New OC - Kalen DeBoer

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

What is Mike Hart's offensive philosophy?

Really?

I am under the assumption that you don’t know either. So as a shot in the dark based on the running backs he has been able to coach, I am guessing a balanced offense with a running game to compliment a vertical passing game.

What’s your guess?

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Really?

I am under the assumption that you don’t know either. So as a shot in the dark based on the running backs he has been able to coach, I am guessing a balanced offense with a running game to compliment a vertical passing game.

What’s your guess?

That's my exact point. Why is everyone clamoring to make a complete unknown our offensive coordinator? Maybe we should turn to somebody proven instead?

14 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That's my exact point. Why is everyone clamoring to make a complete unknown our offensive coordinator? Maybe we should turn to somebody proven instead?

Who is clamoring?  You are anti-clamoring.  DeBord was "proven".  How in the Hell did that work out?

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

But he's a complete unknown to you. So why do you want him as OC? The great tutelage he got from DeBord?

Yes, he is also unknown to me. I'm not asking for him to be promoted to OC.

You have to remember what football program we’re talking about. IU is not going to attract a high level guy. What I do know, based on what I have seen on the field, is that Hart can develop running backs. He is a young guy who at least appears to have a good upside and is someone we should try to keep. Given that we haven’t announced a decent hiring after Debord left, what 3-4 weeks ago, why not put the carrot out there for Hart. Give him a chance. Can’t be any worse than Debord.

The NFL has become a “go fish” venture, with teams trying to find the next Sean McVay. What do we have to lose?

4 minutes ago, rico said:

And I see you as the only one that objects.

I wouldn't be a big fan of it either.  It's just too much of an unknown.  Could be great, but could be terrible.  I love what Hart has done as the RB coach, but who knows if that will translate into being a good OC.  I've heard some names I'd like a lot less than Hart though.

My perfect scenario would be to hire a good OC from outside the program and have them mentor Hart for 2 years.  Hopefully by that point we'll be playing well enough that the OC will move on to bigger and better things and we can promote Hart to OC.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I am glad we are not rushing to fill this spot with the first available candidate. That said I guess I thought for recruiting purposes we would have announced one by now. I wonder what the issue is! 

We might be forced not to rush....maybe we keep getting turned down. Guessing not too many top guys want to be number 130 or whatever paid assist. coach.

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

We might be forced not to rush....maybe we keep getting turned down. Guessing not too many top guys want to be number 130 or whatever paid assist. coach.

That is what is alarming.  We need to get someone ASAP.  The longer it goes, the more I see Hart.  But, they might be kicking some tires on guys that are under the radar?  Babe Laufenberg?  Trent Green?  Guys that played QB at the NFL level.  I dunno.

1 hour ago, rico said:

That is what is alarming.  We need to get someone ASAP.  The longer it goes, the more I see Hart.  But, they might be kicking some tires on guys that are under the radar?  Babe Laufenberg?  Trent Green?  Guys that played QB at the NFL level.  I dunno.

If they are indeed kicking the tires on under the radar type guys, I would hope it's guys with coaching experience. Pulling guys out of the announcer booth is a surefire way to get canned.  Allen needs experienced guys.  Although IU historically pays crap to coordinators, the talent is there to be successful. So it's not a sh*t job. The new guy also won't have to contend with a head coach who's offensive minded, so there shouldn't be any meddling. But Allen needs a strong OC, not someone who's never called plays or been on the sidelines before. If that's the way he goes, he'll be looking for an OC next year too, then probably looking for work the year after that. This must be a strong hire. The problem is we don't know if Allen has enough connections with offensive guys. I also don't think every new hire has to have some connection to IU. They just need to spend the money. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Allen did say he wants someone who's been in the position before, did he not? That would rule out Hart and 99% of the names here.

Archived