Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Name to keep an eye on. Same AAU team as Race and Hurt. Ostrom watched him last night. No offer yet.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dawson-Garcia-46050093/

4* PF in 2020, ranked 28th in the composite.

He seems to have some pretty nice fundamentals. Nice handles for a bigger guy. Keeps his head up when driving...made some nice passes. Shot didn't look too bad. Not going to be a bruiser or shot blocker but looks like he knows how to get the ball in the basket.

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Gimme shooters 

I think shooting is gonna come with age. 

Archie has stated about 3 exact things he wants in this program... build inside-out, heavy focus on defense and “get old, stay old”. 

I think will be comfortable with where our shooting will be in 2 years with Rob, Al, Damezi, Hunter, Brooks, maybe Armaan and I expect to see Justin start to open up that part of his game. 

This just comes with age and practice and not being able to just drive every time. These high level athletes haven’t needed the outside shot because no one could guard them growing up. Shooting will be fine. We don’t need a defensive liability and fairly one dimensional offensive players On the floor. We’ve seen what guys like that on our current team do to the flow. 

Very well said, Cohete.  I think you are on point that shooting will improve with maturity.  Honestly, no disrespect intended, I doubt Archie would have recruited a small, not too athletic guy in Jordan Hulls unless he had an extra scholly. He doesn’t seem to fit Archie’s style. 

I love defense.  I like making the offensive guys uncomfortable. So I’m happy with the sea change here on defense.  No matter how poorly your offense is going on an off night, your defense can keep you in it.  

Having said all that, it’s frustrating right now that we don’t have enough shooting.  We miss alot at the free throw line and that may not appreciably improve.  Early on, you might argue sample size but reality may be it’s in the DNA of the roster.  The missed free throws are essentially like a more evil form of a turnover because you are wiping away points.  

Then you come down on offense and can’t get an easy three, and possessions get convoluted and difficult.  And a delta may be created with an opponent popping threes more regularly.  So, you have missed free throws and an inability for a lights out shooter to bail you out, but also cluterring the lane for an exceptional driver in the lane, who may have three guys attack him into the lane because IU’s shooters don’t scare them.  

So, while I agree some of the guys may be solid in time, finding a 3 and D shooter or two would not hurt my feelings. If we found a Kevin Huerter, just as an example, we’d be that much better.  

And as discussed elsewhere, not having Jerome Hunter has been devastating.  I really believe Langford, Hunter, and Phinisee would be the three amigos as freshmen, all three giving us a ton of juice.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very well said, Cohete.  I think you are on point that shooting will improve with maturity.  Honestly, no disrespect intended, I doubt Archie would have recruited a small, not too athletic guy in Jordan Hulls unless he had an extra scholly. He doesn’t seem to fit Archie’s style. 

I love defense.  I like making the offensive guys uncomfortable. So I’m happy with the sea change here on defense.  No matter how poorly your offense is going on an off night, your defense can keep you in it.  

Having said all that, it’s frustrating right now that we don’t have enough shooting.  We miss alot at the free throw line and that may not appreciably improve.  Early on, you might argue sample size but reality may be it’s in the DNA of the roster.  The missed free throws are essentially like a more evil form of a turnover because you are wiping away points.  

Then you come down on offense and can’t get an easy three, and possessions get convoluted and difficult.  And a delta may be created with an opponent popping threes more regularly.  So, you have missed free throws and an inability for a lights out shooter to bail you out, but also cluterring the lane for an exceptional driver in the lane, who may have three guys attack him into the lane because IU’s shooters don’t scare them.  

So, while I agree some of the guys may be solid in time, finding a 3 and D shooter or two would not hurt my feelings. If we found a Kevin Huerter, just as an example, we’d be that much better.  

And as discussed elsewhere, not having Jerome Hunter has been devastating.  I really believe Langford, Hunter, and Phinisee would be the three amigos as freshmen, all three giving us a ton of juice.  

Hunter's shooting was very underrated. I agree the one thing we lack right now is that 3 and D shooter....basically if Justin could shoot that would be the guy. When guys like Romeo and Juwan draw doubles and attention in the lane the ability to kick out and shoot from that forward spot would be perfect. I know Green and Al will shoot it and Robert is growing more confident but that one more guy (it ain't Mcroberts or Smith right now) would make the world of difference. I love the defense we are playing...it's exciting and fantastic! That said we can't be one dimensional. Defense will win you plenty of games...but the thing is you still need to have some shooting. Defense usually doesn't blow teams out...so it means a lot of close games...and will keep you in it against better competition but it usually doesn't help you separate unless you force tons of turnovers and face break points. Look at Virginia....best defense in the country most years...but they get against a great shooting night/team and they just don't have the O to win...they just fall short. Seen it a lot in the tournament. I'd love to have both...ala Villanova last year. I know that's a special team but I would love to get that kind of balanced shooting but willing to man you up as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not over powering but a nice game from a big. Like he is a lefty too...I think would give other bigs fits because they are used to guys going to their right etc.

Me likey. If my eyes are working correctly, I think he used both hands?!

10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Me likey. If my eyes are working correctly, I think he used both hands?!

I saw that a couple times around the rim and even a floater. With his shooting and decent ball handling bigs have to come out on him...perfect 4 if you ask me. Plant him along side Brunk to do the dirty work will be nice and Trayce posting down low a nice compliment.

13 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

The perfect 4 in Archie’s offense — good length and excellent range. Yes please with Morton

Yes give me Morton and either Gracia/Loveday along with Leal/Galloway. Really any of those combinations...but we need bigs with Davis, Brunk, Smith gone in a couple years and very possibly Trayce too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:02 PM, dgambill said:

Yes give me Morton and either Gracia/Loveday along with Leal/Galloway. Really any of those combinations...but we need bigs with Davis, Brunk, Smith gone in a couple years and very possibly Trayce too.

Could I interest you in Pack, Leal, Galloway, and Garcia?

Good article on Garcia.  It’s dated.  He doesn’t mention IU but we’ve since offered. I linked it because it talks about his game.  Sounds like he checks all the boxes you’d want in terms of shooting, movement, and motor. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/2019/02/18/marquette-2020-prospect-dawson-garcia-prior-lake-minnesota/2909662002/

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes and since I am greedy follow it up with some Lander Furst and Kaufman please and thanks

Those 3 along with winning the next 5 head to head recruiting battles vs Kentucky or Carolina or Duke. Only at that time will I be satisfied with recruiting. Haha.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Those 3 along with winning the next 5 head to head recruiting battles vs Kentucky or Carolina or Duke. Only at that time will I be satisfied with recruiting. Haha.

Looks like we need to start by beating OSU and Purdue first....then we can move up to the big dogs.

Archived