Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

8 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I think its pretty short sighted to say you CAN'T start 3 guys that cant shoot confidently from the perimeter.  We did it more or less every game last year.  Granted, last year should be the battle cry for why we SHOULDN'T do it again this or any other year.  But to say you CAN'T....some jackwagon (in no way is that pointed toward anyone on our staff) might think "HAHA!!  Challenge accepted!!" And play 4 centers n a point guard just cuz.

I mean, you can if you have too. So yes, it's physically possible to start and play three non-shooting "bigs" together. But, I wouldn't recommend it, and I'm trying to think of the last successful team to do it? Has there ever been one?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're talking about Brunk/Deron and not Garcia....

And sorry if this has been brought up in another thread, but on that LONG Hoosier Hysterics podcast this week Eric said multiple players told him a story about Brunk. The team was scrimmaging and after one of the players (he wouldn't say who) picked up his stuff and started to leave the gym. Apparently Brunk ran after him and told him to get back on the floor because they weren't practicing smart enough or hard enough. He got the whole team back on the floor and they practiced for another hour or so. 

Eric also said that he went to dinner with Elston, Rabby and Brunk. This is a guy hanging out with significantly older men. He was described as a 35 year old in a 21 year old's body, a coaching extension of Archie on the floor and the player who Archie was talking with the most last weekend. (Paraphrasing on all those). 

...and let's not forget he was Cliff's workout warrior.

Now, I'm not sure if the guy is going to start, but from these reports I'm pleasantly shocked that a transfer can come in and have this much sway with the team. It looks like Archie got his culture guy that was desperately missing last year. 

Side note: Ironically I was sitting through a sports presentation yesterday about leadership and grit. They were talking about how the most important thing in developing culture is finding the 'first follower' to create a movement. That first person to embrace a leader. I'm really getting the feeling that Brunk is that guy. 

Video: First Follower: Leadership Lessons From a Dancing Guy

26 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Its just me, but ive always had smith coming off the bench... but im not the coach :)

Agree, it makes it much more possible to go with TJD at the 4, if you have Hunter on all cylinders on the wing along with Green and Phinisee in the backcourt. That changes things. 

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

And sorry if this has been brought up in another thread, but on that LONG Hoosier Hysterics podcast this week Eric said multiple players told him a story about Brunk. The team was scrimmaging and after one of the players (he wouldn't say who) picked up his stuff and started to leave the gym. Apparently Brunk ran after him and told him to get back on the floor because they weren't practicing smart enough or hard enough. He got the whole team back on the floor and they practiced for another hour or so. 

Eric also said that he went to dinner with Elston, Rabby and Brunk. This is a guy hanging out with significantly older men. He was described as a 35 year old in a 21 year old's, a coaching extension or Archie on the floor and the player who Archie was talking with the most last weekend. (Paraphrasing on all those). 

Now, I'm not sure if the guy is going to start, but from these reports I'm pleasantly shocked that a transfer can come in and have this much sway with the team. It looks like Archie got his culture guy that was desperately missing last year. 

Side note: Ironically I was sitting through a sports presentation yesterday about leadership and grit. They were talking about how the most important thing in developing culture is finding the 'first follower' to create a movement. That first person to embrace a leader. I'm really getting the feeling that Brunk is that guy. 

First Follower: Leadership Lessons From a Dancing Guy

Love this! I posted something to a similar point earlier in the thread, in that I'd bet that Brunk may be the hardest worker, in terms putting in the required time at the required levels, since maybe Yogi was at IU. What excited me is that it appears that TJD has really bonded with Brunk this summer. If you can then get Phinisee and say Franklin to fall in line, then to your point IU/Archie goes from having a team to have a program/culture. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, it makes it much more possible to go with TJD at the 4, if you have Hunter on all cylinders on the wing along with Green and Phinisee in the backcourt. That changes things. 

I just hope Archie has a plan for dealing with Justin and his Daddy when he doesn't start.  We don't need any more chemistry issues and I can only imagine the tweets Dad will start sending out when he comes off the bench.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just hope Archie has a plan for dealing with Justin and his Daddy when he doesn't start.  We don't need any more chemistry issues and I can only imagine the tweets Dad will start sending out when he comes off the bench.

I think he'll start, but yes it will be interesting to see how Smith handles it if he comes off the bench. 

