DeBord Retiring

FKIM01

19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I just have to wonder..... (Coach Allen calling a meeting with Coach Debord)...  "Ok Coach, I want to thank you for your service here at IU, but.....I see us going in a different direction. I want to officially give you the opportunity to retire, because I'm going to be looking for a new OC."....

Our DC choice was not a lazy one IMO.  Coach had a guy that knows how to run his defense, which was first given to Allen from his dad.  If anything Allen should be 100% hands off now knowing exactly what he will get with someone that knows his scheme inside and out.

As for DeBord, happy to see him go.  He was ready to retire 2 years ago and Allen brought him in so this really isn’t a surprise.  Doesn’t mean he wasn’t pushed out but he was ready to retire soon.  Unlike the DC choice Allen needs to go find someone solid.  This cannot be an internal promotion IMO.  If IU wants to keep Hart throw money at him but the offense needs someone fresh that is a proven playcaller.

Great news, I am glad they let him retire versus firing him! Now on to his replacement! Allen needs to pick someone that suits him and his vision of what he wants to accomplish! Someone he can work with and hold accountable! People have thrown Cam Cameron name around! I think he would be a great OC. He was a terrible head coach. I don’t think he could work for Tom Allen. He would feel he is above that! Just my gut feeling. I like Matt Canada if he would come, or Hart if he’s ready. I just really need to trust coach Allen’s judgement on who he can get. Just don’t commit to any more then Three years in case you need to get rid of them! 

We probably can't compete salary wise with what it takes to get a big time OC these days but maybe it's just me. Why reinvent the wheel? Go to one of the top offenses in the country (start with top 10-15) as a base. Identify which QB coach is from a recruiting area we have had success (or would like success) and ask them? I find it hard to believe we couldn't find a young up and coming offensive mind from one of those schools. I mean just 5 years ago Dino Babers was at Eastern Illinois. 

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just hope with Debord leaving that hart would look to elsewhere since he was brought in by Debord.  If he is not the new OC I hope he does not leave and go elsewhere because he has been a good RB coach and he can recruit.

We have lost great running back coaches before and found others. I hope our hire isnt a first time OC. Like a Hart. Tom Allen's job might be on the line here, so I don't think it will be.

How can he retire, he wasn’t doing anything. The only coaches who performed lower than his performance the last two years have tombstones above them. Thank goodness and someone help him pack. At least open the window so it is easier to throw his s*** out of the office. Sorry guys, but the players I knew absolutely and sincerely hated this coach. This is a home run for the program and now that Allen has a DC maybe he can survive. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We probably can't compete salary wise with what it takes to get a big time OC these days but maybe it's just me. Why reinvent the wheel? Go to one of the top offenses in the country (start with top 10-15) as a base. Identify which QB coach is from a recruiting area we have had success (or would like success) and ask them? I find it hard to believe we couldn't find a young up and coming offensive mind from one of those schools. I mean just 5 years ago Dino Babers was at Eastern Illinois. 

Absolutely the process that should be followed. And I might not let Allen be part of it. It is time this big ten program upgraded like a big ten program.

32 minutes ago, Payday said:

How can he retire, he wasn’t doing anything. The only coaches who performed lower than his performance the last two years have tombstones above them. Thank goodness and someone help him pack. At least open the window so it is easier to throw his s*** out of the office. Sorry guys, but the players I knew absolutely and sincerely hated this coach. This is a home run for the program and now that Allen has a DC maybe he can survive. 

Don't you think you are being a little dramatic with this statement because we were 7th in the conference in total offense and 4th in passing.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Don't you think you are being a little dramatic with this statement because we were 7th in the conference in total offense and 4th in passing.

We were also 14th in the country in plays per game, but only the 77th most points per game.

We were 93rd in points per play

Our 4th quarter scoring was 84th in the country, but that was better than our 3rd quarter scoring which was better than only 8 teams and ranked 122nd. We couldn't adjust to anything.

We were 82nd in yards per play.

