LB Coach Kane Wommack Named Defensive Coordinator

Big news.  Makes a lot of sense.  He’s a young coach, but he’s built up a good resume to rise this fast.  It looks like Wommack overlapped with Coach Allen at Ole Miss, and coached the husky position which is a hallmark of Allen’s scheme.  That shows you he understands the philosophy and schemes.  He has an added plus that he’s already been a small school coordinator so calling up the defensive plays won’t be brand new to him.  He has some other diverse experiences as he was even a qb coach for awhile.  I like the cross training and diverse experience. For example, you can attack a qb well if you can get in his head and think like one too.  Having been a qb coach in the past, that might help in this regard.  

It’s a pretty big job for such a young guy but overall, I like the background with Allen and his other experiences.  And Allen is around anyway to guide him.  I hope he’s a good recruiter and can relate to players well.  

I would also like to see Mike Hart move up to coordinator.  Debord could stay as a consultant.   I have a gut feeling that Hart is on a head coaching trajectory. 

Part 1 of my prediction has come true, but I was guessing Inge to LB coach. It says Wommack will still be LB coach, so it will be interesting to see if Inge stays with special teams or not.

I really like that Allen did this. He and Wommack have a very similar idea of what they want in a defense, so Allen can still have a big hand in it.

This will free up Allen to oversee other parts of the team that need help. I think it will calm him down on the sidelines too. As the DC, he'd get so fired up with big defensive plays, so hopefully without that responsibility he'll be a little calmer. I do like some of his emotion though, so hopefully he's not a stiff.

18 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
If you don't know anything about new IU defensive coordinator Kane Wommack, and/or wonder why Tom Allen would be comfortable handing over the reins -- you'll want to read this.

I enjoy that you were able to look back and change your mind once you found out some more about Wommack.

We have a lot of young talent on defense, so I can't wait to see what this staff can produce.  I'm going to call them AllKane for Allen and Kane.  For the non-science nerds, in chemistry, alkanes are things like methane, propane, butane, octane and the like.  I'm thinking we're going to have a high octane defense with AllKane at the helm.  Nerd mic drop.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I enjoy that you were able to look back and change your mind once you found out some more about Wommack.

We have a lot of young talent on defense, so I can't wait to see what this staff can produce.  I'm going to call them AllKane for Allen and Kane.  For the non-science nerds, in chemistry, alkanes are things like methane, propane, butane, octane and the like.  I'm thinking we're going to have a high octane defense with AllKane at the helm.  Nerd mic drop.

Ha ha.  Not a science guy but I like what you did there.  Earlier I was trying to think of a way to leverage off of "Raising Cain"

Archived