New OC - Kalen DeBoer

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the first half of their Hawaii game, here are some of my thoughts on their offense.

• Definitely favor 2 TE sets.  Have 2 TE in most of the time
    • Likes having former WR become TE.  Their main TE is a converted WR, and another one they throw to in the red zone is a converted WR.  I'm guessing he likes having one faster and more athletic and one more for blocking and shorter routes.  Looks similar to how Iowa and Penn State use their athletic tight ends.
    • I really like the way the 2 TE sets could work for us.  With their athletic TE, they could do everything out of it.  Sometimes they were balanced, and sometimes they were unbalanced.  They could ground and pound and air it out from the same set.
  • Very balanced play calling.  They didn't just run the same run every time.  Sometimes up the middle, sometimes left, sometimes right.  Even with their first down runs, there was variety in them.  Hopefully no more 1st down runs up the middle every drive.
  • Everybody is involved.  They targeted all players.  WR, TE, RB.  They all got a look.  They were very TE and RB heavy in the pass game, but the announcers sounded like it was a wrinkle in the offense, and not something they do every game.  I would expect all players to get a fair look.
  • Most of the time they snap it with 10-15 seconds left on the play clock, but a few times they went with tempo and really threw Hawaii off.  It kind of came out of nowhere, and caught the defense off guard.  I remember reading or hearing somewhere that they liked to go up tempo when they got in the red zone.
  • They ran quite a few quicker plays that require the QB to get the ball to the receiver quickly, but they ran a few longer developing plays to let receivers get downfield.  It definitely looked like an offense that needs a QB with a good arm.  I can't see Ramsey running this offense to its full capabilities.  Even on the shorter passes, his ball doesn't get to the WR quick enough, and I don't think he can manage the downfield passing DeBoer wants.
  • Ran a few RPO plays.  I think Tuttle would be more than athletic enough to ran most of what I saw in the first half.  Penix might give a little more advantage in the run game, but it wasn't a heavy emphasis on the QB running.
  • Quite a bit of creativity with the play calling.  Maybe creativity isn't even the right word because they weren't necessarily plays I'd never seen before, but there was a good mix of normal, confident plays and plays that might only get called 3-4 times a season.  It seemed like they used plays to set up other plays too.  Run a WR screen one time, and the next time they fake it and slip the TE out for a wide open touchdown.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

At this point in the video, one of the announcers say the Ace formation with 2 TE is one of their favorites.

Much like what the Colts did this year....if you can find the right tight ends it's very hard to cover. Thanks for passing this information along. I'm in hoops mood but love getting a jump on what he's bringing. 

On 1/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, rico said:

So Sark at Bama gets to name his coaches for his side of the ball?

Sorry Rico, I’ve been out. You and I both know Bama is a different animal. Saban has been an excellent CEO. My guess would be, because his coordinators are picked off every year, that he is much more involved in their assistants because he knows they might well need to step up. 

On 1/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, OGIUAndy said:

So have you heard any rumors about who they are interested in?

Buddy, there has been talk here and there, but nothing that sounded solid. The supporters should be very excited that the process is ongoing and it wasn’t a thirty second fill (guess it was a two minute). As I said, Allen is a good guy, can’t coach at this level yet, but he is the type person you would want your kid around. If he brings in a good OC then the sky is the limit. This scenario the program is in is the best situation possible. In my opinion. We just need a good pick. 

17 minutes ago, Payday said:

Buddy, there has been talk here and there, but nothing that sounded solid. The supporters should be very excited that the process is ongoing and it wasn’t a thirty second fill. As I said, Allen is a good guy, can’t coach at this level yet, but he is the type person you would want your kid around. If he brings in a good OC then the sky is the limit. This scenario the program is in is the best situation possible. In my opinion. We just need a good pick. 

We have the pick. What do you think of DeBoer?

1 hour ago, Payday said:

Sorry Rico, I’ve been out. You and I both know Bama is a different animal. Saban has been an excellent CEO. My guess would be, because his coordinators are picked off every year, that he is much more involved in their assistants because he knows they might well need to step up. 

You must have really been out.  We hired an OC already.  Welcome back and look forward to hearing your thoughts on DeBoer.  Couldn't help myself with the meme lol.

