Better Recruiting Necessitates Patience

I can be patient.I'm still rooting for IUFB with the same passion as I had back in '86 Lol 

I would have liked to see them go ahead and anoint Penix early on and let it fly much more.

They pretty much wasted Reese Taylor's Freshman year, IMO.  He isn't a far cry from Rondale Moore yet look at the difference in production. Usage, etc.When Taylor stepped on the field teams mostly  knew what was coming and that being said he's capable of making more plays if he gets the ball more. Moving forward that is likely to increase, and his numbers will likely stay I in proportion.The biggest difference between Moore and Taylor is Purdue rode Moore much more.  He was utilized as a regular enough part of enough plays to the point it disguised him better..Taylor should have been more than what I felt was mostly a decoy or a gimmick. I wanted to edit to clarify since I didnt explain originally.That sums it up.It was an egregious error to me to play Taylor for more than 4 games if he's not ready to play a huge role,  and if he was not to give him more opportunities. He could have been 3rd QB,saved his RS and the overall season outcome would likely have not changed alot.

So  I  can't say I agree very strongly about how the 2018 inbound class were used.

Why have I came away from this thread already thinking about Mike Davis saying "Help is on the way". This isn't the basketball forum .lol 

Agree wholeheartedly with our use of Taylor.  We seem like we're scared of getting our important players hurt.  Taylor was our 3rd string QB, so let's go easy on him so he doesn't get hurt!  Backup goes down...let's put Taylor in a bubble so he doesn't get hurt!  The hell with that!  We can't hold somebody back because we're afraid they'll get hurt.  I feel like we somewhat did that with Ramsey too.  He seemed like he didn't want to keep the ball on the read option.  He could have had a lot better running season than he did and opened more up for our RBs.

I really hope with Fryfogle back, Taylor as a SO, and some bigger receivers outside in Hale and Westbrook that we really open things up.  Put Penix or Tuttle in there, and make teams cover the entire field.  Have Hale or Westbrook in single coverage, try to hit one deep.  Get a mismatch with Taylor or Fryfogle on a safety or LB, get them the ball in space and let them work.  Defense brings in an extra DB to cover our skilled wide receivers, hit them with Scott, or Walker, or James, or Penix.

Our use of Taylor was a microcosm of why DeBord is a bad OC.  Way too conservative, and played not to lose instead of played to win.  I'm tired of taking what the defense gives us.  We have a lot of playmakers on offense.  Put them in position to make a play and not just throw it 3 yards every time because its open.

But I agree with the premise of the original post.  I drool a little bit thinking about the weapons we're going to have on offense in a year or two.  Throw in our young defense with Allen's defensive coaching, and this really could be the start of something.  And, we're IU football, so what's another year or two of waiting lol.

Another thought came to mind today. Did Taylor really not attempt a pass all year?

I looked on different websites and didn't see any pass attempts, but I was thinking he might have had 1 somewhere.

Either way, what a waste of a weapon.

It's like we had a grenade launcher with 3 grenades in it and we kept firing with pistols until we were all shot down because we didn't want to potentially waste our 3 grenades.

18 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Another thought came to mind today. Did Taylor really not attempt a pass all year?

I looked on different websites and didn't see any pass attempts, but I was thinking he might have had 1 somewhere.

Either way, what a waste of a weapon.

It's like we had a grenade launcher with 3 grenades in it and we kept firing with pistols until we were all shot down because we didn't want to potentially waste our 3 grenades.

Can't find one either.  I did see he had 3 KRs for 66 yards.

Archived