Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren’t we high on Trey Kaufman and Furst who both play the same position that Garcia plays? Sure this recruit can take us to another level but it isn’t like the cupboards are bare! And Geronimo is absolutely NOT a project! I will bet anyone he sees playing time before Leal and Galloway because his defense and body is college ready right away. Sure his offense will take time to take off but the kid doesn’t have to be a scorer. Hustle guy that can defend 3 spots that definitely knows how to run the floor and finish a break...you can use that right away. Geronimo is not a project...he actually is our highest rated recruit so far in 2020.

51 minutes ago, JugRox said:

He is a top 80 ranked recruit.

i don’t think that’s a “project”.

Is he a project for a mid-major? No.

Is he a project for a championship level team? Yes. 

Being a project isn't a bad thing, it's just not a known quantity.  Vic was a project, but he wasn't a known quantity when he came in. 

I really hope we land this kid.  To get a commit of this level from outside of the state would be a very big statement for the university.  My thoughts:

1.)  If we miss on Garcia, it will not be due to a lack of recruiting.  Archie has proven that he can recruit players(Race and Hunter are from outside of the state, yes that is only 2 recruits from outside of the state but they both are quality players when healthy). 

2.) We need to win plain and simple.  You can only go so far in recruiting without winning games and not being relevant in March. 

I don't know if we land Garcia or not if we do great it opens the door sooner for high profile guys outside of the state BUT if we don't, we make the tournament and start winning consistently situations like this will be easier to seal the deal as early as next season.

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

When you get some  time, please try....

I know you are relatively new around here and I don't hold that against you at all, honestly and sincerely.  We(the board) has been over this.  There were many misses after trying to pick up the pieces after the Brooks decision fallout.  That's why I said, it's only October, unlike last year(after Brooks decision) after March 15th to be exact.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2019-Basketball/Offers/

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Im my mind we have only missed on one player, and is Brooks.  Everyone else is just recruiting... we cant and wont get everyone.

Archie and staff have done an excellent job of building his team.

I have to agree. There seems to be a plan in place, which didn't seem like the case with Crean. The Brooks situation seemed like a "business decision" spearheaded by his dad. 

47 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know you are relatively new around here and I don't hold that against you at all, honestly and sincerely.  We(the board) has been over this.  There were many misses after trying to pick up the pieces after the Brooks decision fallout.  That's why I said, it's only October, unlike last year(after Brooks decision) after March 15th to be exact.  

I would not count every kid we offer who goes elsewhere as a big miss.  Like others have said that b/rooks was the only real big miss that we have had.

10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I have to agree. There seems to be a plan in place, which didn't seem like the case with Crean. The Brooks situation seemed like a "business decision" spearheaded by his dad. 

Not to derail further, but due to UK’s thin front court, there’s a lot of talk that KB may play the 4 spot in a small ball lineup at 6’7, 205

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would not count every kid we offer who goes elsewhere as a big miss.  Like others have said that b/rooks was the only real big miss that we have had.

This conversation has spun off of one quote from Bluegrass, "We need to land him or I consider this recruiting cycle a miss."  I agree with you because we had all our eggs in one basket, no back up plan, little time to recover.  As of today, it's October.  Lots of things can happen in the next 9 months that can still effect the 2020 class.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This conversation has spun off of one quote from Bluegrass, "We need to land him or I consider this recruiting cycle a miss."  I agree with you because we had all our eggs in one basket, no back up plan, little time to recover.  As of today, it's October.  Lots of things can happen in the next 9 months that can still effect the 2020 class.  

Do I hope we get Garcia, yes but if we don't I won't call this class a total failure either.  We will still have TJD Brunk and Race for the 4-5 spot and if we can  land a big or two in 2021 then it won't be a huge loss.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Aren’t we high on Trey Kaufman and Furst who both play the same position that Garcia plays? Sure this recruit can take us to another level but it isn’t like the cupboards are bare! And Geronimo is absolutely NOT a project! I will bet anyone he sees playing time before Leal and Galloway because his defense and body is college ready right away. Sure his offense will take time to take off but the kid doesn’t have to be a scorer. Hustle guy that can defend 3 spots that definitely knows how to run the floor and finish a break...you can use that right away. Geronimo is not a project...he actually is our highest rated recruit so far in 2020.