Image result for we've landed on the moon

3 hours ago, Payday said:

Buddy, there has been talk here and there, but nothing that sounded solid. The supporters should be very excited that the process is ongoing and it wasn’t a thirty second fill. As I said, Allen is a good guy, can’t coach at this level yet, but he is the type person you would want your kid around. If he brings in a good OC then the sky is the limit. This scenario the program is in is the best situation possible. In my opinion. We just need a good pick. 

I don't know what to make of this, other than to laugh.  You follow IU?  Because it doesn't look like it.

10 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know what to make of this, other than to laugh.  You follow IU?  Because it doesn't look like it.

Come on. You get a good OC in there, Pen is good, the line is seasoned, we have a back, things are set up. But you and I both know that depth is what always kills potential of teams like this. So we would have to be very fortunate with injuries. Or, I spent too much time around my son’s IU optimism over the holidays.

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

You must have really been out.  We hired an OC already.  Welcome back and look forward to hearing your thoughts on DeBoer.  Couldn't help myself with the meme lol.

10 hours ago, rico said:

Sorry, completely tuned out of internet for the holidays. I just assumed we were still taking time. Richard didn’t say a word so I’m not real sure how exciting the hire was. And the two other fathers I visit with have been out also.

9 minutes ago, Payday said:

Come on. You get a good OC in there, Pen is good, the line is seasoned, we have a back, things are set up. But you and I both know that depth is what always kills potential of teams like this. So we would have to be very fortunate with injuries. Or, I spent too much time around my son’s IU optimism over the holidays.

That is the point, we hired an OC.  We also got a QB via transfer.

10 hours ago, rico said:

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Since the three of us appear to be the only one left on this string, I know nothing at all about this new guy. I kind of wish you hadn’t told me because what i just read doesn’t create any excitement, am i missing something? I have several experiences with guys that make this kind of jump, as a player and spectator, and they were tough. Damn I hope for those players sake that he is ready because it feels like a reach. But, one thing is certain, Allen extended his stay with the hire. Even if they fail to improve there is nobody on the staff you should feel comfortable with turning the program over to if you have to fire him. Glass should have set guidelines for this hire. Hell, maybe he is the hidden gem.

11 hours ago, rico said:

And no, during the holidays I tend to bail keeping up and Richard and I did not have a single conversation about football over the holidays. I had no idea they had gone ahead and hired. 

29 minutes ago, Payday said:

And no, during the holidays I tend to bail keeping up and Richard and I did not have a single conversation about football over the holidays. I had no idea they had gone ahead and hired. 

The OC wasn't hired over the holidays.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

The OC wasn't hired over the holidays.

I’m retired, my holidays start in October. And what capacity I have left has been spent worrying about my youngest son being recruited by local schools and trying not to jump off a building due to the last sixty or so days in the oil market.

1 hour ago, Payday said:

Since the three of us appear to be the only one left on this string, I know nothing at all about this new guy. I kind of wish you hadn’t told me because what i just read doesn’t create any excitement, am i missing something? I have several experiences with guys that make this kind of jump, as a player and spectator, and they were tough. Damn I hope for those players sake that he is ready because it feels like a reach. But, one thing is certain, Allen extended his stay with the hire. Even if they fail to improve there is nobody on the staff you should feel comfortable with turning the program over to if you have to fire him. Glass should have set guidelines for this hire. Hell, maybe he is the hidden gem.

What is it you don't like about him?

Crazy success as a HC at a low division, and he's shown improvement with each offense he's been a part of. There was some discussion from Miami fans about him in December, and they mostly seemed pretty excited about him at the time.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Crazy success as a HC at a low division, and he's shown improvement with each offense he's been a part of. There was some discussion from Miami fans about him in December, and they mostly seemed pretty excited about him at the time.

I don't care if you're coaching high school, naia, or division 1, 67-3 as a head coach speaks for itself.

His turnaround of Fresno State's offense is more dramatic than Allen's turnaround of our defense, and we all know how happy we were with the improvement on that side of the ball. 

This was a VERY good hire, and I think Allen's made all the right moves staff-wise in the offseason.

1 hour ago, Payday said:

I’m retired, my holidays start in October. And what capacity I have left has been spent worrying about my youngest son being recruited by local schools and trying not to jump off a building due to the last sixty or so days in the oil market.

