Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Looks like we need to start by beating OSU and Purdue first....then we can move up to the big dogs.

We've beaten Purdue enough over the years...I'm not losing any sleep on Morton. We also took Jerome Hunter from Ohio St's backyard but they took DJ Carton so I guess in Archie years were about even. TJD and Romeo outweigh Brooks....and Crean did get Johnson and Zeller over Roy. Actually when you look at our recruiting success and I think about it when I type it makes me sad it hasn't translated to more W's.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know is we have to win on the court or the state's best players will start going elsewhere...similar to what we saw a few years back. The honeymoon is over for Archie. I love the guy but he has to fix what happens on the floor or all his promises won't mean a thing....and I would say that for about 80% of Indiana kids and 99% of national kids....the IU lore doesn't mean anything anymore...they want to play for a winner and improve to hopefully make the NBA. I've got faith...but if we keep losing to OSU and Purdue...we will lose to them on the recruiting trails....Archie's first recruiting class to me doesn't count...because no one knew how and if he could coach. They bought into his message. That won't continue to sell...especially when kids are watching us lose 12 of 13 games....and a 5* top 5 kid look limited in his offense and drop in his rankings possibly even out of lottery range.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

All I know is we have to win on the court or the state's best players will start going elsewhere...similar to what we saw a few years back. The honeymoon is over for Archie. I love the guy but he has to fix what happens on the floor or all his promises won't mean a thing....and I would say that for about 80% of Indiana kids and 99% of national kids....the IU lore doesn't mean anything anymore...they want to play for a winner and improve to hopefully make the NBA. I've got faith...but if we keep losing to OSU and Purdue...we will lose to them on the recruiting trails....Archie's first recruiting class to me doesn't count...because no one knew how and if he could coach. They bought into his message. That won't continue to sell...especially when kids are watching us lose 12 of 13 games....and a 5* top 5 kid look limited in his offense and drop in his rankings possibly even out of lottery range.

80% and 99%?!  Do you really think that, or is frustration over our recent futility causing you to exaggerate the pessimism and negativity? My experience out of state couldn't be further from what you say.  People I talk with still regard the state and IU program as a mecca of basketball. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

80% and 99%?!  Do you really think that, or is frustration over our recent futility causing you to exaggerate the pessimism and negativity? My experience out of state couldn't be further from what you say.  People I talk with still record the state and IU program as a mecca of basketball. 

If you watch a lot of college basketball which I do, you always hear the national media still call IU a blue blood program.  If IU was so irrelevant then why does IU always get the top teams in the ACC/Big ten challenge and get as many national TV games as anyone in the country.

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

80% and 99%?!  Do you really think that, or is frustration over our recent futility causing you to exaggerate the pessimism and negativity? My experience out of state couldn't be further from what you say.  People I talk with still regard the state and IU program as a mecca of basketball. 

Perhaps I’m being a little negative but I grew up in southwestern Indiana...approximately an hour west of Bloomington. IU was the only school kids talked about. Now when I go home talk to my nephews and cousins and to the HS kids they hang out with it’s about 50-50 Purdue/IU fans...when I went to school in Evansville it was about 50-50 UK IU...now you can barely find an IU t-shirt to buy and it’s almost all UK fans. I live in Kentucky and IU is a laughing stock...I go to Southern Illinois a lot where my wife is from and I get pity...that IU and UI are basically one in the same they say. Sure amongst people my age (40) and over they respected and remembered the Knight years but since...dumpster fire mostly is what I get told. Basically IU basketball is Nebraska football. I do hope we can get it back to where we were...I’d love to hang something new in my office to celebrate something from this current millinnium (2000s). We have a long way to go but I don’t get the feeling from young people that IU is a revered program.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you watch a lot of college basketball which I do, you always hear the national media still call IU a blue blood program.  If IU was so irrelevant then why does IU always get the top teams in the ACC/Big ten challenge and get as many national TV games as anyone in the country.

Because iu fans still watch is why. But getting killed by 25 to Duke is no fun.

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps I’m being a little negative but I grew up in southwestern Indiana...approximately an hour west of Bloomington. IU was the only school kids talked about. Now when I go home talk to my nephews and cousins and to the HS kids they hang out with it’s about 50-50 Purdue/IU fans...when I went to school in Evansville it was about 50-50 UK IU...now you can barely find an IU t-shirt to buy and it’s almost all UK fans. I live in Kentucky and IU is a laughing stock...I go to Southern Illinois a lot where my wife is from and I get pity...that IU and UI are basically one in the same they say. Sure amongst people my age (40) and over they respected and remembered the Knight years but since...dumpster fire mostly is what I get told. Basically IU basketball is Nebraska football. I do hope we can get it back to where we were...I’d love to hang something new in my office to celebrate something from this current millinnium (2000s). We have a long way to go but I don’t get the feeling from young people that IU is a revered program.

Fair enough. We're about the same age, and my wife is from Kentucky and graduated from UK. We started dating in 2000, so it's been a tough go. Lots of pity and taunts from her family.

I'm optimistic we have the right guy at the helm, finally.  This season will be a big test. We have to turn the corner to create some momentum.  Hang in there!

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You had to be just a little north of Washington where I grew up.  Lots of farmers around so there's always been a strong contingent of Purdue fans.

