Strange food you ate that was really good! Now with RECIPES!

Drroogh

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have never had this, but have a manager whose family swears by it.

Every Thanksgiving, he buys about a dozen White Castles and his wife makes their stuffing from them. Several key ingredients are there--meat ( I think) bread, onions. She just adds celery and spices, puts it all in a food processor, and voila. There adult kids request it every year, and won't eat anything else.

The recipe is out there on the net, for those who want to give it a shot.

I wonder who comes up with this stuff?  I am gonna have to try it!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

Every Thanksgiving, he buys about a dozen White Castles and his wife makes their stuffing from them. Several key ingredients are there--meat ( I think) bread, onions. She just adds celery and spices, puts it all in a food processor, and voila. There adult kids request it every year, and won't eat anything else.

That sounds even more delicious than a dozen White Castles at 3AM after a dozen or two cheap beers.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:06 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes. I have seen it.  Plus this one :

White Castle Casserole 

Not really a strange food. But one, I am sure many of you have never heard of.  In that regard, it make it strange to you. Since I am making them for dinner tonight.  I thought I would introduce you to the Pueblo Slopper. Famous in Pueblo, Colorado.... and hard to find in many other parts of Colorado.

Where are the best sloppers in Pueblo?

Many different ways to make them. I use a cheeseburger, instead of pork as in this recipe :

The Slopper | TODAY.com

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Not really a strange food. But one, I am sure many of you have never heard of.  In that regard, it make it strange to you. Since I am making them for dinner tonight.  I thought I would introduce you to the Pueblo Slopper. Famous in Pueblo, Colorado.... and hard to find in many other parts of Colorado.

Where are the best sloppers in Pueblo?

Many different ways to make them. I use a cheeseburger, instead of pork as in this recipe :

The Slopper | TODAY.com

Sounds great, enjoy!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Sounds great, enjoy!

Just finished my slopper. It was very enjoyable.  Just to clarify, the green chile is made with pork.  That I then pour over an open face cheeseburger.  If you do not want to make your own green chili.... there are many sold in grocery stores, that you can use.  We used one tonight that my wife made.   MMMMMM !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just finished my slopper. It was very enjoyable.  Just to clarify, the green chile is made with pork.  That I then pour over an open face cheeseburger.  If you do not want to make your own green chili.... there are many sold in grocery stores, that you can use.  We used one tonight that my wife made.   MMMMMM !

Pork Chile Verde, cheeseburger....throw some bacon on that and it might be enough to actually kill a vegan. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

So was experimenting this weekend, started out with scratch olive oil mayo. 1st egg had too much lemon juice for my taste so made a second egg without and combined. Turned out well but a little salty, so I will reduce salt next time. https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/olive-oil-mayonnaise-379245

Next I made some scratch sweet chili sauce, https://inquiringchef.com/thai-sweet-chili-sauce/   

Since I'm trying to watch carb's, I substituted Stevia for the sugar, unfortunately still needed some sweet and since Stevia is so concentrated I ended up adding some sugar. Turned out well but not spectacular, will have to experiment some more.

However, the ultimate goal was Bang Bang chicken salad.

Boiled some chicken in chicken broth until fork tender, layered a bed of baby spinach mixed the shredded chicken with chopped scallions and chopped celery. Added in equal parts of the mayo and sweet chili, mixed all together and OMG!!! If you like spicier just add some Siracha sauce! 

You can of course just use store bought mayo and chili sauce but then you get all of those extra ingredients!

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So was experimenting this weekend, started out with scratch olive oil mayo. 1st egg had too much lemon juice for my taste so made a second egg without and combined. Turned out well but a little salty, so I will reduce salt next time. https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/olive-oil-mayonnaise-379245

Next I made some scratch sweet chili sauce, https://inquiringchef.com/thai-sweet-chili-sauce/   

Since I'm trying to watch carb's, I substituted Stevia for the sugar, unfortunately still needed some sweet and since Stevia is so concentrated I ended up adding some sugar. Turned out well but not spectacular, will have to experiment some more.

However, the ultimate goal was Bang Bang chicken salad.

Boiled some chicken in chicken broth until fork tender, layered a bed of baby spinach mixed the shredded chicken with chopped scallions and chopped celery. Added in equal parts of the mayo and sweet chili, mixed all together and OMG!!! If you like spicier just add some Siracha sauce! 

You can of course just use store bought mayo and chili sauce but then you get all of those extra ingredients!

I make my own mayo weekly. Since that recipe is too lemony for you try 1 tbsp of lemon 1 tbsp of distilled vinegar. The idea is to just have the acidity in there to retard any potential bacterial growth. 

I need to try this bang bang chicken salad.  Sounds great. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...