Trading up and down on the USO ETF has been working.  It’s almost too easy. 

How good is your youngest son?  Is he about where Richard was at that age?

Like you guys, I’m intrigued by the two TE thing.   Luckily, we’ve been recruiting TE’s.  Hendershot is such an explosive athlete and he got some good run as a redshirt freshman. He could be featured in the passing game.  He had an interesting tweet to Debord. I guess he came in partying hard.  DeBord asked him if he wanted to be a first class partier or first class football player.  Hendershot said he appreciated the advice.  I have high hopes for him.  

Matt Bjornson is from my neck of the woods and he showed flashes as a true freshman.  

One guy to keep an eye on is Shaun Bonner from Georgia. He’s not the fastest guy ever but he’s huge.  I suspect he could be a pretty good blocking tight end with that frame.  And he’s been in the training program awhile.  Don’t be shocked if DeBoer takes to him quickly.

i don’t know what to make of TJ Ivey who I believe redshirted.  He’s got a good frame so I’m curious what weight he comes in at this fall.  He was fairly well regarded as a recruit.  

Gary Cooper has that H back feel but will be a true freshman. 

Weve got some options and I suspect we will go harder after TEs going forward if we are going to feature them more.  

54 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Trading up and down on the USO ETF has been working.  It’s almost too easy. 

How good is your youngest son?  Is he about where Richard was at that age?

Lol, I have been on the wrong side of USO too many times. But I will have them take another look at it. 

My youngest is heads and tails above where Richard was. But a lot of it is just ridiculous size. At 6’2” and 250 he has a definite advantage over most 8th graders. Fortunately he loves lifting so if he keeps working he should be in good shape.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I don't care if you're coaching high school, naia, or division 1, 67-3 as a head coach speaks for itself.

His turnaround of Fresno State's offense is more dramatic than Allen's turnaround of our defense, and we all know how happy we were with the improvement on that side of the ball. 

This was a VERY good hire, and I think Allen's made all the right moves staff-wise in the offseason.

Nothing not to like about him. Here is the concern, and it isn’t him. We have a head coach that can not afford to stub his toe this season. If I had my choice I would have paid big for a big name and if Allen has to be let go there would be a big name at the top. But I’m excited to see the guy work, he might be just what we need. As for Allen’s moves, these are moves that a seasoned coach would have made long ago but you are correct, they are the right moves. Let’s see how it goes. Since i had been skimming over anything that said Deborge, and this guy has a similar name, I wasn’t even reading anything that mentioned his name so I am way behind you guys.

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Like you guys, I’m intrigued by the two TE thing.   Luckily, we’ve been recruiting TE’s.  Hendershot is such an explosive athlete and he got some good run as a redshirt freshman. He could be featured in the passing game.  He had an interesting tweet to Debord. I guess he came in partying hard.  DeBord asked him if he wanted to be a first class partier or first class football player.  Hendershot said he appreciated the advice.  I have high hopes for him.  

Matt Bjornson is from my neck of the woods and he showed flashes as a true freshman.  

One guy to keep an eye on is Shaun Bonner from Georgia. He’s not the fastest guy ever but he’s huge.  I suspect he could be a pretty good blocking tight end with that frame.  And he’s been in the training program awhile.  Don’t be shocked if DeBoer takes to him quickly.

i don’t know what to make of TJ Ivey who I believe redshirted.  He’s got a good frame so I’m curious what weight he comes in at this fall.  He was fairly well regarded as a recruit.  

Gary Cooper has that H back feel but will be a true freshman. 

Weve got some options and I suspect we will go harder after TEs going forward if we are going to feature them more.  

If you want to make it to the pros in this day and age of college football, be a TE. They are under produced right now (like fullbacks) and the pros have to use them with big size to get to the corners outside, LBs are just to big and fast concentrated at the pro level. If a college program like IU comes in with a ball control offense using the TE they can cause a lot of issues for the smaller defenses that the college has moved towards in order to defend the spread no huddle type offenses. I hope this new guy puts IU in a huddle, quits running the legs of the starters when the backups fall off a bit, and we become a more traditional style offense. Slow the game down a little and get more steps out of the starters going north south instead of east west.

Archived