Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I wondered the same thing until another poster reminded us that the Marquette coach is a Duke grad.

The thing is the Garcia family has been super silent on letting info out. So that means his intel if he got any would have come from the Wojo or the coaching staff. We have people here saying that the IU staff is very hopeful too. The point is the info that doesn't come from the coaching staffs themselves is probably more accurate and in this recruitment there hasn't been much to go on. That's why I would say the national guys haven't made a predication and some of them might not make one at all. If a flood of picks come in the 2 or 3 days before then that could be very telling that the family leaked something. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not good.  I highly doubt he'd be putting in a pick a week before the announcement unless he knew something.

He did the exact same thing for a kid that committed to UNC a week later. He changed his pick at the last minute 

Seems like his Marquette inside info might be a little optimistic from time to time.

23 minutes ago, JugRox said:

He did the exact same thing for a kid that committed to UNC a week later. He changed his pick at the last minute 

Seems like his Marquette inside info might be a little optimistic from time to time.

He may be just guessing.  We'll find out next week.  I just don't think Archie can close on a top 50 out of state recruit yet.  He's such an introvert and his first couple years here have pretty much been a disaster.  If he ever makes a couple deep tourney runs I expect his recruiting to take off like a rocket but not until then.  For now I think we live and die with Indiana recruits.

Not good.  I highly doubt he'd be putting in a pick a week before the announcement unless he knew something.

Plus, without context, regardless of his track record, it’s really tough to discern how reliable his information is. Plus, as we all know, some recruitments are WAY looser than Garcia’s has been. As others have stated, it does harken back to Zeller’s.

Until I see some of the well known national guys started making their predictions I will not worry about this recruitment.  I still think in the end with what Dawson has said about IU and the fan base it would be hard for me to see him picking anyone else.  To me if it was about being close to home why not pick Minnesota instead of Marquette.  Like I have said many times I don't see how a kid would pick Marquette over IU because we have the basketball tradition and facilities over Marquette as well as a far better campus.

50 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He may be just guessing.  We'll find out next week.  I just don't think Archie can close on a top 50 out of state recruit yet.  He's such an introvert and his first couple years here have pretty much been a disaster.  If he ever makes a couple deep tourney runs I expect his recruiting to take off like a rocket but not until then.  For now I think we live and die with Indiana recruits.

Then there's this:

Steve Wojciechowski, Marquette

It was just two months ago that Marquette appeared poised for a Big East regular season title. Instead, they collapsed down the stretch and got blown out in the NCAA tournament by a 12-seed. Then, a consensus top-10 team for 2019-20 lost Sam and Joey Hauser to the transfer market. It’s all not a great look for Woj, who also has struggled recently in recruiting. Now next season may be a make or break year for Woj’s future at Marquette.

Most likely scenario to leave: The Golden Eagles can’t compete without the Hausers, the recruiting woes continue, and Woj is relieved of his duties.

https://www.vuhoops.com/big-east-news/2019/4/24/18512974/2019-big-east-coach-stability-rankings-villanova-basketball-jay-wright

50 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

"Deep tourney runs" have little to nothing to do with a top 50 out of state recruit deciding where to go.

Where are all the out of state top 50 recruits for Purdue? With their deep tourney runs the last 3 years, that roster should be filled with top 50 out of state recruits, right?

And how did Memphis land its recent recruits without deep tourney runs?

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Then there's this:

It was just two months ago that Marquette appeared poised for a Big East regular season title. Instead, they collapsed down the stretch and got blown out in the NCAA tournament by a 12-seed. Then, a consensus top-10 team for 2019-20 lost Sam and Joey Hauser to the transfer market. It’s all not a great look for Woj, who also has struggled recently in recruiting. Now next season may be a make or break year for Woj’s future at Marquette.

Most likely scenario to leave: The Golden Eagles can’t compete without the Hausers, the recruiting woes continue, and Woj is relieved of his duties.

https://www.vuhoops.com/big-east-news/2019/4/24/18512974/2019-big-east-coach-stability-rankings-villanova-basketball-jay-wright

Wojo got an extension last spring for recruiting purposes only.

If Marquette has a disappointing season, Wojo is gone.  

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

If we had no Indiana kids you would be complaining about that. Live and Die with Indiana recruits? Well those Indiana kids are awesome. For example: Phinisee, Langford, TJD. Armaan, Brunk, and Damezi aren't too shabby either. 

According to Rivals, Jerome Hunter was ranked 52, so that's pretty close to your "Top 50" out of state kid. 

He's landed back to back McDonalds All Americans and Indiana Mr. Basketballs. I'd say thats good! Complain all you want about Romeo, but he easily could have gone somewhere else. 

You don't build a team in a couple years, especially when half the team you inhearited was from the previous coach.

Also Race was a top 80 recruit coming out and reclassified and now when healthy is looking very good.

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

"Deep tourney runs" have little to nothing to do with a top 50 out of state recruit deciding where to go.

Where are all the out of state top 50 recruits for Purdue? With their deep tourney runs the last 3 years, that roster should be filled with top 50 out of state recruits, right?

And how did Memphis land its recent recruits without deep tourney runs?

to answer your question about Memphis $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's all about putting together the right pieces and culture. Whether Garcia commits to IU or not (hope he does and I think it would be a great fit for him), I see the foundation coming together.

Virginia won last season’s national title with an incoming recruiting class ranked 65th. Villanova’s two national titles were with classes ranked 28th and 29th. Connecticut was 37th before winning its 2014 national title and Louisville checked in at No. 79 nationally before its 2013 championship.