Our offense was the king of having inflated numbers due to pace. Almost all of our pace independent numbers are terrible for a power 5 team.

Without a doubt, the offense was a huge problem this year. Two obvious reasons: Ramsey couldn't throw downfield, and DeBord's play calling. What comes first, the chicken or the egg? I have no idea, but it's the job of whomever is in charge to figure that out. If Ramsey was hurt, which has been speculated, then he shouldn't be playing. If DeBord didn't trust Ramsey to throw it deep, then he shouldn't be playing. If DeBord just couldn't adjust within the game, then he's the main problem. But I think no matter what, it was time for a change. I honestly think this hire will make or break Allen's tenure at IU. 

51 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No, not in the least. You're the big proponent of the eye test, Scott. Our offense flunked the eye test and was held back a grade.

I don't disagree with you but when he said that only ones tat performed worse were dead.  I wanted a change at the OC but some make it out like we were the worst offense in the country.

2 hours ago, Payday said:

Been a long time since I posted.  This post is garbage and one with an agenda.  Good coaches wanted to coach for Coach D and it was evident that good QB's wanted to play for him.  The players I knew thought highly of this coach, and his reputation amongst the football circle was high.  

To keep posting this garabage because your son was benched by him is not right.

Was it time to retire?  Maybe.  There is a reason why the talent has been upgraded under his watch...and right now they are all underclassmen.

Here is to hoping for a new coordinator that can maximize the current talent and bring in more. 

BELEIVE IT OR NOT IU football is on the rise.  Ita always easy to second guess.  Even the million dollar coordinators get second guessed.

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Been a long time since I posted.  This post is garbage and one with an agenda.  Good coaches wanted to coach for Coach D and it was evident that good QB's wanted to play for him.  The players I knew thought highly of this coach, and his reputation amongst the football circle was high.  

To keep posting this garabage because your son was benched by him is not right.

Was it time to retire?  Maybe.  There is a reason why the talent has been upgraded under his watch...and right now they are all underclassmen.

Here is to hoping for a new coordinator that can maximize the current talent and bring in more. 

BELEIVE IT OR NOT IU football is on the rise.  Ita always easy to second guess.  Even the million dollar coordinators get second guessed.

Not sure why you decided to post, obviously poorly informed. Agenda? The guy is incompetent, was run out of Tennessee, should never have been hired by IU, cost IU several games due to poor play calling and lack of creativity, and you may be the only person who thinks he should be defended. My son was in fact benched, no doubt about it, because he refused to play DeBorings “play to not lose to bad” offense. Of course, son also took aver again and the team almost saved the season despite high school coaching. But hey, don’t let the fact get in your way. As far as garbage, I know of four athletes who either left early, left the program/transferred, just to get away from him. And no, I would never defend an OC who refused to learn the language he came into and called half the ‘17 Purdue game using the wrong language and players had to fix it at half. Arrogance and incompetence were a bad combination for him.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And yes IUScott, probably. But it is a down year overall for the big ten so you have to consider the standings with that. 

11 minutes ago, Payday said:

Not sure why you decided to post, obviously poorly informed. Agenda? The guy is incompetent, was run out of Tennessee, should never have been hired by IU, cost IU several games due to poor play calling and lack of creativity, and you may be the only person who thinks he should be defended. My son was in fact benched, no doubt about it, because he refused to play DeBorings “play to not lose to bad” offense. Of course, son also took aver again and the team almost saved the season despite high school coaching. But hey, don’t let the fact get in your way. As far as garbage, I know of four athletes who either left early, left the program/transferred, just to get away from him. And no, I would never defend an OC who refused to learn the language he came into and called half the ‘17 Purdue game using the wrong language and players had to fix it at half. Arrogance and incompetence were a bad combination for him.

And yes IUScott, probably. But it is a down year overall for the big ten so you have to consider the standings with that. 

You just sound like a bitter old man and why do you care about IU football since your son is no longer here.

Archived