Strange food you ate that was really good! Now with RECIPES!

Drroogh

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I ate escargot once before I was vegan.... had it coming out both ends for the next two days. 

I’ve had bad escargot but mostly when I’ve tried it has been excellent! Maybe you had an experience like I did with head cheese? Or perhaps even an allergic reaction 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As a 6 year old growing up in the midwest I can say that when we visited my family in Santa Barbara I had swordfish. At the time it was the strangest thing I thought possible to eat. Still to this day I remember how good it was. Mind was blown at an early age. 

Pretty expensive eating for a 6 year old.  Swordfish ain't cheap.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Pretty expensive eating for a 6 year old.  Swordfish ain't cheap.

Was lucky in certain aspects. Of course I also was the only kid in the neighborhood who had a paper route at age 8. 65 homes. Papers had to be delivered by 6am. Chicago. Gets a little chilly and windy in the winter which is technically mid Sept-May. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was lucky in certain aspects. Of course I also was the only kid in the neighborhood who had a paper route at age 8. 65 homes. Papers had to be delivered by 6am. Chicago. Gets a little chilly and windy in the winter which is technically mid Sept-May. 

I had an Uncle that lived down in the Keys in the winter.  He would come north in the spring.  You name it, he had it as far as salt water fish.  Miss that guy, but the swordfish was always my favorite when he would invite us over for some "exotic" cuisine.  Good stuff.

• Like 2

I love me some grilled swordfish. First time i had it was a few years ago when i bought some from the freezer at trader joes in indy.  

First time i went to key west the wife and i went on a fishing trip. She caught a hogfish and a spanish mackerel. Had it fried up at a restaurant. Later went to a place called hogfish bar and grill and had hogfish tacos. That is some good stuff too.  Really neat looking fish. Ugly though. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Since I miss typed in the post Nebraska thread, pizza came up again!  Have to say, if you are ever in Northern Wisconsin, near Hayward, you need to stop at Anglers Haven on Lac Couderay! Some of the best pizza I have ever eaten! 

I thought this was a strange food thread?  Just sayin'

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:46 AM, rico said:

I thought this was a strange food thread?  Just sayin'

Finally back after taking a much needed hiatus,... would you allow for the fact that they do offer some strange pizza toppings like artichoke hearts? They however, do not offer the HH despised eggs as toppings! And while my liquid courage afflicted typing fingers were severally challenged after the NU game the actual spelling of the lake is the French Lac Courte Oreilles. Still some pretty darn good pizza if you are ever in the area and definitely some pretty darn good fishing in all the area lakes!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I only mention this because I haven't known anyone that didn't specifically hunt for rabbits having had it. So people probably find it strange. 

Rabbit is delicious.  Served with potatoes and gravy. 

Was recently at a resteraunt that offered a dish made with Rabbit Livers, I was really tempted but went with something safer as I was in a foreign country. Will definitely have to put rabbit on my list!

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I only mention this because I haven't known anyone that didn't specifically hunt for rabbits having had it. So people probably find it strange. 

Rabbit is delicious.  Served with potatoes and gravy. 

Where is my hasenpfeffer?  Grandma used to make it all the time when the season was in.  BTW I am of German descent.  Tasty stuff.

• Like 2

Had some rotten cabbage, I mean Kimchi, the other day for the first time! Was decent but not great, that being said with 1000's of recipes for Kimchi and my first experience, I can't comment on whether what I experienced was Good Kimchi, or Bad Kimchi. Still it was good enough that I will try again.

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, mrflynn03 said:

My favorite german food is leberkase.  

Just started experimenting with home made sausages, received a meat grinder as a gift at Christmas. After reading yours and Rico's posts, looked up a recipe for Leberkase. Looked interesting, even saw pork neck at my local grocery tonight, might have to try making some after I get more adept! 

Have to add a story about German sausages, overnighted in Frankfurt Germany with a large group. About a dozen of us went out wandering late in the evening experiencing a truly wonderful city and looking for something to eat. We weren't having much luck finding a resteraunt until we came across a menu board completely in German outside a basement resteraunt. Since we were hungry and it was late we went on in. Nobody in the resteraunt spoke English and only one of us spoke some German, he looked at the menu and finally said I think this says Meat Tray, as hungry as we were we all said OK let's try. They brought out a tray about a meter across heaped with different sausages. Have to say every one of them was the best I have ever eaten, they really know how to make sausage in Germany!!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Had some rotten cabbage, I mean Kimchi, the other day for the first time! Was decent but not great, that being said with 1000's of recipes for Kimchi and my first experience, I can't comment on whether what I experienced was Good Kimchi, or Bad Kimchi. Still it was good enough that I will try again.

Did you eat it with good chop sticks or bad chop sticks?  Or are you like me and just used a damn fork?  LOL

Edited by rico

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just started experimenting with home made sausages, received a meat grinder as a gift at Christmas. After reading yours and Rico's posts, looked up a recipe for Leberkase. Looked interesting, even saw pork neck at my local grocery tonight, might have to try making some after I get more adept! 

I am sure you will get it.  Keep us updated on the progress.

• Like 1