Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Andy for the video! Something about the music gives me goose bumps! I guess partly because I played HS BBall at the old Central gym in Evansville. I ran the bleachers so many times, I began to hate those things! The old gym is still standing as our YMCA used it until the Y moved in to a brand new facility last month! The future of the gym is uncertain. The old Central High School was razed many years ago.

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Beautiful buildings. Played in a few. Played in many many smaller gymnasiums and they had just as much charm and character too! Don’t know how many times dove for a ball and ended up on a stage! Some Cracker Jack boxes as we called them. By game time packed to the gills the temp would be well into the 90s and when there was a bad call popcorn would rain down on the court! Wouldn’t give up the memories for anything! Basketball was truly a religion in Indiana. I mean where else can you get 41000 to watch a HS game.

I am surprised they didn't mention my old high school gym, Fort Wayne North Side. The Pistons played there. It was one of the most intimidating gyms you can imagine. Though not as large as some of the biggest (3000 capacity), the fans were right on top of you. There was a wall around the court with about 2 foot between the wall and the court. So when it was crowded, it was LOUD and in your face for a visiting player. The hosted sectionals there until the early nineties. 

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I am surprised they didn't mention my old high school gym, Fort Wayne North Side. The Pistons played there. It was one of the most intimidating gyms you can imagine. Though not as large as some of the biggest (3000 capacity), the fans were right on top of you. There was a wall around the court with about 2 foot between the wall and the court. So when it was crowded, it was LOUD and in your face for a visiting player. The hosted sectionals there until the early nineties. 

Really neat video, Andy. 

Question: Is Fort Wayne in NWI ?   Just kidding.

Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Wondered about North Side myself. Great history, and terrific memories. The old Decatur High School that was in Hoosiers was a neat place to play in Middle school.  South Adams also had a very unique gym. So many in the state of Indiana! 

19 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue had honed in on 3 guys to fill that last spot and Garcia wasn’t one of them. Down to Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, and Carlson

Minnesota prep Ben Carlson commits to Wisconsin for 2020

Carlson’s other five finalists were Xavier, Purdue, Iowa State, Minnesota and Stanford. He also had offers from Iowa, Creighton, Ohio State, Colorado, Northwestern and Wake Forest.

11 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Minnesota prep Ben Carlson commits to Wisconsin for 2020

Carlson’s other five finalists were Xavier, Purdue, Iowa State, Minnesota and Stanford. He also had offers from Iowa, Creighton, Ohio State, Colorado, Northwestern and Wake Forest.

Not surprising he didn’t pick Purdue. Thought he’d go Xavier though. The preference here was always a big which would be Kalkbrenner or Dickinson. 

51 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not surprising he didn’t pick Purdue. Thought he’d go Xavier though. The preference here was always a big which would be Kalkbrenner or Dickinson. 

I'm looking in the end zone but I no longer see the goalposts...what you do with them, Boiler?😜

45 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Where do you think Dickinson goes?

A month or so ago I think he was a heavy Purdue lean.....but that window seemed to have closed.

Michigan or Florida State? I think Notre Dame is hanging in here somehow.

He could still go to Purdue, but they seemed to be passed by recently for some reason. Maybe Purdue has prioritized Kalk?

I know some UI people that are convinced Kalk is going to Purdue.

40 minutes ago, JugRox said:

A month or so ago I think he was a heavy Purdue lean.....but that window seemed to have closed.

Michigan or Florida State? I think Notre Dame is hanging in here somehow.

He could still go to Purdue, but they seemed to be passed by recently for some reason. Maybe Purdue has prioritized Kalk?

I know some UI people that are convinced Kalk is going to Purdue.

I feel pretty good that we’ll land one of Dickinson or Kalk which would finish off a solid class for us. Either/or would be great IMO. 

Kalk just got a Kansas offer but appears like he’s not going to visit there/consider them this late in the process. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, milehiiu said:

I never get tired seeing this list. The neatest thing is that it covers the entire state. 

I had the privilege to play and officiate in a few of those gyms. New Castle, Muncie, Anderson and Elkhart. Nothing  like running out on New Castle's floor in front of a capacity crowd. Great memories of a great time. 

54 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I had the privilege to play and officiate in a few of those gyms. New Castle, Muncie, Anderson and Elkhart. Nothing  like running out on New Castle's floor in front of a capacity crowd. Great memories of a great time. 

I have watched hundreds of games at the New Castle fieldhouse since my school was in their sectional for years.

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

New Castle your favorite? What would be your top 5?

Muncie Fieldhouse would be my favorite because we defeated Muncie Central in the 72 sectional final to become the first county school to win the Muncie Sectional

New Castle would be my second favorite because we defeated New Castle in the 72 regional tournament in front of packed fieldhouse. I loved officiating at New Castle and getting to meet Coach Alford who was a true gentleman and treated us with the utmost respect.

Anderson was my third favorite just because of the size and quality of basketball. 

My fourth and fifth favorites are in Michigan. Benton Harbor high school was a great place to officiate because the fans were so knowledgeable about basketball and they packed their fieldhouse for every game. Great basketball and great tradition. I got to see Wilson Chandler do things on the court that were NBA level in high school

My 5th favorite place to work in would Rockford High School in Rockford, Michigan. An unbelievable facility with great fans and great basketball.  

Archived