Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is funny how a mood of a recruitment on a message board can change within one week.  At this time last week this board was busy with the Garcia visit and people excited that he could commit in the next few days.  Also people were thinking that if Garcia commits then that would probably lead us getting Lander the following year.  Now that Garcia is going on another visit to Marquette that has tempered the excitement and today a poster cam eon here saying that IU is 3rd right now for Lander.

I guess the thing we should all learn is that recruiting is fluid and can change at anytime so it is probably good to have caution before letting your excitement get to high.  Not saying anything has really changed in either recruitment but just stating that the mood can change drastically in a few days.  The last few days this board has went into hibernation since there really is not much new going on even though the early signing period is just a few weeks away.

It's fun to speculate, but it's also never wise to get excited until a recruit is signed.

That being said, I still feel pretty positive about Garcia...sounds like he had a great visit at IU and several friends he'd be on the team with.  Maybe Marquette saves it with a last visit, but they are surely behind at the moment.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's fun to speculate, but it's also never wise to get excited until a recruit is signed.

That being said, I still feel pretty positive about Garcia...sounds like he had a great visit at IU and several friends he'd be on the team with.  Maybe Marquette saves it with a last visit, but they are surely behind at the moment.

What is you r thought on him going on another visit to Marquette. One could be is that he was leaning towards Marquette and after the visit here he is going back to reaffirm his thoughts on them.  The other could be that he is going back to Marquette to give them one more chance because he was blown away by his visit to IU.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What is you r thought on him going on another visit to Marquette. One could be is that he was leaning towards Marquette and after the visit here he is going back to reaffirm his thoughts on them.  The other could be that he is going back to Marquette to give them one more chance because he was blown away by his visit to IU.

I'm guessing the latter.  That being said, you can never be sure that they won't come from behind and pull out the win.  I think it's been Marquette and IU for awhile to be honest.  Minnesota has shown little ability to coach and develop and Memphis has offered everybody but proven very little.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm guessing the latter.  That being said, you can never be sure that they won't come from behind and pull out the win.  I think it's been Marquette and IU for awhile to be honest.  Minnesota has shown little ability to coach and develop and Memphis has offered everybody but proven very little.

I don't know anything how official visits works or what goes on but what could he see next weekend that he did not see on his last visit there.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know anything how official visits works or what goes on but what could he see next weekend that he did not see on his last visit there.

That's kind of why it smells like desperation to me...here's what I think...

1. Dawson had a great visit, putting IU well out in front.  He also has a couple of good friends he'd be playing with at IU.
  2. It was said that he would likely announce this week.
  3. Marquette got wind of this and pitched one last visit since they'd been on him a long time.
  4. Garcia, being a good kid and feeling pressured and a little torn, agreed to postpone the decision and make another visit, just to be sure he was making the right call with IU.

Marquette could pull this off, but I believe they are behind and I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that he still calls off the visit and commits to IU.  If I were betting today, I'd say he takes the visit and still pops for IU, but you have to feel like he's no longer the lock that he was right after the IU visit.

Not an insider on this recruitment, but I've heard a few things...

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's kind of why it smells like desperation to me...here's what I think...

1. Dawson had a great visit, putting IU well out in front.  He also has a couple of good friends he'd be playing with at IU.
  2. It was said that he would likely announce this week.
  3. Marquette got wind of this and pitched one last visit since they'd been on him a long time.
  4. Garcia, being a good kid and feeling pressured and a little torn, agreed to postpone the decision and make another visit, just to be sure he was making the right call with IU.

Marquette could pull this off, but I believe they are behind and I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that he still calls off the visit and commits to IU.  If I were betting today, I'd say he takes the visit and still pops for IU, but you have to feel like he's no longer the lock that he was right after the IU visit.

Not an insider on this recruitment, but I've heard a few things...

Thank you

Not sure what the news is because i'm not a subscriber but Rabby's "inside the locker room" teaser is that there's "positive noise regarding Dawson Garcia".

Sucks that he's going on this Marquette visit because I get DJ Carton/ketchup kid PTSD thinking about how influential the last say can be on these kids but don't forget that Romeo canceled that final visit that the coaches requested and still ended up here. 

As other have mentioned, recruiting is fluid and unpredictable. 

@dgambill reiterated something that I said a few pages ago. Marquette is a Jesuit school. We don’t know how much affect that might have on him and his family. Milwaukee is closer. And if the faith based issue is an issue, that is not something to be dismissed.

We have all the advantages from a basketball standpoint. There may or may not be other issues that factor into Dawson’s decision 

Archived