Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

43 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just a few things to add here: 

- There's a player who is part of IU's 2020 class that is of the belief that Garcia is coming to Indiana. It's a high school kid so take anything they do, anything they think and anything they are planning with a huge grain of salt. But, I do know that. 
- Someone who follows this recruitment texted me a line yesterday that I have heard repeatedly with this IU coaching staff: "They will not be out-worked." 
- A rumor about Archie not being at his media availability tomorrow is that he's taking a private charter up to Minnesota to see Garcia before he begins his Marquette visit. For those who know, once a recruit is on an OFFICIAL visit on another campus, contact cannot be made or had. It's a violation. Given that the NCAA Dead Period begins at Midnight Monday morning it's a shrewd move... IF true. Again, stressing the rumor part. And a recruits visit doesn't begin until he is ON campus. The rumor (again, rumor) is that Archie was going to fly up and see him before he boarded his plane. 
- Coach Ostrom flew up last night to have dinner with the family. That's a fact, not a rumor. 
- The signing period is November 13-20. So, it's about to be a wild few days. 

Go Hoosiers. 

As always, many thanks for the intel.

If i'm understanding this correctly, you're saying that from the start of his official visit to his commitment date that no coach can contact him?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just a few things to add here: 

- There's a player who is part of IU's 2020 class that is of the belief that Garcia is coming to Indiana. It's a high school kid so take anything they do, anything they think and anything they are planning with a huge grain of salt. But, I do know that. 
- Someone who follows this recruitment texted me a line yesterday that I have heard repeatedly with this IU coaching staff: "They will not be out-worked." 
- A rumor about Archie not being at his media availability tomorrow is that he's taking a private charter up to Minnesota to see Garcia before he begins his Marquette visit. For those who know, once a recruit is on an OFFICIAL visit on another campus, contact cannot be made or had. It's a violation. Given that the NCAA Dead Period begins at Midnight Monday morning it's a shrewd move... IF true. Again, stressing the rumor part. And a recruits visit doesn't begin until he is ON campus. The rumor (again, rumor) is that Archie was going to fly up and see him before he boarded his plane. 
- Coach Ostrom flew up last night to have dinner with the family. That's a fact, not a rumor. 
- The signing period is November 13-20. So, it's about to be a wild few days. 

Go Hoosiers. 

So, what is your prediction? (Sorry, I had to)

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Couple of posters on Marquette site joking about Ostrom taking Garcia to Chili's for dinner during the visit this week.

Bet they didn't see this on Dawson's Twitter feed. Whether it was Ostrom's idea or Garcia's, it was well played.

Prior Lake Hoops @PriorLakeHoops1 Nov 4

🌶Support PLHS BBB all November when you dine-in or to-go at Chili’s (Shakopee and Burnsville locations)! 🏀Just show your them this flyer...thank you

Good find! I saw that on another board and thought Chili’s was an interesting choice, too. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I feel great about Archie as a recruiter. He is tireless and a hard worker and has a good history here and before at Arizona too. If Garcia doesn’t feel the love and goes elsewhere...it just wasn’t meant to be. I feel good about his recruitment. He would fit beautifully in our system and make an impact right away...just like Trayce is. I know Garcia has a good relationship with the Marquette staff but surely he feels the love we are showing him on multiple levels. Kid is getting 5* treatment from the staff and fans here.

I also think the players and parents love his business approach to his job but with the kids behind the scenes I bet he has a quite sense of humor that only the players get to see that makes the kids go to battle for him! You saw his personality at the fantasy camp when he was interviewed. 

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

No, from the second he is on the Marquette campus until he leaves the Marquette campus he cannot be contacted by a member of any, other coaching staff. Whether HC or assistants. 

He'll also be home, mid-day on Sunday, and IU could (theoretically) fly up to see him then. They could talk until Midnight of Sunday night.... hypothetically. 

So how much time would Archie have with him before he boards the plane..is he meeting him to talk at the airport?

