Eight Game B1G Gauntlet

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

NW and PSU suck too.  ISU and FW sucked last season.  I'm just telling you that Archie and our guys had better be prepared next Thursday.  This season is already a major loss for Underwood.  But he can salvage it if he beats IU and he knows that.

Underwood is trying to save his players right now. From what I've heard it wouldn't be a surprise if a midseason transfer happens. When I watch Northwestern and Penn St....they are far better than Illinois so I disagree on the suck comparison. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

NW and PSU suck too.  ISU and FW sucked last season.  I'm just telling you that Archie and our guys had better be prepared next Thursday.  This season is already a major loss for Underwood.  But he can salvage it if he beats IU and he knows that.

If we can't beat Illinois at home then everyone can just forget about the rest of the season. Season over. Illinois flat out sucks, I expect a 15-20 point win even if we sleep walk through it. Nobody to guard Morgan, Smith, Romeo, or even Davis for that matter. We will be in the bonus 8 minutes into both halves, the most undisciplined team I've watched all year.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing, that unless something untoward happens in practice, that Rob P. will be good to go for the Illinois game.  On the other hand McRobert's back is acting up on him again... and he may not be good to go against the Illini.  Hunter and Race.... still no goes.  Again, anything can change over time.  But that should bring HSN up to the minute concerning injuries. 

Thanks for the update. Having Rob back would be huge. With regard to McRoberts he was in the video on IU’s Instagram account and he was doing pretty heavy drills. As well as moving pretty quickly. Hopefully this is a sign that his back pain is easing up on him 

15 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think we lose at UM, which I think is the best team in conference, that is one seriously good team. Lose at MSU. Think we win at MD. We barely eeked out our home game against NWU, wouldn’t look past that road game. PU, who knows, we’re clearly the better team by a good distance, but it’s of course a rivalry game they have circled and will be hard fought, and it’s away.

I wouldn't be surprised if we beat UM or MSU. Figure we will get an upset win or two at some point. We will also lose one or two we shouldn't (Ark) when we gave an off night or have a key guy out. 

14 hours ago, SIHoosier26 said:

If we can't beat Illinois at home then everyone can just forget about the rest of the season. Season over. Illinois flat out sucks, I expect a 15-20 point win even if we sleep walk through it. Nobody to guard Morgan, Smith, Romeo, or even Davis for that matter. We will be in the bonus 8 minutes into both halves, the most undisciplined team I've watched all year.

Remember Cody Zeller's freshman year? We were 15-1, ranked #7 in the country and were flying high after wins against UK, Ohio State and Michigan. Then, along came Minnesota, 0-4 in the Big Ten. We'd knocked off #1 UK, #2 OSU and a ranked Michigan team. 0-4 Minnesota at home would be a piece of cake, right? We lost 77-74. I'm not trying to compare this Illinois team to that Minnesota team, just saying the season won't rest on the outcome of this game. Not to mention every time we've had fans predicting blowout wins, it always ends up being a one or two possession game.

22 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The stretch that will decide our season. Six road games against KenPom #s 4, 6, 19, 32, 45, and 114. Two home games against #s 4 and 14. Just an absolutely brutal schedule. Personally, I would be happy if we came away from this with a 4-4 mark. Curious to get everyone's thoughts on this stretch of the season as we kill time before the Illinois game...

image.png.aa6eef4758c733cd4054e019ef3aa848.png

I think 5-3. Win the home games, win at Purdue, Northwestern and Rutgers. 

21 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Call me a homer if you want.  I think IU is better than all but UM and MSU who are more equals.  Those 2 are 50/50 as away games in my opinion.  So I agree with Fundamentals that 6-2 is my expectation.  Of course that is predicated on RP being healthy.  It also requires our team functioning on all cylinders and keeping TO's < 10, FT >70%, 3pt Shooting ~35% for RL, and for finally having good starts to games and not beginning down 10 after 10min(Man I hope Santa was generous for this team this year!😊)

You might have read this somewhere before??? Homer!! ;)

I would be thrilled with 6-2 or better.

5-3 - Absolutely critical for higher seeding like Fouls mentioned.

Anything less : Meh 

I really think Michigan could get exposed by it's bench.  By that, I mean Coach B. has not really relied on them, unlike Archie who has been forced to go deep due to injury.  Coach B. consistently goes 7 deep.  The most minutes played by the any bench player is something like 5 minutes, and then it even drops more from there.  So, as long as his first seven stay healthy, and out of foul trouble as Michigan goes through conference play, they should be fine.  But what happens if the injury bug leaves IU, and hits Michigan next ? IU has sustained multiple guys missing in several games this year. But what happens if that occurs to Michigan ?

^^^.  While some have bemoaned the amount of injuries as a negative, IU has lost just two games.  I have been saying all along, some of our guys have gotten valuable game time experience because of it.  And we get two cracks at Michigan in the 8 game span.  Don't even have to wish ill on them.... just put a few of the seven that get the lions share of PT.... in foul trouble, and see what happens then. 

The thing that worries me is this team's tendency to start extremely slow, no matter who the opponent is. When B1G play starts, getting in an early hole, even against the likes of Illinois and Rutgers will be problematic. Gotta find a way to be ready to play from the tip. 

2 hours ago, Shooter said:

You guys are really optimistic. This stretch is brutal, 4-4 would be decent. If we go 6-2 we are probably winning the league considering we end with 6 out of 9 at home, and one of the three road games is Illinois.

I agree...way too much optimism/ homerism in several projections above. 4-4 is a realistic expectation and 3-5 while disappointing, would not be shocking to me.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I agree...way too much optimism/ homerism in several projections above. 4-4 is a realistic expectation and 3-5 while disappointing, would not be shocking to me.

Couldn't agree more, it is possible the hoosiers meet the lofty expectations  of some but not realistic. I think you may be closer. I hope I am wrong

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Of course we could go 3-5. And if we do...we do. But IF we do drop five of the next 8, our ranking right now is fools gold. If we go 3-5 we are an above average team and those close wins are looking more “lucky” than anything. 

I think this team is better than that. I think we have a grit and it’ll show. I think this team would be ticked off royally and deeply disappointed in themselves if they go 3-5 in this stretch. It would mean we are regressing and not continuing to improve.

Archie won’t let them regress in my opinion. Maybe that means I have a higher perception of Archie than I should. 😂 

58 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Of course we could go 3-5. And if we do...we do. But IF we do drop five of the next 8, our ranking right now is fools gold. If we go 3-5 we are an above average team and those close wins are looking more “lucky” than anything. 

I think this team is better than that. I think we have a grit and it’ll show. I think this team would be ticked off royally and deeply disappointed in themselves if they go 3-5 in this stretch. It would mean we are regressing and not continuing to improve.

Archie won’t let them regress in my opinion. Maybe that means I have a higher perception of Archie than I should. 😂 

Respectfully, I think you are underestimating how much of a bloodbath the B1G is gonna be this year. 

Archived