New OC - Kalen DeBoer

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Dang the guy is 67-3 as a HC.......wow.

I saw that too.  Unbelievable.

I liked him when I first looked into him, and that hasn't changed any.  I think we got a really good up and coming coach.  Hopefully later tonight I'll have time to dig into some more info and numbers from his stops, but on the surface I think this is a great hire.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I saw that too.  Unbelievable.

I liked him when I first looked into him, and that hasn't changed any.  I think we got a really good up and coming coach.  Hopefully later tonight I'll have time to dig into some more info and numbers from his stops, but on the surface I think this is a great hire.

That is unreal. 3 titles in 5 years........67-3, that is mind boggling. 

I did see he played WR in college.

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The more I'm seeing, the more I'm loving this hire.  His offense gave up only 10 sacks in 2017, and only 12 sacks last year.

It looks as though the Bulldogs averaged 267 yards per game passing and a 155 yards per game rushing.  Balanced attack.  I likey.

I really like this hire. Here are some numbers from Fresno State's offense last season compared to the Hoosiers.

Fresno State

34.6 PPG (26th nationally)

421.5 YPG (46th nationally)

Red Zone Conversion Rate: .895% - 51/57 - 41 TD's/10 FG's (19th nationally)

3rd Down Conversion Rate: .446% (25th nationally)

Indiana

26.4 PPG (87th nationally)

415.2 YPG (51st nationally)

Red Zone Conversion Rate: .818% - 36/44 - 25 TD's/11 FG's (83rd nationally)

3rd Down Conversion Rate: .424% (39th nationally)

5 minutes ago, KDB said:

I really like this hire. Here are some numbers from Fresno State's offense last season compared to the Hoosiers.

Fresno State

34.6 PPG (26th nationally)

421.5 YPG (46th nationally)

Red Zone Conversion Rate: .895% - 51/57 - 41 TD's/10 FG's (19th nationally)

3rd Down Conversion Rate: .446% (25th nationally)

Indiana

26.4 PPG (87th nationally)

415.2 YPG (51st nationally)

Red Zone Conversion Rate: .818% - 36/44 - 25 TD's/11 FG's (83rd nationally)

3rd Down Conversion Rate: .424% (39th nationally)

I would add that the Bulldogs went 12-2 last year.  They had quite a few "blow out" wins.  Evidently they also had a defense.

Here are some numbers I ran from DeBoer's 2 seasons at Fresno State, the season before him, and our 2018 IU team.

I can't believe the turnaround Fresno State made during DeBoer's tenure.  They were one of the worst offenses in the country the year before he got there.  There were 128 teams, so they were literally worst in the country in some stats.

Here is the link to the S&P+ numbers.

Success rate is a measure of efficiency.  Efficiency is measured by 50% of yardage necessary on first down, 70% on second down, and 100% on third down.

IsoPPP is an explosiveness measurement.

image.thumb.png.b5871c4198033e7974263a58e3cceecf.png

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Looking forward to the red zone improvement and the longer passing game.

Our lack of red zone success was infuriating.  I just edited it to put it in red zone TD%.  Fresno State had a much better TD success rate than us.  Their red zone TD% was almost as good as our red zone TD + FG percent.

I'm so excited to see downfield passing again.  Penix and Tuttle seem to be a good fit for DeBoer's system.

I didn't realize where his $800,000 salary will rank him  I knew it was a decent raise from what DeBord was getting, it puts him as the 6th highest paid coordinator in the conference, and puts us ahead of everybody not coaching at OSU or Michigan.  That's based on last year's salaries.

I'm loving our commitment to football this offseason.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Does anyone know what personnel packages he likes?  Does he run three receivers, a TE, and a running back?  Does he like two TE’s?

Does it vary?   

I hope he’s aggressive.  

It will be interesting when he gets introduced.  

I haven't looked into it much, but I started watching their game against Hawaii this year, and their first play they took a shot on a deep pass.  Here's the video.  Second play was a completion to the TE.

Archived