We are high on those guys too, but I think you need almost 1-2 of these guys in every class. That's how you build sustained, consistent success. You need consistent, maturing talent and you need 'bridges' between each group. In a perfect world, you don't want TJD leaving after two years and then someone like Kaufman coming in without a 2020 big to support him, etc. 

You want TJD playing at least a year with Garcia, and then Garcia playing at least a year with Kaufman/Furst. That way you're not left relying on freshmen all the time and your stockpiling depth so that if someone unexpectedly leaves early the team isn't devoid of talent at a position.

To me that's the difference between program building and roster building. Program building is for long-term, sustained success and roster building is trying to add guys on the fly year-to-year to hope you field a good team. 

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We are high on those guys too, but I think you need almost 1-2 of these guys in every class. That's how you build sustained, consistent success. You need consistent, maturing talent and you need 'bridges' between each group. In a perfect world, you don't want TJD leaving after two years and then someone like Kaufman coming in without a 2020 big to support him, etc. 

You want TJD playing at least a year with Garcia, and then Garcia playing at least a year with Kaufman/Furst. That way you're not left relying on freshmen all the time and your stockpiling depth so that if someone unexpectedly leaves early the team isn't devoid of talent at a position.

To me that's the difference between program building and roster building. Program building is for long-term, sustained success and roster building is trying to add guys on the fly year-to-year to hope you field a good team. 

This is one of the best posts I have seen in awhile.  I am not surprised, considering the source.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do I hope we get Garcia, yes but if we don't I won't call this class a total failure either.  We will still have TJD Brunk and Race for the 4-5 spot and if we can  land a big or two in 2021 then it won't be a huge loss.

I haven't used the words BIG loss, TOTAL failure,  or HUGE loss so I'm not sure why they are being brought into this.  Like i said, calling 2020 a loss in any form is extremely premature.  

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Out of the entire list....IU had a real shot with maybe half. And that’s be generous. We didn’t “miss” on players we had no chance to begin with.

Terry? Francis? Hurt? Nnaji ?  Wiseman? Stewart? Cockburn? Seriously? Did any of them visit? No chance with any of them.

And did we really miss on Newman?

Yes, we missed on Brooks. And Lester would have helped but we were way late in that game.

And Carton was the second biggest miss behind Brooks

We made a run at Mann....and missed.

Ramsey was also a miss. And we tried with Harris.

i would classify Bouknight a miss too.

We never had a chance with Watford. He stated he wanted to do his own thing and  not follow brother from the start. That’s why we didn’t recruit him in the fall.

Mitchell? Shedrick? I bet we recruited them for a week or 2 tops.

I think Snow had a UMass crystal ball for Mitchell a week before we offered.

But to say we missed “12” after Brooks is simply wrong. Out of the entire list, who was after Brooks? Lester, Hurt, Wat, and ????

we didn’t even really try to grab a grad transfer.

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not to derail further, but due to UK’s thin front court, there’s a lot of talk that KB may play the 4 spot in a small ball lineup at 6’7, 205

It will be very interesting to see how Brooks does at UK. I personally don’t think he will perform at the level of a one and done. And I think he has already been recruited over for next year.

its a “now or never” for him at UK IMO.

9 minutes ago, JugRox said:

It will be very interesting to see how Brooks does at UK. I personally don’t think he will perform at the level of a one and done. And I think he has already been recruited over for next year.

Former fUK player Tyler Herro had this to say the other day, what a lovely endorsement...

“Definitely coming from Kentucky, I know that they love you when you’re playing good, but when you’re playing bad, they hate you,” the 19-year-old said.

9 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Yes, the UK reporters are touting his versatility and being a Swiss Army Knife, which may be another way of saying he doesn't really have a position. From the LCJ:

The battle for minutes on the wing figures to be intense with Whitney, Juzang and sophomore guard Immanuel Quickley also deserving a role alongside projected starting guards Maxey and sophomore Ashton Hagans. Brooks’ versatility could make him a valuable weapon in a variety of situations, but his lack of a singular standout skill will make it difficult to pull ahead of Juzang when a shooter is needed or Whitney when Calipari opts for an athletic defender.

But I've already spent too much time on him. Let's seal the deal with Mr. Garcia.

Archived