Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The kid is probably one of the most polished 4s I’ve seen. Shoot, drive, rebound, some post moves. He would be amazing alongside Trayce and Brunk. He would have all the minutes he can handle.

Im excited to hear he is a priority. 

To piggyback....I applaud the strategy. Get all the little pieces, strong basketball players, friends,etc....get everyone else all signed by Mid-Sept and say the following. We're only recruiting 1 more person this year Mr. Garcia. That's you. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To piggyback....I applaud the strategy. Get all the little pieces, strong basketball players, friends,etc....get everyone else all signed by Mid-Sept and say the following. We're only recruiting 1 more person this year Mr. Garcia. That's you. 

Problem is that they have said all along that Cross is also a top priority.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not really because Cross is expected to decide by the end of September at the latest according to most. Most guesses have him committing to a school within a couple weeks.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think we are saying get our 3rd recruit signed soon (Cross, Geronimo, Bridges) then hold that 4th scholarship for Garcia or Love (long shot). Else we roll it into 21. Since Garcia, Love, and a lesser chance Brown-Ferguson reclassifying all would probably happen in the spring we can wait and see.

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The only problem I see is that we'll have TJD at the 4 and Brunk a senior as the starting 5 most likely.  I'm sure Iowa, Marquette and the others are telling him that he'll start right away there while at Indiana you're coming off the bench.  

5 stars are starting at IU from day 1 until further notice. Maybe not at a few other select schools....but in this scenario Joey would be told to step aside Butch. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

5 stars are starting at IU from day 1 until further notice. Maybe not at a few other select schools....but in this scenario Joey would be told to step aside Butch. 

I think so. Brunk won’t start this year so he isn’t promised anything...and with bigs you have to manage minutes and fouls anyways. No problem they all avg 20-30 minutes a night. They will rotate with Garcia and Trayce at the 4 and 5 and Brunk playing the 5 and Trayce or Garcia at the 4. I mean Joey wasn’t even getting 20 mins at Butler I’m sure he understands his role with us. He might be our only true 5 but he isn’t going to play 30 mins a night most nights.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think so. Brunk won’t start this year so he isn’t promised anything...and with bigs you have to manage minutes and fouls anyways. No problem they all avg 20-30 minutes a night. They will rotate with Garcia and Trayce at the 4 and 5 and Brunk playing the 5 and Trayce or Garcia at the 4. I mean Joey wasn’t even getting 20 mins at Butler I’m sure he understands his role with us. He might be our only true 5 but he isn’t going to play 30 mins a night most nights.

That's the beauty of the strategy if this thing comes together. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

In all fairness to Brunk he may play 30 minutes or more but that’s is speculation we don’t know how he will perform here I do speculate that he will play better here than at butler 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the beauty of the strategy if this thing comes together. 

The other beauty is that it sets things up perfectly for a run at Lander and Kaufman in the 2021 class. No PG in the 2020 class in this scenario, and assuming TJD is gone by 2021, then Kaufman has a day one starting spot and would form a dynamic starting front court with Garcia.

13 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The other beauty is that it sets things up perfectly for a run at Lander and Kaufman in the 2021 class. No PG in the 2020 class in this scenario, and assuming TJD is gone by 2021, then Kaufman has a day one starting spot and would form a dynamic starting front court with Garcia.

Yep. All day long. I can see the pieces and spots coming together. The vision is there. My guess is it's always been there but Archie was hamstrung by a few things his first couple classes. 2021 Final four in Indy. Haha.

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. All day long. I can see the pieces and spots coming together. The vision is there. My guess is it's always been there but Archie was hamstrung by a few things his first couple classes. 2021 Final four in Indy. Haha.

I still think back to RMK saying that the fans would be pleased with the hiring of CAM,but the turn around ain’t gonna happen overnight.

7 hours ago, Cutter said:

In all fairness to Brunk he may play 30 minutes or more but that’s is speculation we don’t know how he will perform here I do speculate that he will play better here than at butler 

I feel pretty confident. Juwan avg just under 30 mins per game. Brunk (along with just about any big man) is not going to play more minutes than that and likely will avg between 20-25 depending on conditioning, effectiveness, and fouls. Romeo was the only player on the team to avg over 30 mins...and it felt like he never came out of the game. Brunk won’t play that many. He will get a good share no doubt but I feel confident it probably will be closer to 20. It’s about how we use him and not how much.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I feel pretty confident. Juwan avg just under 30 mins per game. Brunk (along with just about any big man) is not going to play more minutes than that and likely will avg between 20-25 depending on conditioning, effectiveness, and fouls. Romeo was the only player on the team to avg over 30 mins...and it felt like he never came out of the game. Brunk won’t play that many. He will get a good share no doubt but I feel confident it probably will be closer to 20. It’s about how we use him and not how much.

