Jerome Hunter

Hoosier98

That was one tweet....another said he's resumed practice but can't be around players because of the medication he's taking for leg. All we can hope is that each step is a good one for this kid. He's the one shooter we've been missing but bigger picture. Just want this kid to get healthy for him. Can't imagine the anger/frustration. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Perhaps the isolation is actually a GOOD THING, considering the team dynamics of this year's group of guys.     

Jerome is one of the few players on the bench who is always up clapping and cheering during good team play and individual accolades. He has definitely been missing on this team in more ways than one.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That was one tweet....another said he's resumed practice but can't be around players because of the medication he's taking for leg. All we can hope is that each step is a good one for this kid. He's the one shooter we've been missing but bigger picture. Just want this kid to get healthy for him. Can't imagine the anger/frustration. 

If the lower leg condition is indeed deep vein thrombosis (DVT) as has been hypothesized, then the medication in question is likely anti-coagulant (ie blood thinner). This is important because it would explain the NON-contact setting of his clearance. Any type of contact could lead to serious bleeding side effect of the medication. 

Most first time unprovoked DVTs are treated with anti-coagulation for 6-9 months. This would put timeline for return to contact during the summer assuming no setbacks. 

Really pulling for the best for Jerome and love his energy on the sideline!

2 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

If the lower leg condition is indeed deep vein thrombosis (DVT) as has been hypothesized, then the medication in question is likely anti-coagulant (ie blood thinner). This is important because it would explain the NON-contact setting of his clearance. Any type of contact could lead to serious bleeding side effect of the medication. 

Most first time unprovoked DVTs are treated with anti-coagulation for 6-9 months. This would put timeline for return to contact during the summer assuming no setbacks. 

Thanks for your info 

7 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Thanks for information. Didn't think before the season started I would know so much about blood clots and impacts of this type of injury. Couple people chimed in on twitter echoing this exactly. They said if he was cut in practice and started to bleed that for lack of a better term he could bleed out? Is that the severity of this medicine/injury/recovery?

7 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

It could actually be April. If the medication started in Nov. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Well he been on the bench for games so he has been around a lot of people

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well he been on the bench for games so he has been around a lot of people

Yep. But I think sitting on the bench in sweats fully covered is different from the risks of him getting hurt in practice....and potentially bleeding. That seems to be the difference. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not specifically in Jerome's case, but wasn't there some discussion around the idea that basketball kids could play a limited number of games and not burn their redshirt year?

Similar to the 4 game rule for football?

I very well could be wrong, but I do believe that is a football only rule.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. But I think sitting on the bench in sweats fully covered is different from the risks of him getting hurt in practice....and potentially bleeding. That seems to be the difference. 

Bingo.  If he's on blood thinners it's not worth the risk of getting cut by accident from an elbow, scratch or whatever.

The good news though is he can work with the trainers and get back in shape.  By summer I'm hoping he is ready to go.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play more than anyone else next year.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for information. Didn't think before the season started I would know so much about blood clots and impacts of this type of injury. Couple people chimed in on twitter echoing this exactly. They said if he was cut in practice and started to bleed that for lack of a better term he could bleed out? Is that the severity of this medicine/injury/recovery?

Yes, but the real risk for contact while on a blood thinner is trauma to the head resulting in an intracranial hemorrhage. Also can have bleeding into joints (hemarthrosis) which could be severely debilitating. IU and the great Dr. Tim Garl have handles this situation very well. Sometimes these situations can lead to a turf war when an IU athlete needs outside opinion; I’m glad he got the care he needed at Cleaveland Clinic and support from IU administration  

Quick google search suggests Bosh also had blood clots. His actually went to his lungs which would definitely impact further pulmonary function. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Maybe somebody out there knows more than I, but Chris Bosh's career ended with a blood clot problem?  

Wish Jerome the best.

I'm not a doctor, so no clue if location matters, but I believe Bosh's problem was clots around the heart. Just assuming that is more serious?

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not a doctor, so no clue if location matters, but I believe Bosh's problem was clots around the heart. Just assuming that is more serious?

Bosh had clotting issues in his lungs and leg.  While location does come into play, the biggest worry with a blood clotting issue is a clot forming in a larger vessel, dislodging and then completely blocking a smaller vessel, particularly in the brain.  Recipe for an instant stroke. 

Archived