cal promises...it's the vision he sells..."I think you're the next Anthony Davis"..."your game is just like John Walls"...you can bet he's firing up recruits with stuff like that.  Just about every coach with players in the league is going to play that game.  Build the kid up to the point he thinks he's going to be a star at your school.  Even without making promises, I'll bet Keion feels a little disillusioned right now. Vision can be quite different from reality and you can bet Cal is selling it.

Archived