Eight Game B1G Gauntlet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Respectfully, I think you are underestimating how much of a bloodbath the B1G is gonna be this year. 

I’m not saying we’re gonna till by any means. But if we go 3-5 than we are probably going to be a middle of the pack BT team, make the tourney as a 6-8 seed, etc. if that’s what we are then most of us need to chill on what we think we are now. If we believe this team is a top 3 team in the BT, then we won’t go 3-5. 4-4 possibly. I’d expect that on the lower end. I’m just saying if we drop 5 out of 8 to start the conference it’s not that we stink but we aren’t a “good team.” We’re one of the teams in the middle of the Big. 

I don’t think we are. But we’ll see!

8 hours ago, BEKA said:

The thing that worries me is this team's tendency to start extremely slow, no matter who the opponent is. When B1G play starts, getting in an early hole, even against the likes of Illinois and Rutgers will be problematic. Gotta find a way to be ready to play from the tip. 

You raise a real concern of mine, as well. We've shown an ability to come back.  However, I wonder, as with you when our slow starts will come back to hurt us in the end.

A real need to get off to good starts, going forward. 

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The Illinois game is done, and the gauntlet is upon us. Curious if people still think we go over .500 during this stretch...

3-5 or 4-4 is the expectation.  I know we are trying to remain optimistic in the midst of injury after injury but this team is nowhere near gelled.  We have good, not great defense and below average offense without Rob.  I think this team will be much better in March than in January.  

Anything better than 4-4 and frankly the B1G can be called overrated. .  

16 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The Illinois game is done, and the gauntlet is upon us. Curious if people still think we go over .500 during this stretch...

I still expect 5-3, but I have always been overly optimistic of my teams.  I expect the Reds to make the playoffs next season as well.

43 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Nope.  Not without Rob.  We have won 3 close games against teams people expect to finish in the bottom third.  In fact, all 3 are currently winless.  Green has yet to show he can play big in a big game and we have virtually no bench right now.  I like this team but until Rob gets back I have a hard time seeing more than three wins in this stretch.

Here's the thing... We are REALLY good on defense and we have two players who can get points almost whenever they want. That's why we are winning close games, it isn't a fluke and it isn't likely to stop. 

I know we all want to force it through Romeo and Juwan every possession, but it isn't going to happen and frankly isn't a good starategy. We need others to feel involved because it does lead to more engaged defense and we need others to continue to improve.

We are utilizing Romeo and Juwan as little as possible and as much as necessary. 

This afternoon I was thinking about fans expectations when it comes to our basketball program.  We are discussing this 8 game stretch ad most think if we go 4-4 that would be great and I agree with that.  I think some fans see what we have on this team and say this is a realistic expectation.  I think the fans who are never happy with how the team is playing have expectations of what IU use to be and will always judge the program when it is at its best.  Back in the day you would never hear an IU fan say if we can just go 4-4 it would be a good outcome.  I remember people ripping Davis when he would say if we can when 3 out of the next 5 tat would be a good run.

So my question to you guys how do you view your expectation for IU.  Do you go year by year and see what we have on that specific team or do you judge it on what you think IU should be as a program.

1 minute ago, PoHoosier said:

Every game is winnable.

When younger and during the RMK years I thought we would / should win every game.

I agree. No team is unbeatable.

Every team in the B1G is going to go through a similar “gauntlet .” 

Every team is going to have an out of the blue stinker and every team is going to win games that will be a surprise.

We are not unique in having a series of tests. Take it one game at a time and try not to look to far ahead. As fans we look at the big picture. The team needs to focus on what is right in front of them, the next opponent, and block out the rest 

29 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

0-1, but an expected 0-1. Maryland game is winnable. 

I think one could make the argument that this Friday’s game is the most important of the year so far. It’s the kind of game we have to win to separate us from the middle of the pack and give us the chance of being in the top four. 

On 1/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, KoB2011 said:

Here's the thing... We are REALLY good on defense and we have two players who can get points almost whenever they want. That's why we are winning close games, it isn't a fluke and it isn't likely to stop. 

I know we all want to force it through Romeo and Juwan every possession, but it isn't going to happen and frankly isn't a good starategy. We need others to feel involved because it does lead to more engaged defense and we need others to continue to improve.

We are utilizing Romeo and Juwan as little as possible and as much as necessary. 

That's a great post. 

Archived