Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is all speculation and guessing. But, knowing what we've heard about Brunk, his passion, how hard he plays and works, etc., I'm guessing that Brunk has brought a level of work ethic and passion to offseason workouts that hasn't been around this program since probably Yogi. When someone like that comes in, it can really stand out compared to the guys that were already there who thought they were working as hard as they could, but probably really weren't. 

Again, these are all assumptions by me, but I'm guessing this is why Brunk is winning right now, if that is accurate. If my assumptions are correct, then the real hope is that how Brunk is operating is being adopted by guys like TJD, Franklin, Phinisee, Anderson and some of the other young guys. That's when you have a program, not a team. 

This isn't to say that De'Ron wasn't working hard, he probably thinks he always has been, but sometimes it take a new guy coming in like Brunk to make you realize you can go even harder. 

All of what I have heard on Assembly Call was that Davis is in great shape and it looks like he has toned his body up from what it was.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

All of what I have heard on Assembly Call was that Davis is in great shape and it looks like he has toned his body up from what it was.

I've heard the same. And as I said, I wasn't saying that Davis wasn't working hard, but there are levels to hard work. I've been in situations where most everyone was working as hard as they could, or at least thought they were, then someone new comes in and raises the level even more. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I've heard the same. And as I said, I wasn't saying that Davis wasn't working hard, but there are levels to hard work. I've been in situations where most everyone was working as hard as they could, or at least thought they were, then someone new comes in and raises the level even more. 

That reminds me of my old days working at a bank. I went in a small town branch to do assessment work and the tellers really felt like they were busy that day. When we looked at their tapes, they averaged about 6 or 7 transactions per hour. Some of our drive-through tellers were averaging 30-40.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

That reminds me of my old days working at a bank. I went in a small town branch to do assessment work and the tellers really felt like they were busy that day. When we looked at their tapes, they averaged about 6 or 7 transactions per hour. Some of our drive-through tellers were averaging 30-40.

Yeah, it happens all the time. New blood or fresh eyes on a group can really help and change things. 

5 hours ago, Cutter said:

I will stick to my speculation Brunk will get 30 minutes a game

Thanks @CoachSS for the info!

i think you are over estimating what a typical 5 plays. Cody Zeller never avg 30 mins a game. He was just under with 28-29.  Brunk will not avg more than that. Not with Davis on the roster who avg almost 14 last year. If Davis just keeps his minutes Brunk will avg 26 because they are both 5s. I think Trayce will play a lot of 5 too so they will eat some as well. I’m still expecting 20-25 mins for Brunk. He will be banging with B1G bodies all year...he won’t be able to stay out of foul trouble to avg more. Just my take.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks @CoachSS for the info!

i think you are over estimating what a typical 5 plays. Cody Zeller never avg 30 mins a game. He was just under with 28-29.  Brunk will not avg more than that. Not with Davis on the roster who avg almost 14 last year. If Davis just keeps his minutes Brunk will avg 26 because they are both 5s. I think Trayce will play a lot of 5 too so they will eat some as well. I’m still expecting 20-25 mins for Brunk. He will be banging with B1G bodies all year...he won’t be able to stay out of foul trouble to avg more. Just my take.

I look forward to see whose guess is close. I think Brunk will get minutes at the so called 4 as well. Should be some double post activity I would guess 

2 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I look forward to see whose guess is close. I think Brunk will get minutes at the so called 4 as well. Should be some double post activity I would guess 

Hey just a friendly wager. Whatever helps the team win. I don’t see Brunk and Davis on the floor together. Too much defensive liability..but who knows. With Trayce and Justin at the 4 and Race getting some minutes now I don’t see a lot of meat on that bone. Considering it looks like Archie is going with wings at the 4 in the future (or at least stretch 4s) I think he goes small ball more likely than two bigs. But just a guess! I’m happy we have Brunk. Happy we are deep with bigs...been a long time since that has happened!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hey just a friendly wager. Whatever helps the team win. I don’t see Brunk and Davis on the floor together. Too much defensive liability..but who knows. With Trayce and Justin at the 4 and Race getting some minutes now I don’t see a lot of meat on that bone. Considering it looks like Archie is going with wings at the 4 in the future (or at least stretch 4s) I think he goes small ball more likely than two bigs. But just a guess! I’m happy we have Brunk. Happy we are deep with bigs...been a long time since that has happened!

I think you are right about small ball for the Hoosiers but I don’t see it as often this year . I think we will see it more next year. There are a lot of teams that have the ability to have 2 bigs on the court at the same time if they choose. I hope Deron has a great year and this does limit Brunks minutes but he will have to stay healthy and stay out of foul trouble. Unfortunately he has struggled with both consistently his career at IU. I am guessing Brunk will be called on to play a lot of minutes this year.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think Davis will average around 22 minutes and Brunk 18 minutes.  I see Brunk and TJD being able to play together but not him and DD.