Yep...we used to play Washington Catholic a lot during the 80s and early 90s but literally had punches thrown down there so they canceled the games by the time I got to High School. Hope I don’t offend but it was one of the dirtiest places we played as far as how they behaved and terribly officiated....I know lots of people say that about lots of places with Indiana basketball but we always knew when you went to Davies and Knox county to play games it was 7 on 5. Even some of our best teams struggled as coincidentally our star players always ended up in foul trouble only for us to play those team on neautral sites later and beat them by 20. Obviously the Hatchets were a much bigger school we didn’t play them much that I recall.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...we used to play Washington Catholic a lot during the 80s and early 90s but literally had punches thrown down there so they canceled the games by the time I got to High School. Hope I don’t offend but it was one of the dirtiest places we played as far as how they behaved and terribly officiated....I know lots of people say that about lots of places with Indiana basketball but we always knew when you went to Davies and Knox county to play games it was 7 on 5. Even some of our best teams struggled as coincidentally our star players always ended up in foul trouble only for us to play those team on neutral sights later and beat them by 20. Obviously the Hatchets were a much bigger school we didn’t play them much that I recall.

The Hatchets pulled a lot of their officials from out of state.  I'm not sure why but I was always surprised when they announced the officials how far some of them came from.  Tennessee, Georgia...I can't say I understood why they did it, but it happened a lot.  Washington Catholic was pretty good back then.  Had the Stallman and Madison boys.  At one point, they were good enough that they taunted bigger Washington with "We're number one...we're number one...we're number one in Washington!"  Today, they are absolutely awful, but they were a tiny power back in the '80's and '90's.

Oops...forgot where I was...sorry, Dawson!

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The Hatchets pulled a lot of their officials from out of state.  I'm not sure why but I was always surprised when they announced the officials how far some of them came from.  Tennessee, Georgia...I can't say I understood why they did it, but it happened a lot.  Washington Catholic was pretty good back then.  Had the Stallman and Madison boys.  At one point, they were good enough that they taunted bigger Washington with "We're number one...we're number one...we're number one in Washington!"  Today, they are absolutely awful, but they were a tiny power back in the '80's and '90's.

Oops...forgot where I was...sorry, Dawson!

We won our share back then but honestly I remember my cousin and my older brother games and someone always left game for stitches. Yeah I haven’t heard much from them in recent time...heck my school is closed. Yeah we didn’t play Washington that I remember...when we played bigger schools it was usually Terre Haute or Vincennes but there were plenty of good small schools like Bloomfield, WRV, Eastern Greene, North Davies, Linton-Stockton, North Knox to play.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

New video from two weeks ago on Garcia.  Really a special, special talent.  Very unique skill set for his size.  Going to be a major win for someone.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/video-iu-basketball-2020-target-dawson-garcia-shows-off-versatile-skill-set/

Nailed it. Very unique skill set for a man of his size. Get him in our strength program And I think he would be an awesome addition. We’ve struck out on these highly ranked out of state guys lately but would be nice to get one.

Whoa.  Just watched.  That guy is going to the NBA, no doubt in my mind.  

He's a good example of the difference between a kid that is tall, and a kid that is a basketball player.  And he's really not that skinny.  Good build/strength for a young'un.

I love that we're on this kid, and love that we have some Minnesota connections.  It wouldn't surprise me if his recruitment reaches the highest levels.  Seems like the kind that ends up somewhere in near Raleigh.  

8 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

He's a good example of the difference between a kid that is tall, and a kid that is a basketball player.  And he's really not that skinny.  Good build/strength for a young'un.

I love that we're on this kid, and love that we have some Minnesota connections.  It wouldn't surprise me if his recruitment reaches the highest levels.  Seems like the kind that ends up somewhere in near Raleigh.  

Well he probably will go to Duke because it seems like lately the very best players from Minnesota goes to Duke

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well he probably will go to Duke because it seems like lately the very best players from Minnesota goes to Duke

Three freshman for the Gophers last season were the three highest rated players in the state the year prior.

Kalscheur, Oturu, and Omersa. The first two played quite a bit. Omersa came on at the end of the year.

3 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Yes...like he was a guard that grew but also he has decent girth too. I’m sure Duke and others know about him...he played on Hurts team I think. I ain’t going to lie...minnesota is producing some excellent basketball players right now...hopefully we can get our share.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Shows you how much I pay attention to some threads. This dude is 6'11? Wow. 

Hope you have watched some of his highlights...because he doesn’t play like a 6’11 dude...very well balanced game and can play around the rim or on the perimeter. I think he would surprise a lot of people around here and I can see why Archie is prioritizing him. That said I don’t think he will go under the radar with any coaches out there.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Hope you have watched some of his highlights...because he doesn’t play like a 6’11 dude...very well balanced game and can play around the rim or on the perimeter. I think he would surprise a lot of people around here and I can see why Archie is prioritizing him. That said I don’t think he will go under the radar with any coaches out there.

If only we had another recruit who instead of being 6'11...he was 3-4 inches undersized that would develop into a guy we wish we would have recruited. Right? Haha.

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If only we had another recruit who instead of being 6'11...he was 3-4 inches undersized that would develop into a guy we wish we would have recruited. Right? Haha.

I’m for anyone that will turn this program around. I don’t care if the kid is from China if they want to play here and have the skills to help us I want to find them. Doesn’t hurt we have several in our backyard but I don’t want to hear about people complaining about kids from outside the state..we need some talented ball players no matter where they grew up and learned the game. If they love IU then that’s good enough for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived