Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, CoachSS said:

I can confidently say this was NEVER going to happen and was NEVER on the cards. 

There's nothing wrong with this. 

Why are they dashed? 

Why are you not optimistic? 

Because we became a football school over the weekend. 😩

There just aren't any schools that are Bluebloods in both Football and Basketball. Oh well, after the Bowl game we can look forward to the Spring Scrimmage.

17 hours ago, DWB said:

I just can't see the attraction of Marquette.

I can see the attraction of MN, but Marquette should be a distant 5th IMO. Not because of coaching, just overall college experience. Wojo's not a bad coach, but the recent transfers are a significant signal, along with a former alum, now in the NBA who evidently isn't their best recruiter either...

I'm not aware of any stellar academic program(s) that MU has. They're probably not bad, but certainly not the Kelly School of Business, or Michigan's engineering dept, etc, etc.

To each his own I guess. (but this REALLY sucks)

Next !?!

Marquette is the only Catholic school on the list. It is a very good academic school as well. It also has a rich basketball heritage too...although not the same as Indiana's. Marquette has been on him one of the longest. It is regional for them. Lot's of boxes that could tick for some people.

18 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

Mrs Leal is on this forum and is a very nice person. I am sure she treated the Garcias like long lost family members. How wonderful they could all do that together. What a great core group for the players.

I would say....along with how great Archie and Ostrom have been....this kind of stuff is like an ace up our sleeve!

I think in the end...family won't make the decision for Dawson. He will make that on how comfortable he feels with the program, vision for him by the coach, and relationships with the players.....I think IU will be that for him.

Just now, dgambill said:

Marquette is the only Catholic school on the list. It is a very good academic school as well. It also has a rich basketball heritage too...although not the same as Indiana's. Marquette has been on him one of the longest. It is regional for them. Lot's of boxes that could tick for some people.

I would say....along with how great Archie and Ostrom have been....this kind of stuff is like an ace up our sleeve!

I think in the end...family won't make the decision for Dawson. He will make that on how comfortable he feels with the program, vision for him by the coach, and relationships with the players.....I think IU will be that for him.

....I think in the end...family won't make the decision for Dawson. He will make that on how comfortable he feels with the program, vision for him by the coach, and relationships with the players.....I think IU will be that for him.

That is what we want ALL players to think! However, the Keion Brooks/UK thing was dominated and heavily influenced by his Pops. All they could see was potential $$$$

19 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....I think in the end...family won't make the decision for Dawson. He will make that on how comfortable he feels with the program, vision for him by the coach, and relationships with the players.....I think IU will be that for him.

That is what we want ALL players to think! However, the Keion Brooks/UK thing was dominated and heavily influenced by his Pops. All they could see was potential $$$$

Well. I think parents have a big sway on their kids. I think the happiest ones (kids) are the ones that come out later and say my parents let me take the lead and make my own decision. That said "good" parents will always want to be engaged in the process. They will look out for their kids...possible stumbling blocks and raise concerns and want to keep their kid safe from a "bad decision". In the end "most" will let the kid make the final decision....they just don't want them deciding from a school that is out to exploit their kid, isn't safe environment. Place where coach may not seem to be in control or looking out for their kids. I heard the parents were asking "tons" of questions. That is good. They wanted to be more informed about IU, the academics, where kids live, who will they be around, guidance councelors, tudoring staff etc. They are doing the right thing. Once their concerns are taken care of (which I don't know why they wouldn't have been) they will leave the choice of their good schools up to their child. I think the visit answered a lot for Dawson but I bet the #1 thing was it put their parents at ease. That would allow Dawson to choose IU freely without his parents apprehension. The only thing that could trump it would be how close the parents want to be to their kid. That varies a bunch with kid to kid. Considering how engaged these parents were...I bet even if Dawson said "I want to go there!!" on the way home they said...you are going to make the visit to Marquette. We want to be as informed in this decision as possible. The other huge thing about taking your visits is what if there is a coaching change (God forbid) or kid doesn't end up happy, or life change. The kid wants to transfer. Taking these visits will help as a back up plan to already know where you feel comfortable down the road. I know there are some of "THOSE" parents out there...but everything I heard from the visit is these don't seem to be those type of parents. I didn't hear they were asking about the x's and o's and playing time and nba...they were asking about his quality of life there at IU and education.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Dawson is tight with Leal and Galloway. Anyone similar at Marquette?  If the race is otherwise close, I see that as a tipping point.

On the flip side, I think Marquette is offering him Markus Howard level usage. Whether or not that actually materializes once he arrives on campus, it's something we aren't offering.

25 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On the flip side, I think Marquette is offering him Markus Howard level usage. Whether or not that actually materializes once he arrives on campus, it's something we aren't offering.

Also note that that Wojo is already on the "hot seat".

He maybe gone next spring even with the extension. 

https://painttouches.com/2019/05/07/why-did-marquette-extend-steve-wojciechowski/

And Marquette already has 2 4 star forwards committed for next year....

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

59 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I got from that link was an article further down about Lebron losing his hair in the middle of the game. Comical!

Bossi provided zilch as far as info.

It’s not just him.  It appears no one else knows the details either.  This has shades of the Zeller recruitment.  He and his family playing it very close to the vest.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:41 PM, dwtaylor1055 said:

5.5 hours is a lot closer to Garcia than what IU is so "could" view and consider it as staying home.

If 5.5 hours and crossing state lines can be considered home, then, I am identifying as a resident of Tennessee and as such am no longer subject to State Income Tax.  :coffee:

46 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I mean if you currently reside in Kentucky that may not be a bad idea :panic:

That's the thing....in 5.5 hrs you can travel through a couple states. You could easily get to Nashville from Bloomington in that amount of time and have time to stop have a nice lunch. Is it close enough to make all your kids games...not unless you work from home or retired but certainly it is a much easier drive. I don't think this recruitment will end up being about how close to home the Garcia's are.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's the thing....in 5.5 hrs you can travel through a couple states. You could easily get to Nashville from Bloomington in that amount of time and have time to stop have a nice lunch. Is it close enough to make all your kids games...not unless you work from home or retired but certainly it is a much easier drive. I don't think this recruitment will end up being about how close to home the Garcia's are.

the Watford's drove to most home games from Birmingham so if there is a will there is a way.

Archived