Strange food you ate that was really good! Now with RECIPES!

Drroogh

On 2/5/2019 at 11:39 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I haven't heard of or made lefse before. But looked it up and I think a cauliflower pizza crust recipe might be an option as a substitute. I have also had good luck using almond flour or tapioca flour as substitutes in recipes.  

Kroger actually sells pre-made cauliflower-based pizza crusts.

My grandpa was part of an advisory team attached to an ARVN unit during the Vietnam war. One of the few things he talked about was the food. He had to eat what they did and he talked about a fermented fish sauce they put on everything. It's made by fermenting fish heads in barrels for 2 years.  Bizarre foods has an episode that goes into detail.

Back in October in Nashville I found what appeared to be an authentic vietnamese restaurant.  Ive been wanting to try it forever so I went. I ordered a vietnamese rice noodle dish with shrimp and beef forgetting about the sauce. 

The smell would have gagged a maggot.  My wife ordered the same so it was double whammy.  Ended up being really good once I got acclimated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My grandpa was part of an advisory team attached to an ARVN unit during the Vietnam war. One of the few things he talked about was the food. He had to eat what they did and he talked about a fermented fish sauce they put on everything. It's made by fermenting fish heads in barrels for 2 years.  Bizarre foods has an episode that goes into detail.

Back in October in Nashville I found what appeared to be an authentic vietnamese restaurant.  Ive been wanting to try it forever so I went. I ordered a vietnamese rice noodle dish with shrimp and beef forgetting about the sauce. 

The smell would have gagged a maggot.  My wife ordered the same so it was double whammy.  Ended up being really good once I got acclimated. 

Sorry but  you just Made me feel really old as I was draft eligible during the Vietnam War (my number was 256, still remember it) and you referenced your grandpa.☹️

Hope it makes you feel young and viral though!:cheers:

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sorry but  you just Made me feel really old as I was draft eligible during the Vietnam War (my number was 256, still remember it) and you referenced your grandpa.☹️

Hope it makes you feel young and viral though!:cheers:

If it helps he was there in 1964 and had 17 years in service at the time. 

I do feel young though, but seeing less hair on the top of my head is getting frustrating😕

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If it helps he was there in 1964 and had 17 years in service at the time. 

I do feel young though, but seeing less hair on the top of my head is getting frustrating😕

Truth be told in the animal house posting about strange food I was looking for a recipe and found a card my Mother left about a recipe that used a special implement that she had from her Grandmother. I still have it, and it must be WAY more than 100 years old. I'm just feeling old tonight!

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Venison tenderloin is awesome, and deer jerky should be considered as an addictive substance.

I don't hunt, but I got plenty of friends that do on my property.

I love the meat as does the little lady.  One bud processes his own and gives me some.  He does what he calls a "snack stick".  Very similar to a "Slim Jim".  Tasty.  None of it is bad to me.  Julie is great at making meatloaf out of the burger.  Another dish she makes is what she calls "Poorman's Steak".  She will take venison cube steaks and put them into a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup.  

18 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't hunt, but I got plenty of friends that do on my property.

I love the meat as does the little lady.  One bud processes his own and gives me some.  He does what he calls a "snack stick".  Very similar to a "Slim Jim".  Tasty.  None of it is bad to me.  Julie is great at making meatloaf out of the burger.  Another dish she makes is what she calls "Poorman's Steak".  She will take venison cube steaks and put them into a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup.  

Venison and beef are pretty much exact substitutes. My dad had a crock pot recipe for venison tenderloin with vermouth and green onions.

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Venison and beef are pretty much exact substitutes. My dad had a crock pot recipe for venison tenderloin with vermouth and green onions.

In this state they absolutely are.  The only difference is the fat content.  Vermouth huh?  Interesting.  

23 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Living several years in Michigan a couple of specialties were smelt and morel mushrooms, especially the morels!

and no I never heard of anyone putting them together 

I love me some smelt....and I love me some morels.  I would absolutely put then together!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I love me some smelt....and I love me some morels.  I would absolutely put then together!!!!!!!!

Dang, this thread is messing with me as there are so many tasty treats out there in the world and living in rural Georgia the specialty is deep fried everything! At least they know how to do barbecue right!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 1

While I’m on the thought of tasting experiences, seems like the one that stands out the best for me was in Thailand! Visiting a vendor plant outside of Bangkok we went to an open air restaurant   with no walls and a thatched roof! I noticed that the table had several tissue boxes on it and thought that odd! As we were eating some exceptional food the locals started using the tissues to wipe the sweat off their foreheads, yes the food was hot! I loved it! The food was great, the atmosphere was great, and the experience was great, can’t hardly beat it!

11 hours ago, Drroogh said:

While I’m on the thought of tasting experiences, seems like the one that stands out the best for me was in Thailand! Visiting a vendor plant outside of Bangkok we went to an open air restaurant   with no walls and a thatched roof! I noticed that the table had several tissue boxes on it and thought that odd! As we were eating some exceptional food the locals started using the tissues to wipe the sweat off their foreheads, yes the food was hot! I loved it! The food was great, the atmosphere was great, and the experience was great, can’t hardly beat it!

Those Thai peppers are the bomb!

• Like 1

I have never had this, but have a manager whose family swears by it.

Every Thanksgiving, he buys about a dozen White Castles and his wife makes their stuffing from them. Several key ingredients are there--meat ( I think) bread, onions. She just adds celery and spices, puts it all in a food processor, and voila. There adult kids request it every year, and won't eat anything else.

The recipe is out there on the net, for those who want to give it a shot.

• Like 1