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

SInce Justin is still with the program, have to assume Archie got through to both Justin and daddy as to what his expectations were for Justin and what the ramifications for Justin would be, i.e., the bench if Justin's performance didn't measure up.  Barring another injury riddled season, we have the depth to put Justin at the far end of the bench if his play and/or team chemistry issues are an issue.   And it's a well-worn saying, but it's not always as important who starts the game as it is who finishes the game.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I mean, you can if you have too. So yes, it's physically possible to start and play three non-shooting "bigs" together. But, I wouldn't recommend it, and I'm trying to think of the last successful team to do it? Has there ever been one?

There was these guys....but even they ended up blowing a big lead n losing the game.

And by no means did i say it was a good idea, id actually rather play with 5 small guards than a pg and 4 bigs.

d8llqfs-5970db1b-1ca3-4ecc-ac25-70302aea19f1.png

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Eric also said that he went to dinner with Elston, Rabby and Brunk. This is a guy hanging out with significantly older men. He was described as a 35 year old in a 21 year old's body, a coaching extension of Archie on the floor and the player who Archie was talking with the most last weekend. (Paraphrasing on all those). 

Video: First Follower: Leadership Lessons From a Dancing Guy

Thank you for sharing! When I hear stories like this, I get mixed feelings. We're very lucky to have a guy like Brunk in our team, but at the same time, I'm disappointed the person who took the initiative to urge everybody to go extra miles had to be the transfer student who's probably still trying to find his place/fit in the team. No wonder the team lost 12 out of 13 and came out flat in Ohio State game in BTT. The focus was/is not there, and like BGleas said, they thought they were working hard, but they weren't. I hope this is the beginning of something great in the future. Good thing is we will have Brunk for 2 years, and hopefully young players (sophomores, freshmen, and 2020 class) would learn from him. 

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Am I missing something??! I’ve never once seen an issue with Justin last year. I saw no bad attitude. No bad posting on IG etc and in fact I saw a kid that literally led us to a win against Michigan St and had a strong end of the season. He played hard and did well. Sure he had some inconsistencies but when he was involved and clicking he did good. I’ve seen nothing about him being a bad teammate. He really was our best defender last year. So his dad had some unflattering things to say but that shouldn’t reflect on him and if it was an issue Justin wouldn’t come back. I bet he got good feedback from the nba guys and will work hard to improve. I mean we honestly had guys with some poor attitude at times last year and they get a pass...Green for one had some terrible body language on the sidelines and issues yet somehow Justin gets labeled the problem...I just don’t get it. While Justin may not be able to give us everything we envisioned he is a very versatile defender and will see plenty of action based on that alone.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Am I missing something??! I’ve never once seen an issue with Justin last year. I saw no bad attitude. No bad posting on IG etc and in fact I saw a kid that literally led us to a win against Michigan St and had a strong end of the season. He played hard and did well. Sure he had some inconsistencies but when he was involved and clicking he did good. I’ve seen nothing about him being a bad teammate. He really was our best defender last year. So his dad had some unflattering things to say but that shouldn’t reflect on him and if it was an issue Justin wouldn’t come back. I bet he got good feedback from the nba guys and will work hard to improve. I mean we honestly had guys with some poor attitude at times last year and they get a pass...Green for one had some terrible body language on the sidelines and issues yet somehow Justin gets labeled the problem...I just don’t get it. While Justin may not be able to give us everything we envisioned he is a very versatile defender and will see plenty of action based on that alone.

Nobody gave Green a pass last year either. JS and DG were the 2 that most on here pointed to as contributing to the perceived chemistry issues with the team. DG's 3 games suspension and JS's dad's tweets were the 2 main things pointed out as to why many believed those 2 were the main culprits. Some know for sure, the rest is just speculation. I am strictly a speculator.

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Aside from his dad's tweets - I think the perception comes from his body language and his very inconsistent effort. Does that mean he has a bad attitude? I can't say.

I need to give him the benefit of the doubt - no player is created equal. A part of growing for him may be learning that you can't let your effort level drop if you aren't having a good game. I'm 40 and I still let my emotions get the best of me at times. I'm just saying, if you golf (for example), curse after a few bad shots and ultimately let it affect your game, then you shouldn't be pointing fingers. People often forget that practice is needed in order to develop a strong mindset - just like a jump shot, it needs to be worked on. The kid has talent - he's shown it. Lucky for us, he's only a Junior and still has time to prove his grit. 

58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In our offense where do you think Garcia fitting in? Can I find that in the recruiting page or do I need to go to style of play thread where we talk about our current players to find out?

This site wouldn't be special if every thread didn't derail in some way. :coffee:

Archived