B1G Media: IU 9th

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

KenPom's early numbers mean very little, they're a work in progress taking last season into consideration. 

That said, this should be a good year to watch how the early prognostications measure up against the "intangibles" and experience that our Hoosiers bring to the floor. If we stay healthy and still finish 8th or 9th, that says something about how we, as fans, value our team against what neutral observers see early on. If we finish 5th or 6th or so, then it also says something about what early predictions mean, and how neutral observers tend to base their predictions on the prior season. What's the expression, past results do not necessarily guarantee future returns? 

Given that this is what all the pundits who are predicting us around 9th-10th are looking it; then I guess you can't blame them for projecting us lower than most of us think. In the end it will also test how well we fans know our team and think we know our team's intangibles. 

I really want to believe we'll be closer to 5th. I'm just hoping people don't freak out if we do finish 9th. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Given that this is what all the pundits who are predicting us around 9th-10th are looking it; then I guess you can't blame them for projecting us lower than most of us think. In the end it will also test how well we fans know our team and think we know our team's intangibles. 

I really want to believe we'll be closer to 5th. I'm just hoping people don't freak out if we do finish 9th. 

If 9th, this is Fouls: :panic::panic::panic::panic:O.o:$:o

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm freaking out when we DISCUSS a 9th place finish.  If it actually happened, you may as well have me committed. 

Where's the straight jacket emoji? Hahaha.

Fwiw, I think we'll end up higher than 9th, but I really don't have a good feel for whether we're a 5, 6, 7 or 8, and I wouldn't really be surprised by any of those results. I think our experience, especially with Collin returning (assuming he stays healthy), together with a defensive focus and the growth of guys like Green will make us a tougher-than-expected team and one with a chip on its shoulder after last season. But then, we did lose a ton of scoring and only having one returning double-digit scorer should be a major flag. So I'm uncertain, but hopeful.

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Where's the straight jacket emoji? Hahaha.

Fwiw, I think we'll end up higher than 9th, but I really don't have a good feel for whether we're a 5, 6, 7 or 8, and I wouldn't really be surprised by any of those results. I think our experience, especially with Collin returning (assuming he stays healthy), together with a defensive focus and the growth of guys like Green will make us a tougher-than-expected team and one with a chip on its shoulder after last season. But then, we did lose a ton of scoring and only having one returning double-digit scorer should be a major flag. So I'm uncertain, but hopeful.

Speaking of Colin.....again. (I'm not trying to crush) Archie was answering questions from a gaggle of reporters after his presser on media day and started talking about Colin. He basically said because he's the best decision maker on the team that he will try to run the offense through him, kind of using him like a point forward. I didn't expect to hear that and am really interested to see how this works.

An interesting aside....Archie also mentioned that having forwards with a positive assist/turnover ratio are really valuable and the most great teams seem to have them. I never thought about analyzing forwards with that stat. Out of curiosity I looked up UNC's stats from last year and sure enough Theo Pinson and Justin Jackson had great A/TO ratios. And then you think about Dillon Brooks, Josh Jackson, Nigel Hayes, etc.....he might be onto something. :coffee:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-all-351-college-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

Norlander from CBS has IU rated 75th overall, with 9 B1G teams ahead of us.

That would put us squarely in the NIT this year. 

I'll stick by my 18-11 prediction based on the idea that it is going to take some time for Archie's defensive principles to take hold.

Love this site!  Rarely post since I have no special insights.  I'm just a 45yr fan of IUFB and IUBB.   My frustration with CTC was TO's and NO DEFENSE!!! Now we have a new coach and his new system.  I believe he will get this group of young men to understand the importance of DEFENSE.  It's an attitude.  You can control it.  Some nights your shot just won't fall but you can still play defense.  If the other team doesn't score, your offense doesn't have to be so prolific.  Play smart, don't turn the ball over, and play defense is a winning strategy.  I believe CAM will get these players to buy in and execute.  We need to be patient while they learn.  When this happens, I do not believe an unrealistic expectation is to finish anywhere from 3-5 by the end of BIG 10 season if they play to their abilities!

Archived