Illinois Postgame Thread

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Start Durham at PG, when Romeo and Green are on the court together without Durham, I'd split the point guard duties between Romeo and Green with Romeo handling point guard duties in half court sets and Green handling the point more after opposing teams score or out of bounds plays from the opposing side.  Romeo looked really comfortable in half court sets with the ball, looked a little hesitant when bringing the ball up full court

Anderson didn't look too bad in the limited minutes.  Curious if he continues to get a few minutes in small spurts to give some rest to Durham/Romeo/Green due to high minutes and foul trouble(when this occurs).   

I don't know, one thing that is clear to me through the first half of the season is that while improved in a lot of areas and having a good season, Al Durham at least right now is not a point guard. 

With Phinisee out, against no pressure I would have Langford initiate the offense like we did in the second half, and against a press (assuming it's man and not zone pressure) I would actually have Morgan bring the ball up, so you then have a big from the other team uncomfortable in that position and Morgan can blow by him, and then he can either initiate things or get it across and then into Langford's hands. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Good thing is we're 3-0. Bad thing is tougher games are ahead. Once again, last night's game proved that defense is our bread and butter. We're still offensively challenged, and hopefully guys will feel more comfortable playing with one another soon enough. I liked that freethrows improved, and Justin played really hard and seemed to slowly find his niche. 

Well said, sir!

Green's D is very good. Offensively, I think Green could be really good off the ball.  I know that his shooting the last 2 games has been bad but I wonder if his shooting goes awry becuase mentally he may be thinking to much as a PG how to get others involved. This leads to crazy passes and drives to the lane.  I'd play him off the ball and either he shoots a 3 or attacks the basket if an open lane exists. If neither an open shot or an open path to the basket, give it up. 

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

Green's D is very good. Offensively, I think Green could be really good off the ball.  I know that his shooting the last 2 games has been bad but I wonder if his shooting goes awry becuase mentally he may be thinking to much as a PG how to get others involved. This leads to crazy passes and drives to the lane.  I'd play him off the ball and either he shoots a 3 or attacks the basket if an open lane exists. If neither an open shot or an open path to the basket, give it up. 

Ding ding ding ding. 

Green is playing out of position.  Not an excuse for dumb moves on O. But, I think it is a reason why he is trying to do too much.  If he is continuing to have to play out of position, my suggestion to him.... if I were his coach.... would be to let the game come to him.... rather that trying to force things. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Speaking of free throw shooting. How many of you noticed that Juwan has adjusted his stance at the free throw line ?  Standing kind of side ways, with one foot pointed forward. He seemed more confident, and it seemed to work for him.

Yes, and it has definitely helped him.

56 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Speaking of free throw shooting. How many of you noticed that Juwan has adjusted his stance at the free throw line ?  Standing kind of side ways, with one foot pointed forward. He seemed more confident, and it seemed to work for him.

Yes, he did. At first I thought it may be a different camera angle that FS1 was using along with their new approach of not showing if free throws actually go in 😊

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I saw that and it took me back to a former coach telling me at practice that I had to line my feet up to the target mine were angled like JM were last night. Coach asked if when i go to pee do i line my feet up toward the toilet or sideways. I never forgot it, over 35 years ago.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hi Mile.  I did notice, and cringed.  While it may work for him, it should be noted the best, most reliable stance is off-hand foot slightly behind power foot (like a 1/3 the length of foot), and feet shoulder width apart, square shoulders to the rim, and shooting shoulder lined up with the center of the rim.  Or as fans of Alford used to say, “socks, shorts, 1-2-3, swish.”  

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I think the biggest thing is that he actually took a dribble to get into rhythm.

It was interesting to watch.  I am usually "tense" in close games, but watching the second half, only being up about, I was very comfortable.  And it had to do with the fact that this team plays DEFENSE.  It wasn't till the game got to 6 towards the end that I got "excited" again. Watching our teams in the past, games could swing from plus 10 to minus in a heart beat.

I though the refs called some touch stuff, then let the game get physical. Did anyone see Morgan get nearly dragged down by the front of his jersey in the lane, Romeo get leveled on an in bounds play?  And I liked Morgan's early dunk that wasn't a dunk.  The ball bounced up and came back through the basket as it was still vibrating from the force as Morgan got hammered.

Sunday will be very interesting. Michigan struggled last night against against Penn State, finally pulling away at the end to win by 13 at home.  

4 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

DG, Stop trying the circus shots.

Stop trying the circus shots.

Stop trying the circus shots.

if he eliminated those 3 to 5 or whatever at the hoop, I would be happy.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, milehiiu said:

He must have reverted back to bad stance and flipping it at the rim.  At least in the first half, when most of the board questioned if he was awake.  

Both feet pointed towards the corner, one dribble, flipped it up from the waist, no follow through, clearly no concentration.  Got me thinking.  You can practice using that routine all day long after practice when you aren't gasping for breath and non chalantly hit that.  In a game, take a big breath,  relax, look at the target lol.  

Archived