New OC - Kalen DeBoer

Just to keep things from possibly getting lost on the DeBord retiring thread, I thought I'd start a thread about who people would like to see as our new offensive coordinator.  Here are some options I was able to come up with.

• David Yost - Utah State OC - they have the 3rd best scoring offense behind Oklahoma and Alabama.  Makes $300,000 so we should be able to give him a decent raise from that.
  • Matt Canada
  • Kevin Wilson??? Had to lol.
  • Cam Cameron
  • Brian Wright - Toledo OC - 10th ranked scoring offense.  Makes under $200,000.  Was rumored as an option for WR coach at Michigan last year but took his name out of the running.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow...pretty impressive salaries among top ASSISTANT coaches in college football. The #1 highest paid assistant coach on this list below makes $2.5 mil.... IU is a long way off from competing with those school. You gotta spend money to get Ws!!!

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

The teams on list most likely pay players too.....

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You all are aiming way to high. Its IU football. They pay assit. coaches crap, hell they pay the head guy crap, thats why we have Allen. Start looking at QB coaches that Allen has been on a staff with. Or already on staff.

IU did give a raise to Ballou and Rhea. They basically doubled their salary because there was apparently a lot of interest in them from other college and NFL programs. Ballou is up to $400,000 and Rhea is up to $375,000 (salaries part way through this article). That puts Ballou in a tie for the 13th highest paid strength coach in the country with Auburn.

This move will be very telling. Are we willing to go out and pay close to a million dollars for a top assistant, or do we hire somebody cheap? I think (hope?) Glass is figuring out for football he needs to spend money to make money.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder if there are many head coaches in the FCS who have great offenses willing to become an OC at a power 5 conference team.

I think this is one of the easiest positions to make a big hire. There are all kinds of good offensive minds out there. There are probably 50 different names if be happy with, and I would think there's be some lower level head coaches willing to make the jump.

If we're willing to pay close to a million dollars a year, a lot of people would listen.

Just now, rico said:

This would be me.

I would kick the tires on Cam Cameron.  Lots of experience there.

Then I kick the tires on Canada.  Lots of experience there.

Then I consider Hart.

I love Hart as much as anybody, but I don't want him as OC right now. He's too much of an unknown. I'd love to hire a top OC who we know will probably jump in a year or two if he has success, and have Hart be his understudy. When that guy leaves, Hart takes over if we feel he's ready.

In the meantime, give Hart a new title and a raise to try to keep him here.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I love Hart as much as anybody, but I don't want him as OC right now. He's too much of an unknown. I'd love to hire a top OC who we know will probably jump in a year or two if he has success, and have Hart be his understudy. When that guy leaves, Hart takes over if we feel he's ready.

In the meantime, give Hart a new title and a raise to try to keep him here.

I am cool with that line of thinking.

Having looked into it a little more, I really want David Yost from Utah State. As I mentioned, they had the #3 scoring offense in the country this year. We could probably double his salary from the $300,000 he currently makes.

Previously he spent a season as the QB coach and passing game coordinator for Oregon. Before that he was WR coach at Washington State under Mike Leach.

Spent a lot of time with Missouri before that. Was QB coach, recruiting coordinator, and spent some time as offensive coordinator. Sent 3 QBs to the NFL in Brad Smith, Chase Daniel, and Blaine Gabbert. He was a big part of recruiting some major guys for Missouri.

In 2012 he resigned from Missouri and took a season off to spend time with his family. Seems to fit with what Allen wants to do on and off the field.

I have no idea if he'd listen, but I think he'd be a home run hire.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Having looked into it a little more, I really want David Yost from Utah State. As I mentioned, they had the #3 scoring offense in the country this year. We could probably double his salary from the $300,000 he currently makes.

Previously he spent a season as the QB coach and passing game coordinator for Oregon. Before that he was WR coach at Washington State under Mike Leach.

Spent a lot of time with Missouri before that. Was QB coach, recruiting coordinator, and spent some time as offensive coordinator. Sent 3 QBs to the NFL in Brad Smith, Chase Daniel, and Blaine Gabbert. He was a big part of recruiting some major guys for Missouri.

In 2012 he resigned from Missouri and took a season off to spend time with his family. Seems to fit with what Allen wants to do on and off the field.

I have no idea if he'd listen, but I think he'd be a home run hire.

When you mentioned where he has coached I assumed it was mainly a passing offense.  I looked up Utah St. offensive stats from this year and actually saw that they averaged more running than passing attempts and it was  pretty close to 50/50 which I really liked.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When you mentioned where he has coached I assumed it was mainly a passing offense.  I looked up Utah St. offensive stats from this year and actually saw that they averaged more running than passing attempts and it was  pretty close to 50/50 which I really liked.

Nevermind. I didn't see that he moved on to Texas Tech earlier in the offseason. There goes that idea!

Some people are throwing out Dan Werner's name as a possible candidate. Currently the QB coach at South Carolina, formerly offensive coordinator at Ole Miss while Allen was there. Spent a year at Alabama, quite a few years at Miami in the 90s.

He's been part of 4 national championships, 3 at Miami, and last year with Alabama. He's been nominated for the Broyles Award twice. Also was the main recruiter for Shea Patterson while at Ole Miss.

He made $500,000 last season, so we could easily match that and probably give him a raise. No idea if we're looking at him, but I think he'd be a really good hire.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:59 PM, Leathernecks said:

Just to keep things from possibly getting lost on the DeBord retiring thread, I thought I'd start a thread about who people would like to see as our new offensive coordinator.  Here are some options I was able to come up with.

• David Yost - Utah State OC - they have the 3rd best scoring offense behind Oklahoma and Alabama.  Makes $300,000 so we should be able to give him a decent raise from that.
  • Matt Canada
  • Kevin Wilson??? Had to lol.
  • Cam Cameron
  • Brian Wright - Toledo OC - 10th ranked scoring offense.  Makes under $200,000.  Was rumored as an option for WR coach at Michigan last year but took his name out of the running.

Cameron will not come. Fairly certain on that. The more someone thinks about Applewhite, the less exciting I think it would be. Other than that, we should avoid guys from small programs. But if we can get an independent OC this could really turn fast. Allen is a good guy, even if i don’t like his coaching, and he would be a very positive face to the program if he allows his staff to take care of football. Honestly, this OC hire is much more exciting and positive than any single player. 

Archived