I'm interested to see just how many minutes Brunk gets next season. I didn't see many Butler games last year, but its a bit curious to me that he only averaged 18.6 mins a game on a team that finished last in the Big East.  Not sure we can realistically expect him to play more than that in the B1G unless there were some other issues we don't know about.  

2 hours ago, TargaFlorio said:

I'm interested to see just how many minutes Brunk gets next season. I didn't see many Butler games last year, but its a bit curious to me that he only averaged 18.6 mins a game on a team that finished last in the Big East.  Not sure we can realistically expect him to play more than that in the B1G unless there were some other issues we don't know about.  

I attribute that to Butler’s style of play. Remember, he was recruited by Holtmann who prefers to play through his bigs. Jordan likes a more guard heavy offense and Fowler is a much better pick and pop guy with more range. Brunk started 13 games to Joey’s 13 but they played almost identical minutes (18.6 for Brunk to Fowler’s 18.5) yet Brunk was extremely more efficient from the field, averaged more points, and grabbed more rebounds.

I think Joey wants to be a contributing piece but he is also here to go to grad school. I doubt Archie was promising him starting minutes etc. I see a similar role for him as he had at Butler except I think when he is on the floor he will be the focus of the interior offense. I mean we have Davis who will start at the 5 (health willing) and Trayce a 5 star and Justin Smith a starter and Race a top 100 kid so Brunk had to know he is coming into a deep front court. I think his decision was about getting his masters, staying close to home, and being a Hoosier.

34 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

For clarity, Brunk is significantly ahead of Deron Davis at current writing. Deron is IU's 3rd-string "C" as of right now and I don't know how much will change moving forward. Ultimately, the ball is in Deron's court about the kind of impact he wants to have for his final season of basketball. 

Just wanted to point that out. Ultimately, Deron "can" play a big part next year. Needs to focus on his body and get a bit lucky to stay healthy since he just isn't put together very well. 

But, in the 1-on-1's this summer and all of their testing: Brunk beat out Deron in just about everything. 

Just pointing this out. 

So was Archie lying when he said Deron was in great shape in Evansville tonight? Just curious about that. 

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Juwan averaged that much but also had huge foul issues had he not put himself on the bench frequently he would have averaged more

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I will stick to my speculation Brunk will get 30 minutes a game

8 hours ago, CoachSS said:

For clarity, Brunk is significantly ahead of Deron Davis at current writing. Deron is IU's 3rd-string "C" as of right now and I don't know how much will change moving forward. Ultimately, the ball is in Deron's court about the kind of impact he wants to have for his final season of basketball. 

Just wanted to point that out. Ultimately, Deron "can" play a big part next year. Needs to focus on his body and get a bit lucky to stay healthy since he just isn't put together very well. 

But, in the 1-on-1's this summer and all of their testing: Brunk beat out Deron in just about everything. 

Just pointing this out. 

Thanks coach for the info. I'm a bit shocked to learn De'Ron is not the #1 big man in our team. Also feeling fortunate to have Joey. I thought De'Ron's issue was conditioning and mobility, which he would've significantly improved through the off-season workout. Of course, De'Ron can have a true breakout season, but it was surprising to me he was/is way behind Joey. We know and have seen what healthy De'Ron can bring to the table. I'm now more excited to see what Joey can do and how he can fit into the team. 

8 hours ago, DC2345 said:

So was Archie lying when he said Deron was in great shape in Evansville tonight? Just curious about that. 

This is all speculation and guessing. But, knowing what we've heard about Brunk, his passion, how hard he plays and works, etc., I'm guessing that Brunk has brought a level of work ethic and passion to offseason workouts that hasn't been around this program since probably Yogi. When someone like that comes in, it can really stand out compared to the guys that were already there who thought they were working as hard as they could, but probably really weren't. 

Again, these are all assumptions by me, but I'm guessing this is why Brunk is winning right now, if that is accurate. If my assumptions are correct, then the real hope is that how Brunk is operating is being adopted by guys like TJD, Franklin, Phinisee, Anderson and some of the other young guys. That's when you have a program, not a team. 

This isn't to say that De'Ron wasn't working hard, he probably thinks he always has been, but sometimes it take a new guy coming in like Brunk to make you realize you can go even harder. 

Archived