New OC - Kalen DeBoer

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Would be interested in seeing those articles. He wasn’t criticized when Darnold was the quarterback. From my research, it hit the fan this past season with a freshman at the helm. I really think that Helton was under fire for a 5-7 record and threw Martin under the bus 

Here is one....

https://reignoftroy.com/2018/02/12/clancy-pendergast-tee-martin-receive-contract-extensions-usc-football/

It is close to the bottom.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Would be interested in seeing those articles. He wasn’t criticized when Darnold was the quarterback. From my research, it hit the fan this past season with a freshman at the helm. I really think that Helton was under fire for a 5-7 record and threw Martin under the bus 

Here is one....

https://reignoftroy.com/2018/02/12/clancy-pendergast-tee-martin-receive-contract-extensions-usc-football/

It is close to the bottom.

I would be fine with Canada. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he'd be a definite upgrade over DeBord.

The recruiting dead period goes thru January 10th, and with the AFCA conference getting over, I would guess we'll hear by the end of the week. Recruiting offensive guys would be tough without an OC, so I'm guessing we'll want to get that done soon.

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Heard on the radio at lunch that now that Georgia's OC moved on to Tennessee, Canada is one of the leading candidates for the Bulldogs.

Sucks for IU, but why would Canada choose a historically bad IU program over one of the top 5 -10 teams in the country?

Only reason I can think of is if he feels that gives him a better path to a head coaching gig, otherwise no idea why

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Heard on the radio at lunch that now that Georgia's OC moved on to Tennessee, Canada is one of the leading candidates for the Bulldogs.

Sucks for IU, but why would Canada choose a historically bad IU program over one of the top 5 -10 teams in the country?

I agree. I don't think he'll come back unless they back up the Brinks truck for him. Doesn't seem like a step up. My guess is IU will get a younger up and coming OC from a non power 5. 

3 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Here is the rumor I was told today.  I cannot confirm anybof it.  Canada has turned down IU.  I don’t know if he was formally offered but he has said no.  I was also told that NIU might just be looking at someone else for their job.

That agrees with the post I made as you were probably typing this. 

Somewhat disappointing but not unexpected. I am surprise that one of the stipulations would be who he can hire or not. That's going to be a tough sell to any established, successful OC. So my guess is the same as before, an OC from a smaller school. MAC guys always seem like solid hires. Or someone from a recruiting hotbed. Also, it was confirmed here

33 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Somewhat disappointing but not unexpected. I am surprise that one of the stipulations would be who he can hire or not. That's going to be a tough sell to any established, successful OC. So my guess is the same as before, an OC from a smaller school. MAC guys always seem like solid hires. Or someone from a recruiting hotbed. Also, it was confirmed here

"No Canada, for our home and and native land..."

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Don't know the exact details,  but I would think most potential OC's would love to have Hart and Heard. Both great coaches and recruiters. Obviously a new hire would want to craft the staff to their needs, but maybe it wasn't exactly, "we want you, but you have to retain our entire offensive staff."  

9 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Don't know the exact details,  but I would think most potential OC's would love to have Hart and Heard. Both great coaches and recruiters. Obviously a new hire would want to craft the staff to their needs, but maybe it wasn't exactly, "we want you, but you have to retain our entire offensive staff."  

I think he would of just left after a year anyways. Would be nice to have someone for a couple of years. 

On 1/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

No, quite the opposite. The OC position for IU has to be considered an entry level to the high profile big payday. Nobody is going to take the OC position with restrictions on their assistants. There is just too much at stake for the coach. I think if you are replacing your OC that you should concede something is wrong and if you want a quality coach you are going to have to trust your selection to make the right choices.

12 minutes ago, Payday said:

No, quite the opposite. The OC position for IU has to be considered an entry level to the high profile big payday. Nobody is going to take the OC position with restrictions on their assistants. There is just too much at stake for the coach. I think if you are replacing your OC that you should concede something is wrong and if you want a quality coach you are going to have to trust your selection to make the right choices.

So have you heard any rumors about who they are interested in?

32 minutes ago, Payday said:

So Sark at Bama gets to name his coaches for his side of the ball?

Archived