Think this is fair —

But matchups will come up where we could see Brunk and Davis at least in spurts. It’s nice to have the option, for situations. 

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I saw him yesterday and he looked to be down 50 pounds. I'm sure its not that much but the kid looks skinny to past seasons.

It seems to me that it's certainly possible that both things are true: Davis may be in the best shape of his career and Brunk could be ahead of him for the time being. That seems like a best case scenario, in fact...two guys competing at the top of their games, elevating the talent level at the position.

DeRon has excellent natural strength and power.  He also can deftly score inside and just abuse people in the post the way he wiped the smirk off Nick Ward’s face in East Lansing.  If his weight is down and his core is leaner and tighter, he can be a serious weapon.  It’s up to him and how he wants to go out.

27 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

DeRon has excellent natural strength and power.  He also can deftly score inside and just abuse people in the post the way he wiped the smirk off Nick Ward’s face in East Lansing.  If his weight is down and his core is leaner and tighter, he can be a serious weapon.  It’s up to him and how he wants to go out.

Agreed.  I am excited about the trio of Davis, Brunk, and TJD.  I actually feel like we are entering a season not undersized for once.  

1 hour ago, Iuhoopsfan said:

Agreed.  I am excited about the trio of Davis, Brunk, and TJD.  I actually feel like we are entering a season not undersized for once.  

I am sure I am wrong and forgetful due to my age, but I don't remember having this type of front-court depth since 2002? - Odle, Leach, Jeffries, and Newton?

35 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I am sure I am wrong and forgetful due to my age, but I don't remember having this type of front-court depth since 2002? - Odle, Leach, Jeffries, and Newton?

Sounds about right. Although there is no Jefferies,  I like the size and strength of the group we have now.  If you put Davis or Brunk on that 2002 team, they might have been able to keep Lonny Baxter from backing us down at will.

22 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

According to coach SS you need to change your thinking.... 

The real question is how much more fit DD is / how healthy can he stay. He's certainly capable of playing 20-22 minutes per game, on his talent level, it's been about his fitness and durability. He's definitely more fit. Certainly hoping it translates into continued health and durability. 

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

I can't see Brunk playing 30 MPG and I can't see Davis averaging over 20 MPG (which would be a career high). More competition, better options. 

And Trayce Jackson-Davis is IU's "5" for the future. It's not as if he is going to willingly taking a backseat to these guys with his athleticism, work ethic and naturally freakish body type. 

Back to Garcia...

Agree. A lot of people (not just here, other forums) are posting projected lineups with Brunk/Davis next to TJD, then the debate goes to what you do with Smith and if Hunter is healthy. 

I may change on this as the season approaches and we have more info, but I think we're much more likely to see something like

Phinisee

Green

Hunter

Smith

TJD

Then Brunk is the backup to TJD and Davis is sort of a utility guys for when we really need some beef in there or offensive from the block. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. A lot of people (not just here, other forums) are posting projected lineups with Brunk/Davis next to TJD, then the debate goes to what you do with Smith and if Hunter is healthy. 

I may change on this as the season approaches and we have more info, but I think we're much more likely to see something like

Phinisee

Green

Hunter

Smith

TJD

Then Brunk is the backup to TJD and Davis is sort of a utility guys for when we really need some beef in there or offensive from the block. 

Possibly! I still see TJD as our 4

7 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Possibly! I still see TJD as our 4

Could be. It's not really the way the game is going though. I think it probably depends on some personnel. If Hunter is full go and as advertised, and say for example one of Franklin or Anderson are ready to contribute, then I think it's going to be difficult to go big. The lineup I posted above, assuming Hunter is legit, is such an athletic, long, skilled lineup that would be tough defensively and really be able to get out and run. That's the way the game is going. 

If TJD is the "4", then you almost have to have Smith off the bench. You cannot in 2019 start three guys that can't shoot confidently from the perimeter. It would be uglier than last seasons offense. 

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Could be. It's not really the way the game is going though. I think it probably depends on some personnel. If Hunter is full go and as advertised, and say for example one of Franklin or Anderson are ready to contribute, then I think it's going to be difficult to go big. The lineup I posted above, assuming Hunter is legit, is such an athletic, long, skilled lineup that would be tough defensively and really be able to get out and run. That's the way the game is going. 

If TJD is the "4", then you almost have to have Smith off the bench. You cannot in 2019 start three guys that can't shoot confidently from the perimeter. It would be uglier than last seasons offense. 

Its just me, but ive always had smith coming off the bench... but im not the coach :)

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think its pretty short sighted to say you CAN'T start 3 guys that cant shoot confidently from the perimeter.  We did it more or less every game last year.  Granted, last year should be the battle cry for why we SHOULDN'T do it again this or any other year.  But to say you CAN'T....some jackwagon (in no way is that pointed toward anyone on our staff) might think "HAHA!!  Challenge accepted!!" And play 4 centers n a point guard just cuz.

Archived