Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KDB said:

There it is.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up but that train is sailed. I think Archie and our staff have shown exactly the path for Garcia. Where he fits. He'll know people. Can come to the most Southern Big 10 school in the conference and avoid Minny winters. I'm feeling pretty good as in 50/50 good. 

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am sure many of you know. However, if you don't know.  Anthony Leal considers Garcia a good friend.  And has been putting a full court press on Dawson to consider IU.

Got to think Leal will be around campus and hanging with Garcia those days. Can't do anything but help. 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

FWIW I heard from a connected AAU guy that still thinks Garcia is still a Spring commit. I am hearing many more people that feel as early as mid November. 

It would make sense for him to wait. He was ill and missed most his summer ball. I get the feeling he would like to get UK and Duke involved and that would change things for us. That said both of them see to be moving forward with other guys. Seeing that we seem to be striking out on point guards I think we hold our final scholarship for him.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It would make sense for him to wait. He was ill and missed most his summer ball. I get the feeling he would like to get UK and Duke involved and that would change things for us. That said both of them see to be moving forward with other guys. Seeing that we seem to be striking out on point guards I think we hold our final scholarship for him.

I doubt Duke will get involved since they already have 4 5 star commitments

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Its IU and Marquette unless something drastic happens and in recruiting we know that can happen easily. 

Yes but UK hasn't locked in it's big men yet. They struck out last year and that is why they were trying to get a grad transfer. This year they have some targets but the big men haven't committed like the guards and forwards...so if they strike out they may open up his recruitment. They were following him pretty closely until he got sick and missed the big summer tournaments.

37 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Garcia scheduled for a fall decision per Corey Evans of Rivals.

9272881C-9953-46F2-A0A7-80DA30B5A15D.jpeg

Other than the in state/out of state aspect, I'd put his recruitment in a similar category as C Zeller, as far as what Garcia could potentially bring to the team and program.

Scouting report sounds similar to Cody. From 247 Sports:

Length allows him to block shots, and he is a capable rebounder. As he gets stronger, all parts of his game should begin to come together. He isn’t an elite athlete, but he does have solid explosion off the court. He is very skilled. Can make shots out to the three-point line, is very good going off the dribble, and also can pass. His upside is significant, and he does have a little bit more potential than production. Keeps improving and has an excellent chance to stick in the NBA for a long time.

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Other than the in state/out of state aspect, I'd put his recruitment in a similar category as C Zeller, as far as what Garcia could potentially bring to the team and program.

Scouting report sounds similar to Cody. From 247 Sports:

Length allows him to block shots, and he is a capable rebounder. As he gets stronger, all parts of his game should begin to come together. He isn’t an elite athlete, but he does have solid explosion off the court. He is very skilled. Can make shots out to the three-point line, is very good going off the dribble, and also can pass. His upside is significant, and he does have a little bit more potential than production. Keeps improving and has an excellent chance to stick in the NBA for a long time.

This checks out and with an added bonus of the 3 ball

If 2021 goes as well as we feel is on the cusp of happening, if you come out of 2020 with Garcia, Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway, we have an ideal situation.  I think this is the best way possible going forward.  You'd be building a lasting program, not a high beta team with heavy year to year volatility as we had previously.

If you give me a roster of tough 4 star juniors and seniors and put us against a bunch of five star freshmen and sophomores, I would like my chances more often that not.  And, it can be lasting that way year over year.  This was a mistake from the past regimes that we are rectifying this way.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If 2021 goes as well as we feel is on the cusp of happening, if you come out of 2020 with Garcia, Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway, we have an ideal situation.  I think this is the best way possible going forward.  You'd be building a lasting program, not a high beta team with heavy year to year volatility as we had previously.

If you give me a roster of tough 4 star juniors and seniors and put us against a bunch of five star freshmen and sophomores, I would like my chances more often that not.  And, it can be lasting that way year over year.  This was a mistake from the past regimes that we are rectifying this way.

It’s been noted before, but it just seems apparent that Archie is executing a strategy with a clear vision of what he wants the team to be. With Crean and Davis it seemed reactionary too often

I ain’t going to lie. Garcia would make this a B1G champion quality team. I mean we would return Rob and Armaan in the backcourt with possibly Hunter, Garcia and Trayce to start beside them. Add Brunk, Smith, and Race to that front court...wow. Then of course Damezi, Jordan, Al, Trey, and Anthony and that’s a versatile talented team.

Archived