Improved recruiting

Leathernecks

I know a lot of people are calling this our best recruiting class since they started doing rankings.  It seems like before this class, a lot of people thought 2013 might have been our best, or one of our best, so I did a comparison between the two classes.  I know rankings don't translate perfectly to success on the field, but they are a good guide.  Give me a team of 85 guys ranked 500 overall playing a team of 85 guys ranked 1000 overall, and the guys ranked 500 would win more often than not.

One thing that stood out to me is the Power 5 offers.  I knew our depth in this class was way better than 2013, but that really shows on this as all of our guys except David Ellis have at least 2 Power 5 offers.  We hit on a couple low ranked guys in 2013, but there were a lot of low ranked guys who never contributed.  Our low ranked guys in this class would be in the middle of our 2013 class.

Enjoy, and feel free to comment or let me know if you'd like to see other things added or have them compared to another class.  All the rankings came from 247's composite rankings and what they list for offers.  I left JUCO transfers off the position ranks and offer list because they only showed the offers they got out of JUCO which is really hit or miss.

image.thumb.png.7fbebf1320e3e5e7cb500abe6012c65d.pngimage.png.978fe9926b3620f38d31374cee805f98.png

Excellent work.  The 2019 class is better at the top and deeper at the same time.  After the top 7-8 of 2013, that class fell off.  Meanwhile this 2019 class has stronger prospects all the way down the list.  And some of our lower ranked guys now would have been more like medium recuits in 2013.  

We were excited about 2013 at time time but we had some notable flops at the top.  

David Ellis, as you pointed out, has a weird deal with his offers.  He’s rated nicely but didn’t get the top offers for some odd reason. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

David Ellis, as you pointed out, has a weird deal with his offers.  He’s rated nicely but didn’t get the top offers for some odd reason. 

From this article, he went from committed to Central Michigan to committed to us, so it might have just been that he was always committed to someone so he didn't pile up the officers that some people did.

It sounded like he was starting to get a lot more interest from some bigger schools when he committed to us, so I think he would have had a few offers if he stayed uncommitted for longer.

Archived