Kansas and coach Bill Self consistently have top-level recruiting classes and make deep NCAA Tournament runs, but the Jayhawks’ 2008 national title came from an incoming class ranked No. 49.

Arizona has racked up consistent top-10 recruiting classes but has yet to reach the Final Four in 11 seasons under Sean Miller. Programs like UCLA, Ohio State, Syracuse and Texas are typically among the top recruiting classes, but the last NCAA title from that group was the Orange in 2003.

Highly rated recruiting classes certainly make teams better. Having consistency within the program and cohesion, more often than not, is what leads to national championships.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/10/29/top-rated-recruiting-classes-not-always-key-to-hoops-title/

Crean and Sampson were both extroverts.  Blind guess, but K strikes me as more of an introvert vs an extrovert. 

Either way, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? You can be an introvert and flip the switch to be engaging when needed.  Doesn't mean every introvert can, but most can.  Why? Because it's a job.  Plenty of salespeople do it every day.  Can be engaging as hell in front of a client, but when "off stage", isn't one to start very many conversations.  Same as an athlete that gets intense and focused on the court, maybe barking a few words here and there, but is as nice as you could imagine off the court. 

Archie does strike me as introverted, but the guy is smart as hell, and also strikes me as the type that can flip that switch.  I think he has very little patience and tolerance for the media. 

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

If he comes, he comes. If he doesn't the sun will come up tomorrow. Mr. Garcia needs to do what is best for him. Good  luck to him whatever path he takes. 

⬆️⬆️  This.

By all accounts a great kid and great player, but, if IU isnt for him....no worries.  Best of luck to ya.

But from what ive read and heard (interviews n internet chatter, no sources) i think he'll be a Hoosier 😁😁😁🔴🔴🔴

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Then there's this:

This article from April didn't age very well - Marquette has two 2020 recruits both ranked around #75 in the country and both from out of state.

43 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Virginia won last season’s national title with an incoming recruiting class ranked 65th. Villanova’s two national titles were with classes ranked 28th and 29th. Connecticut was 37th before winning its 2014 national title and Louisville checked in at No. 79 nationally before its 2013 championship.

Just to add a little context.  Does UVA win via the Duke/UK style of loading up on one and dones?
No.

That being said you mention Virginia’s class that was rated 65th in the country but the national championship  team also consisted of a class that was rated 7th in the country. That class had the incredibly valuable trio of Guy, Jerome and Hunter.  UVA overachieved, and has a great coach, but it’s not like he cobbled together a natty with average talent.

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Just to add a little context.  Does UVA win via the Duke/UK style of loading up on one and dones?
No.

That being said you mention Virginia’s class that was rated 65th in the country but the national championship  team also consisted of a class that was rated 7th in the country. That class had the incredibly valuable trio of Guy, Jerome and Hunter.  UVA overachieved, and has a great coach, but it’s not like he cobbled together a natty with average talent.

No doubt, but I think the writer's point is still valid:

In the one-and-done era, not to mention the yearly exodus of transfers, the best recruiting classes rarely stay together for very long.

48 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Crean and Sampson were both extroverts.  Blind guess, but K strikes me as more of an introvert vs an extrovert. 

Either way, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? You can be an introvert and flip the switch to be engaging when needed.  Doesn't mean every introvert can, but most can.  Why? Because it's a job.  Plenty of salespeople do it every day.  Can be engaging as hell in front of a client, but when "off stage", isn't one to start very many conversations.  Same as an athlete that gets intense and focused on the court, maybe barking a few words here and there, but is as nice as you could imagine off the court. 

Archie does strike me as introverted, but the guy is smart as hell, and also strikes me as the type that can flip that switch.  I think he has very little patience and tolerance for the media. 

K has 5 national titles.  That alone will recruit itself.  Sampson and Crean were both good recruiters.  Crean had 5 burger boys in 5 classes with 2 being out of state.  Sampson had 2 top 15 recruits in his 2 classes and Ebanks was out of state.  Archie hasn't landed a top 50 out of state guy yet.  I think he can but I'll believe it when I see it.

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

K has 5 national titles.  That alone will recruit itself.  Sampson and Crean were both good recruiters.  Crean had 5 burger boys in 5 classes with 2 being out of state.  Sampson had 2 top 15 recruits in his 2 classes and Ebanks was out of state.  Archie hasn't landed a top 50 out of state guy yet.  I think he can but I'll believe it when I see it.

You’re getting hung up on this out of state recruiting utopia.

It’s a balanced equation...

in state + out of state = class

Archie recruiting is the exact opposite of Crean so by default there is going to be less out of state.

18 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Borzello with ESPN says its Marquette...Corey Evans said Marquette but wouldn’t be surprised if it was IU but he’s going to stick with Marquette...🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

If true color me shocked because I just don't understand how you pick Marquette over IU when it comes to basketball.  He said how IU has the best fan base so how would Marquette feel about him saying that.  Also I don't by location because it is not like Milwaukee is right around the corner from Minneapolis.  Also it is not like Wojo is this great coach who has gotten a lot of players to the NBA.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If true color me shocked because I just don't understand how you pick Marquette over IU when it comes to basketball.  He said how IU has the best fan base so how would Marquette feel about him saying that.  Also I don't by location because it is not like Milwaukee is right around the corner from Minneapolis.  Also it is not like Wojo is this great coach who has gotten a lot of players to the NBA.

I don’t get it either...but I’m not going to let some “experts “ sway me one way or the other until some of the heavy hitters start popping picks like they did with that wildcat who sits on the bench in Lexington.

Archived