8 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Does Ostrom ever have interest in being a head coach or can we pay him the same as a lower head coach to make sure to keep him? I have a really good friend who is an assistant for a D1 school and says he never wants to be a head coach as he is just is happy being an assistant and wasn’t sure if anyone knew how Ostrom felt. Ostrom seems to be a huge part of our success and if we ever lose him I feel it would set us back!

ostrom interviewed for the Dayton job and didnt get it. So yes he wants to be the man. Once we start winning he is gone.

16 hours ago, IUskim said:

True and to piggyback off of your bud foster there’s also Brent Venables in that same boat. Although I think they keep upping his pay he might even make more than tom Allen right now. 

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Base salary to base salary, he does.  $2M to $1.8M. 

Someone send that to Glass.

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I suspect that Mr. Allen will see a nice raise & extension after the season.

This is what football schools do. Turn a BBall Recruiting thread into football discussion! :coffee:

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess my only question is that Dawson has already visited Marquette once, what is he trying to find out in this visit that he already doesn't know.  If most think he is going to IU I was wondering why he is taking this visit in the first place.

From what I can tell, it was already scheduled so he is honoring it. It also allows him to visit in-season instead of the summer. My guess is he's giving the Marquette staff one last chance to make their pitch then he can validate his choice wherever it may be. In his interview the other day, he said he's struggling with the idea of telling the coaches "no" from the schools where he doesn't go.

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wouldn't be out of the question.  Different sport, but look at Bud Foster at Virginia Tech.  Will have spent his whole career as one of, if not the best, D-coordinators in the country.  Had many, many phone calls over the years, but he was happy where he was and good at what he did.

It's pretty well-known, albeit not publicly, that Bud Foster is a bit of an alcoholic which would prevent him from being able to carry out head-coaching duties.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess my only question is that Dawson has already visited Marquette once, what is he trying to find out in this visit that he already doesn't know.  If most think he is going to IU I was wondering why he is taking this visit in the first place.

His Marquette OV  was in February and it was his first, so that was 9 months ago. He attended the Villanova game, etc. He's had other OV's since then, so he's clearly more informed about his options now. In his video, he said he expects this visit to be more "intense", since he is now so close to a decision. If IU and Marquette are his true finalists, it makes sense to make a second visit now, rather than rely on his experience in February to evaluate Marquette.

FWIW, this is from a Marquette writer on 10/29:

For me, the most interesting part about this whole setup is that it appears that Garcia’s decision to visit Marquette was made after visiting Indiana. This appears to be a new development in his process, otherwise we would have known about the visit for a while now. Instead, Rabjohns broke the news on Monday, which implies new information.

The most blue-and-gold colored glasses view of Garcia’s decision to visit Marquette is that he’s not sold on his other options and wants to see Milwaukee. The slightly less positive view is that he feels he owes it to the Golden Eagles to get one last chance to bowl him over before he makes a decision.

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2019/10/29/20938290/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-dawson-garcia-official-visit

13 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

It's pretty well-known, albeit not publicly, that Bud Foster is a bit of an alcoholic which would prevent him from being able to carry out head-coaching duties.

A) Wasn't aware of that.

B) If it's true, at least he was self-aware enough that he knew he wouldn't fit in that next higher role.  That lack of self awareness has cost more than one coach. 

I'm not concerned about distance from Prior Lake to IU being a huge, deciding factor.  If playing close to home in a big time conference was the most important thing to him, he'd go to Minnesota.  Marquette offers close-ish to home, but they're in a non-Power conference.

All indications are that he would have considered Kansas if the NCAA cloud wasn't hovering over that program.  He also visited Memphis, which all proves he's open to going a little farther from home.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Only IFR flight I see from KBMG going anywhere near is a N700PB BE20 going to Madison, Wisconsin (KMSN) at 10 (1500Z)

In other words, on Dawson's way from Prior Lake to Milwaukee...  Madison is on the route.  Quick bite to eat.  Sort through some proofs and social media announcement stuff with our staff for the announcement.  Get some quick paperwork out of the way.  Glad-hand mom and dad.  Bingo bango bongo, Dawson's a Hoosier.  Wojo in shambles.  

Archived