Turkey drop. Life imitating art ?

milehiiu

^^ Hey Leather.  My wife worked along side a great science teacher, in middle school.  He would do the egg drop.  And rockets into the air.  Long before there were drones. Great idea of yours.  Really.  Somehow to think of dropping a turkey, even if not real, from a drone would interest me.  I think your students would love it as well. Just before Thanksgiving break.  Got to think of a way to do it.  And if you do.  You Tube it.  Could be the next thing to go viral.   I am serious. 

I'll have to give it some thought on how we'd be able to do that.  We're thinking of making a Dude Perfect type video in one of my classes.  We'll explain the physics behind what is happening and how it is working, and then we'll do trick shots based on that knowledge.

In AP Physics we're talking about rotational motion, so today we examined the motion of the fan blades in the room.  The blades travel faster on the outside edge, so we calculated the velocity at a few different spots and threw ping pong balls in the fan at different locations and saw how fast they came off.  Because we're nerds, we know where the ball will come off the fan blade, so we were able to make it in my fish tank.  They loved it.

I have a few more ideas like a ping pong ball shot into a cup inside the rotating barrel at the park, and keep spinning it so the centripetal keeps it in the cup as it spins around.  There are a few more ideas I have that I think would make an awesome video.  We could even call it Dude Physics haha.

Sounds to me, as if you are a really cool teacher.  Thinking of things that are contemporary, fresh and of interest to students.

Another thread.  Can't help you on google glasses. But love the fact that you are even thinking of using them as a learning device.

Thanks!  I try to make it exciting.  I know kids will want to learn a lot more if they are enjoying it than if they are sitting there reading from a book and doing problems all day.

Tomorrow is the day we test the Home Alone 2 brick drop to see if it would have killed Marv, so that is always a fun day.  We finished the calculations today, and tomorrow is the day I throw bricks out of the 3rd floor window onto pumpkins, watermelons, and coconuts to see what it would have done to his head.  It's a smashing good time!

Archived