Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

I probably would have had Oladipo in the middle not Zeller.  One of the players, maybe it was Elston, said on the Hoosier Hysterics that Crean psyched the team out.  That was the genius of Knight.  He’d come up with a brilliant plan to begin with, but he’d also convince the players his plan would work.  Here, Crean whiffed on both traits.  The players were discombobulated and it stemmed from both a bad plan and being somewhere between psyched out and panicked.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Zeller was put at the foul line in that game, but he had zero confidence in his jump shot and refused to shoot it.  Remember, he got at least two charges and probably 3-5 shots blocked when he passes up the wide open foul line jumper for barreling into Cuse’s big men who were sagging off him. 

This, so much!

Crean had Cody at the foul line, get the ball over and over. Cody was just not taking advantage for whatever reason.

Crean had faults. But the Syracuse game is so over blown.

Cody was in position, and did not produce. Our best shooter was undersized and had a broken shoulder.

That was one game I feel was more on the players, injuries etc more than the coach.

Sorry to dive off topic. But the Syracuse narrative is a hot button topic for me.

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This, so much!

Crean had Cody at the foul line, get the ball over and over. Cody was just not taking advantage for whatever reason.

Cody was in position, and did not produce. Our best shooter was undersized and had a broken shoulder.

That was one game I feel was more on the players, injuries etc more than the coach.

Sorry to dive off topic. But the Syracuse narrative is a hot button topic for me.

Amen and I agree. It's the whole confirmation bias thing. People who were looking for a reason found one....but in my little two cent opinion that game was as much on players if not more. 

PS....Hopefully Garcia chooses IU!

On 11/15/2019 at 4:03 PM, milehiiu said:

Nothing is stopping you from leaving.  I am sure others, based on what you have posted recently, and what I have read, would not feel badly if you did. 

In over ten years, I have never asked a member to stay, whenever they have said they were leaving.  Nor have I ever requested them to leave.  It's your choice.

and what have i recently posted that would warrant that? feel free to post anything i have said that would be considered rude. just saying you guys aren't any friendlier or more decent than any other fan site

1 minute ago, coachv said:

and what have i recently posted that would warrant that? feel free to post anything i have said that would be considered rude. just saying you guys aren't any friendlier or more decent than any other fan site

coachv, I have asked everybody to move on. On both sides. If you wanna discuss that, I am sure mile will discuss via a private message. I really want us to get back to basketball and Garcia here 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This, so much!

I never thought it was overblown but rather exposed the situation.  It was a stark example of a coach—who never played, mind you—being very limited.  It showed everybody, out in the open, plain to see, where Crean‘s limits were.  If you pull it up on YouTube, it’s even worse than we remember.  You had a team not just poorly prepared or subject to a poor scheme, but you had a team mentally shaking in its collective boots.  

There were problems with style of play, that were also visible in things like going 3-17 against Wisconsin. That wasn’t a fluke.  It showed everybody, again plain to see, how Crean’s system was capped out against super, fundamentally sound teams.  There were obviously other problems.  

We can all try to figure out Crean’s dysfunctions.  It’s not just that he didn’t play.  He was anointed a hot young coach way too soon, largely on recruiting the Flintstones to MSU.  But he landed Marquette too soon and frankly didn’t have the coaching gravitas yet.  Then, you take a guy who was inflexible and unwilling to change year to year with his X’s and O’s, other than doubling down on bad ideas.  He could have also brought in an X’s and O’s savant to help him, and he refused to do it.  

But, the Syracuse game was a watershed moment because that exemplified the problems with the coaching staff, their philosophies, etc.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I never thought it was overblown but rather exposed the situation.  It was a stark example of a coach—who never played, mind you—being very limited.  It showed everybody, out in the open, plain to see, where Crean‘s limits were.  If you pull it up on YouTube, it’s even worse than we remember.  You had a team not just poorly prepared or subject to a poor scheme, but you had a team mentally shaking in its collective boots.  

There were problems with style of play, that were also visible in things like going 3-17 against Wisconsin. That wasn’t a fluke.  It showed everybody, again plain to see, how Crean’s system was capped out against super, fundamentally sound teams.  There were obviously other problems.  

We can all try to figure out Crean’s dysfunctions.  It’s not just that he didn’t play.  He was anointed a hot young coach way too soon, largely on recruiting the Flintstones to MSU.  But he landed Marquette too soon and frankly didn’t have the coaching gravitas yet.  Then, you take a guy who was inflexible and unwilling to change year to year with his X’s and O’s, other than doubling down on bad ideas.  He could have also brought in an X’s and O’s savant to help him, and he refused to do it.  

But, the Syracuse game was a watershed moment because that exemplified the problems with the coaching staff, their philosophies, etc.  

