Strange food you ate that was really good! Now with RECIPES!

Drroogh

Just now, rico said:

Well according to the little lady it is a Korean thing.  But it was like sauerkraut to me.

Sauerkraut is just another form of fermented cabbage, the Korean's tend to spice things up! Mine was definitely spicy. Still having lived in South Bend where they say the Polish population is second only to Warsaw, my favorite version of fermented cabbage is Polish sweet and sour cabbage! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sauerkraut is just another form of fermented cabbage, the Korean's tend to spice things up! Mine was definitely spicy. Still having lived in South Bend where they say the Polish population is second only to Warsaw, my favorite version of fermented cabbage is Polish sweet and sour cabbage! 

I love all "krauts".  And thanks, you made me hungry for Polish sausage.  But I will have to talk to Dad about the Kimchi.  He spent a lot of time over in that part of the world due to Viet Nam.  He will point me to who has the best in my area.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rico said:

I love all "krauts".  And thanks, you made me hungry for Polish sausage.  But I will have to talk to Dad about the Kimchi.  He spent a lot of time over in that part of the world due to Viet Nam.  He will point me to who has the best in my area.

Polish sausage is great but read my edit on the last page about my experience with real German sausage,  Real German sausage is spectacular!!

Edited by Drroogh

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Polish sausage is great but read my edit on the last page about my experience with real German sausage,  Real German sausage is spectacular!!

That is just it.  Where do I get real German sausage around here?  I have been to Germany and it is fantastic.  So I got to settle for the Polish stuff.  Seeing as how I live close to South Bend and visit Chicago frequently.  Damn, I just thought of something.......I need to check with the Amish.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Had some rotten cabbage, I mean Kimchi, the other day for the first time! Was decent but not great, that being said with 1000's of recipes for Kimchi and my first experience, I can't comment on whether what I experienced was Good Kimchi, or Bad Kimchi. Still it was good enough that I will try again.

I love Kimchi.  I eat it and sauer kraut for the probiotics. I get my kimchi from and international Asain market. I say try a few different kinds if you can. Could have just been some bad kimchi.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

koseliena - Lithuanian jellied pigs feet

My grandparents were 1st generation Lithuanian, and this is very much a dish from the "old country". Personally, not a fan, but it's definitely unique.

Interesting.....never had it but I have had pickled pigs feet.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Now we have recipes? Not sure I want to share some of the family secret recipes? Actually, since I am trying to limit carbs in my diet I'm actually eager to try a thought I had about flatbreads. My Norwegian relatives make Lefse with potatoes, I wonder how things would turn out if I substituted Cauliflower? I'll let you know, although I don't have a reference as I've never made traditional Lefse before?

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Now we have recipes? Not sure I want to share some of the family secret recipes? Actually, since I am trying to limit carbs in my diet I'm actually eager to try a thought I had about flatbreads. My Norwegian relatives make Lefse with potatoes, I wonder how things would turn out if I substituted Cauliflower? I'll let you know, although I don't have a reference as I've never made traditional Lefse before?

Hey you started the thread, you can change the title to include recipes.......just sayin'

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I haven't heard of or made lefse before. But looked it up and I think a cauliflower pizza crust recipe might be an option as a substitute. I have also had good luck using almond flour or tapioca flour as substitutes in recipes.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Consider it the evolution of a good thread.  That's how a good thread becomes a great thread. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I haven't heard of or made lefse before. But looked it up and I think a cauliflower pizza crust recipe might be an option as a substitute. I have also had good luck using almond flour or tapioca flour as substitutes in recipes.  

I've used both Almond flour and Soy flour before but don't think I have seen Tapioca locally. I know both soy and almond state on the package you should only substitute about a third of the wheat flour, how about tapioca?

• Drroogh changed the title to Strange food you ate that was really good! Now with RECIPES!

The original title of this thread was that the food was good... in this case, I’d say that it depends on the person.

Living in Wisconsin for several years we met many people of Scandinavian descent, many of them Lutheran. I still haven’t figured out what the attraction was, but lutefisk meals, were big events. Lutefisk—cod soaked in lye, then deep fried. Maybe Badgervol has some experience with this but all I can say is that I couldn’t drink enough beer to compensate for the gawdawful taste 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I've used both Almond flour and Soy flour before but don't think I have seen Tapioca locally. I know both soy and almond state on the package you should only substitute about a third of the wheat flour, how about tapioca?

Generally a 1:1 ratio.  Maybe 1.5:1 if making a gravy. It is very fine and more like regular flour where almond flour can be a bit mealy. 

Usually get mine out of a bulk bin at Kroger for 2.99lb I believe. I know Amazon has it if if none is available locally. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The original title of this thread was that the food was good... in this case, I’d say that it depends on the person.

Living in Wisconsin for several years we met many people of Scandinavian descent, many of them Lutheran. I still haven’t figured out what the attraction was, but lutefisk meals, were big events. Lutefisk—cod soaked in lye, then deep fried. Maybe Badgervol has some experience with this but all I can say is that I couldn’t drink enough beer to compensate for the gawdawful taste 

In spite of my Scandinavian Heritage I have never experienced Lutefisk, it's on my bucket list! Beyond that my Scottish heritage has me wanting to experience Haggis! From what I've heard it is like Lutefisk, an acquired taste!