C.Ark post game

Indykev

My take aways after pounding a 6 pack.

The "Rico Suave" award goes to Devonte Green.  Great game.

Glad to see Justin amp it up.

Juwan was, well Juwan.

Romeo was, well Romeo.

Loved the assist/TO ratio.

Liked seeing Jake and Clifton get some PT.  We are going to need them.

Hope and pray Phin is OK.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

^%&#!#!☢️!*^&☠️!^%#!$#@*%$#!$!☢️

Thank God this team has depth because it's been a real MASH unit this season.

Thing is we really don’t have much depth at the guard spot. Just when the kid was starting to get on a roll. Hope Greens shooting wasn’t fools gold...we might be needing a lot more of that the next couple weeks.

As for tonight's game, we were way to sloppy with the ball for an extended amount of minutes to start the game. This wouldn't bother me if it wasn't a pattern we've seemed to develop. I really hope we avoid this against our next cupcake. We also came out flat in the second half. These issues are really the only concerning notes on a night we took care of business like we should against a team of this caliber, which was quite nice to see. 

It was nice to see the bench guys get some playing time. I hope we can work some of those guys (Cliff, Anderson, and Forrester) into the rotation a bit earlier next game during competitive minutes.  There's really one more game to give some of those guys an opportunity on the floor before they become insurance policies for our main rotation. I hope Archie takes advantage of it. 

Fun box score tonight.  25 assists on 36 made field goals is really impressive.  Langford with 18 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, and only 1 turnover is sick. But Green somehow topped him... 19 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 1 block, and only 2 turnovers is probably his best game at IU.  Forrester looked very good with 8 points in 7 minutes off the bench.  Slow starts are still a problem, but we’ve been able to respond thus far.  No reason Phinisee should be out for very long... I rewatched that collision multiple times and saw barely any contact.

Another example of someone going through concussion protocol this year is Trevor Lawrence (Clemson Qb) when he was injured during the Boston College game. He was in protocol for 2 days and played the next week - let’s hope Rob has a similar outcome. Regardless, as mentioned above...it Christmas break so it’s a good time to rest.

17 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You forgot Illinois :snack:

Yeah...fortunately for us, we play UI and Rutgers both home and away. They will be this season's doormat (seems like Rutgers is a perpetual doormat). One thing to say is even when they are not good at all in any given season, they still have bunch of D-1 level athletes on their rosters. They're not like those Kenpom 250+ level cupcakes that we don't need to worry anything about beating them. If they catch us on our real bad day, they can give us trouble. But I'm actually feeling more comfortable than I was in previous years 'cause we have pretty good defense this season. We should get 4Ws against UI and Rutgers. :) 

Pretty happy with everything after the first TV timeout. 

Have thought since the pre-season that this teams ceiling will be determined by Devonte Green. 

Not overreacting due to quality of opponent, but DG and RP ability to hit from 3 really makes this team a lot better, especially given their ability to penetrate as well. 

7 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Pretty happy with everything after the first TV timeout. 

Have thought since the pre-season that this teams ceiling will be determined by Devonte Green. 

Not overreacting due to quality of opponent, but DG and RP ability to hit from 3 really makes this team a lot better, especially given their ability to penetrate as well. 

We’ve hit 29/77 (37.7%) from three over the last four games, and that includes 3 games against quality opponents, with 2 away from home.  Like you said, most of that production has come from Green (10/16) and Phinisee (8/14).  That’s been huge for this team, especially with Romeo not being able to buy a bucket from three (2/14).  I don’t understand why those midrange jumpers look like a layup for him, but he’s bricking everything from beyond the arc.  

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

We’ve hit 29/77 (37.7%) from three over the last four games, and that includes 3 games against quality opponents, with 2 away from home.  Like you said, most of that production has come from Green (10/16) and Phinisee (8/14).  That’s been huge for this team, especially with Romeo not being able to buy a bucket from three (2/14).  I don’t understand why those midrange jumpers look like a layup for him, but he’s bricking everything from beyond the arc.  

Romeo will find his deep range eventually. He has nice form. He's a scorer more than a shooter, but every reason to think his deep shot will improve significantly with time.

Green and Phin are getting it going for sure, but guys like Al and Morgan can shoot from deep as well. Morgan's deep shooting has been ridiculously good, will be interesting to see how well it holds up as his shot attempts continue to increase.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good Davonte is so much fun to watch. Energetic hustle confidence last night we saw it. I believe we will continue maybe not at that level but very high. Bad DG makes me regret giving up alcohol 

If we could consistently get an 80/20 or even 70/30 split between Good DG and Bad DG we'd be in good shape.  Him playing consistently at that level would take this team to another level.  Unfortunately, consistency is a problem.  I told a buddy this morning that I wouldn't be shocked if he went scoreless on Saturday.  What we saw from his last night, we desperately need going forward.  

For Romeo, everything came so easy in high school that shooting a 3 pointer was him 'settling' for a shot, not using it as a weapon.  Therefore, it was not the focus of his game.  When he did shoot them, it seemed like the deeper he was, the better he shot it.  His hash mark attempts seemed to be more successful than those where he was right up to the line.     

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

For Romeo, everything came so easy in high school that shooting a 3 pointer was him 'settling' for a shot, not using it as a weapon.  Therefore, it was not the focus of his game.  When he did shoot them, it seemed like the deeper he was, the better he shot it.  His hash mark attempts seemed to be more successful than those where he was right up to the line.     

Romeo is a better shooter off the dribble, on set backs or guarded. He is used to double teams in high school   He was not a spot up shooter

4 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Romeo is a better shooter off the dribble, on set backs or guarded. He is used to double teams in high school   He was not a spot up shooter

And for that, instead of heading directly to the NBA..... Romeo, instead should be testing the waters. I am sure there are some in the NBA, that are saying his game is not complete as of yet. 

Romeo.  Forget the hype.  And listen. Listen. Listen. 

Your day will come.  But not next year. 

I'm starting to think Cliff Moore may be a contributor his Junior and Senior year. Was somewhat impressed with his defensive positioning and understanding towards the end of the C Ark game. I understand Forrester got the focus due to the points, but I was intently watching Moore, and came away thinking, "man, he's ALMOST there".

I think he's worked his way up to the point of me rather having him in the game as opposed to DeRon against a fast paced team. DeRon is still just a step behind defensively. And while Moore is too, I think Moore is quick enough to recover.

Will be interesting to see how that progresses.

21 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There's a crazy stat line and analysis of LeBron, can't remember where I saw it but it's recent. He is shooting better than anyone, including Curry, from really deep, since 2000 (the earliest the stats on the shot go back). And it's a crazy good percentage, can't remember exactly but something like 50%. Too lazy to look it up again and at the office, but similar to what you're saying about Romeo (and LeBron came into the NBA without a deep shot). Not saying Romeo is the next LeBron, but the comparison on ease of scoring at the high school level and not concentrating on his outside game is there. 

34 minutes ago, ephul said:

I'm starting to think Cliff Moore may be a contributor his Junior and Senior year. Was somewhat impressed with his defensive positioning and understanding towards the end of the C Ark game. I understand Forrester got the focus due to the points, but I was intently watching Moore, and came away thinking, "man, he's ALMOST there".

I think he's worked his way up to the point of me rather having him in the game as opposed to DeRon against a fast paced team. DeRon is still just a step behind defensively. And while Moore is too, I think Moore is quick enough to recover.

Will be interesting to see how that progresses.

Facing Juwan and DeRon in practice everyday will pay benefits for both CM and JF

Archived