I agree on some points, disagree on others. Let's just agree I am smarter than you so we do not hijack the thread?   😛

16 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

coachv, I have asked everybody to move on. On both sides. If you wanna discuss that, I am sure mile will discuss via a private message. I really want us to get back to basketball and Garcia here 

i have never started or retaliated other than to put many here on ignore. you can feel free to check every post i have ever made here to verify that.

30 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This, so much!

there is a lot more that crean coached incorrectly against the zone than what was going on in the middle of it. and not just against syracuse either. crean was clueless against all zones and zone pressure

41 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I probably would have had Oladipo in the middle not Zeller.  One of the players, maybe it was Elston, said on the Hoosier Hysterics that Crean psyched the team out.  That was the genius of Knight.  He’d come up with a brilliant plan to begin with, but he’d also convince the players his plan would work.  Here, Crean whiffed on both traits.  The players were discombobulated and it stemmed from both a bad plan and being somewhere between psyched out and panicked.  

Maybe it was cutting down nets after a loss? SMH

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Dawson Garcia has made the Prior Lake first term honor roll.  Check out the Senior class :

Prior Lake High School Honor Roll, 2019-2020 first term |

Congrats to Dawson and his wonderful family. We forget in the midst of all this he is still going to school and obviously studying hard and getting grades. Smart kid would fit in perfectly with our other smart 2020 recruits! Might be one of the brightest classes we ever brought in!

14 minutes ago, coachv said:

there is a lot more that crean coached incorrectly against the zone than what was going on in the middle of it. and not just against syracuse either. crean was clueless against all zones and zone pressure

Yes, I think that the problems IU faced against the zone were endemic and that particular game was merely case-in-point. Moreover, I don't think having Cody at the foul line was the right move given that his reticence to shoot was already well documented by that time in college. He came out of High School known as a very effective shooter to fifteen feet (and perhaps a bit further) but showed almost none of that in his two years in Bloomington. He had been very effective going down hill against man to man from the high post but that did not translate to attacking the Syracuse zone given the length awaiting him at the rim.

I believe that Watford at the High Post would have been significantly more effective in drawing the back line of Syracuse higher. That would have been very helpful to Oladipo attacking the gaps off the dribble and Zeller behind the zone.

The sad fact is, the second half began with a spark from Will Sheehey getting behind the zone on several possessions in a row and Crean proceeded to pull him out of the game.

And yes, Hulls injury did not help, nor did the size of our backcourt. But that team was already on edge going down the stretch needing basically several miracle finishes to win the Big Ten outright (at Michigan, a tough place to win to be sure) after which we underperformed in the Big Ten tournament, and then to beat Temple who gave us all we could handle.

That being Said, I believe that Dawson Garcia would be an absolute zone killer given that you could move him around from short corner extended, to the high post, and also use him to pick and pop on the perimeter.

Archie is much better at giving his teams a coherent attack against the zone.

13 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Yes, I think that the problems IU faced against the zone were endemic and that particular game was merely case-in-point. Moreover, I don't think having Cody at the foul line was the right move given that his reticence to shoot was already well documented by that time in college. He came out of High School known as a very effective shooter to fifteen feet (and perhaps a bit further) but showed almost none of that in his two years in Bloomington. He had been very effective going down hill against man to man from the high post but that did not translate to attacking the Syracuse zone given the length awaiting him at the rim.

I believe that Watford at the High Post would have been significantly more effective in drawing the back line of Syracuse higher. That would have been very helpful to Oladipo attacking the gaps off the dribble and Zeller behind the zone.

The sad fact is, the second half began with a spark from Will Sheehey getting behind the zone on several possessions in a row and Crean proceeded to pull him out of the game.

And yes, Hulls injury did not help, nor did the size of our backcourt. But that team was already on edge going down the stretch needing basically several miracle finishes to win the Big Ten outright (at Michigan, a tough place to win to be sure) after which we underperformed in the Big Ten tournament, and then to beat Temple who gave us all we could handle.

That being Said, I believe that Dawson Garcia would be an absolute zone killer given that you could move him around from short corner extended, to the high post, and also use him to pick and pop on the perimeter.

Archie is much better at giving his teams a coherent attack against the zone.

zeller should have been given the green light to shoot from day one, and as crean used to love to say, "there's no doubt about that". the other thing is, don't camp a guy at the high post. flash a big in there for a few seconds, then get back out if you don't get the ball. weak side wing can flash there too, especially if pass from wing to top of key extended is contested. worse for crean was his perimeter players constantly running around the perimeter and not lined up, and staying lined up with the natural gaps of a zone. move the ball against zone, move the man against man defense. as taught to me by none other than coach knight

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Well, there were those two years in the mid-70’s....

Yep. Thanks for proving or reiterating my point. The Brady Bunch just ended the last time it happened, right? Kidding aside...probably a few times during Knight years but since 2000? Not often. 

Archived