Romeo as a shooter

Will the horrendous 3pt shooting bring him back for another yr to hone that craft?  All I read it’s mechanical but does this staff currently have a member that can help correct this flaw?  If not, it’s a no brainer he will seek help at the next level but if they do I can see him coming back one more yr & be a top 3 pick in the 20 draft.  Curious what HSN thinks as I did not expect this horrible a shot for such an iconic in state legend.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

So what is the reasoning behind poor 3pt shooting if not a mechanical flaw?  Before you answer, most shots were uncontested.

Really?  Just because you miss shots doesn’t mean there are mechanical flaws.  If you can’t see that he has good form, I don’t know what to tell you.  Just look at what Klay Thompson was going through.  He’s a career 40+% 3 pt shooter and hasn’t been able to hit the broad side of the barn recently.  Plus Romeo isn’t a pure shooter.  He’s a scorer and is streaky shooting the ball.

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

Really?  Just because you miss shots doesn’t mean there are mechanical flaws.  If you can’t see that he has good form, I don’t know what to tell you.  Just look at what Klay Thompson was going through.  He’s a career 40+% 3 pt shooter and hasn’t been able to hit the broad side of the barn recently.  Plus Romeo isn’t a pure shooter.  He’s a scorer and is streaky shooting the ball.

Yes really, just read an article Romeo went from top 5 pick to possible out of the top ten & they referenced a mechanical flaw in his shot being the # 1 reason.  I don’t believe everything I read but all of HSN has to wonder what in Sams World is going on here.  A slasher, poor free throw shooter doesn’t scream 1st rd pick which is why I asked does another yr help make this legend into just that a legend?  I’m not far off based here so really think about this.

5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Me too, every highlight film showed great perimeter shooting so kind of confused here.

I don't know about the highlights, but I know this...Romeo finishes at the rim.  I posed my question because I don't know how many 3's he took in HS.  I suspect he didn't have to take many.  He has great form, just perhaps he just ain't use to taking a deep shot because he never had to?  

26 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know about the highlights, but I know this...Romeo finishes at the rim.  I posed my question because I don't know how many 3's he took in HS.  I suspect he didn't have to take many.  He has great form, just perhaps he just ain't use to taking a deep shot because he never had to?  

Is a finisher at the rim a top 10 pick?  Is just a finisher at the rim make this IU team a threat in the dance “if” we make it?  42% HS career shooter, why a 20% drop in college?  Not hating on Romeo just trying to get REAL expectations for this team going into conf play & post season hopes.

2 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Is a finisher at the rim a top 10 pick?  Is just a finisher at the rim make this IU team a threat in the dance “if” we make it?  42% HS career shooter, why a 20% drop in college?  Not hating on Romeo just trying to get REAL expectations for this team going into conf play & post season hopes.

I dunno.  I am not a NBA exec.  According to MaxPreps, Romeo shot a career 66% from 2 land.

11 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

There are opposing viewpoints as to what strength and conditioning does to your shot from deep.  Many say it does nothing while others say it makes you miss long.  Personally, when I bulked up ( many years ago), I could not help but brick the ball off the back of the rim for weeks.  If that's the case with him, I have to believe what strength he has added has effected his shot some.  We can also look at sample size, Romeo hasn't shot tons of threes.  I believe his percentage will now trend up as he works on it.

As a shooter myself, I completely agree with your assessment which has me SMH as to why have Romeo bulk up when YOU KNOW, he’s only a one yr rental?  Their only thoughts were get stronger to get to the rim in league play but by this philosophy makes him one dimensional.  Damn If you do, damn if you don’t but this kid needs an additional yr to make him special IMO.  Vonleah, Cody etc...

22 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

As a shooter myself, I completely agree with your assessment which has me SMH as to why have Romeo bulk up when YOU KNOW, he’s only a one yr rental?  Their only thoughts were get stronger to get to the rim in league play but by this philosophy makes him one dimensional.  Damn If you do, damn if you don’t but this kid needs an additional yr to make him special IMO.  Vonleah, Cody etc...

I said the same thing and was called everything but an idiot for suggesting such a crazy thing.  Yogi early in his career after summer strength & training was off the back iron a LOT early in his college career.  He figured it out and turned into a very good shooter from 3, but there sure looked to be an adjustment period for him to me.  Based on Romeo's percentage, I don't think it's unreasonable to think there's SOMETHING causing him to need an adjustment, but I'm sure there will soon be others telling us there's nothing to that theory.

So when every kid does the same strength program and one kid’s shooting goes down then it’s the strength program? So does that mean if one kid who’s shot improves mean it is also the strength program?

I suppose since the NBA looks to bulk up everyone also that means they’re paying millions for players to make themselves worse shooters? 

🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

So when every kid does the same strength program and one kid’s shooting goes down then it’s the strength program? So does that mean if one kid who’s shot improves mean it is also the strength program?

I suppose since the NBA looks to bulk up everyone also that means they’re paying millions for players to make themselves worse shooters? 

🤦‍♂️

Honestly don't think it's this simple. Guys develop in different ways, and there are tons of examples of guys whose shot got worse after bulking up and then returned to form as they adjusted, just as there are plenty of examples of guys who were not significantly affected by getting stronger -- it's also a question of how much an individual player bulks up, what his frame / weight was like going in, etc. 

Simple point for me is Romeo's form is good. It is. This is not a kid who can't shoot, and in a kind of DeRozan kind of way he shoots well from mid-range. What I think scouts see is a dynamic scorer who is fantastic going downhill, smooth and a deceptively strong scorer in a Tracy McGrady or Grant Hill kind of way, and a guy who clearly has good form and can develop his outside game. Anyone who thinks he's not a lottery pick is either completely misinterpreting his value or doesn't understand how the NBA drafts. He's a lottery pick, with tremendous upside.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. There’s obviously no study or anything concrete that shows that lifting weights throws your shot off. Neither is there anything that states lifting “stunts your growth” neither is there anything that states it causes you to lose flexibility or speed, etc. these are all ideas that are floated around and are slowly fading away. In fact it’s been awhile since I’ve even heard this anymore. I thought it was largely gone. 

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. There’s obviously no study or anything concrete that shows that lifting weights throws your shot off. Neither is there anything that states lifting “stunts your growth” neither is there anything that states it causes you to lose flexibility or speed, etc. these are all ideas that are floated around and are slowly fading away. In fact it’s been awhile since I’ve even heard this anymore. I thought it was largely gone. 

...and I disagree with this. Look at Romeo's percentage from distance last year vs. this year and tell me what happened.

35 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

When I was in 9th grade we lifted weights and it effected my shot because I never lifted before

I'm not suggesting that it's bad to lift or that you never adjust to lifting. What I do believe is that at least some shooters go through an adjustment phase when their lifting program changes substantially. Certainly the wrap on his hand could be contributing as well. We don't know for certain but I don't think we can absolutely rule out a period of adjustment as Romeo gets a lot stronger in IU's strength and fitness program. 

Archived