Kyler Murray

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

Didn't know where to put this so I just started a new thread.  Pretty interesting article here on his future...

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/02/could-rigors-of-minor-leagues-influence-kyler-murrays-decision-to-pursue-baseball-career/

Will be very, very interesting to follow. If it's $ he wants he should go NFL. Could be 5-6 years before big payday in MLB where as in NFL he's worth $25M next April. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Will be very, very interesting to follow. If it's $ he wants he should go NFL. Could be 5-6 years before big payday in MLB where as in NFL he's worth $25M next April. 

I wonder if he will he take the Bo Jackson route?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Would be very, very difficult. 2 reasons. First Bo Jackson/Deion Sanders types only come along 1-2x every 20 years. Second...to be just a good nfl qb it requires year long work. Don't see a team investing a first pick and all that guaranteed $ without guarantees he isn't playing baseball.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Would be very, very difficult. 2 reasons. First Bo Jackson/Deion Sanders types only come along 1-2x every 20 years. Second...to be just a good nfl qb it requires year long work. Don't see a team investing a first pick and all that guaranteed $ without guarantees he isn't playing baseball.

Not really what I was saying.  Bo was the overall #1 pick by the Buccaneers(there is another story there) but chose not to sign.  In the NFL you control a players rights until the next draft.  So Bo got drafted again the following year by the Raiders and they worked out a contract with him so as to he could continue to play baseball.  

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, rico said:

Still remember the reason I became a non IU football fan, when I was watching the coaches show and Corso talked about how Quinn Buckner needed to quit basketball and focus on football. 😣

On 1/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, Drroogh said:

Still remember the reason I became a non IU football fan, when I was watching the coaches show and Corso talked about how Quinn Buckner needed to quit basketball and focus on football. 😣

Well Buckner was a stud football player as well.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Marcus was one fast SOB......didn't get to watch him much as he was on the left coast.  Dual threat QB.  It is a good comp.  

I was high on Mariota coming out of college, still think he can be a good QB with the right play caller.  I think him having Henry, Delanie Walker and Cory Davis is a nice formable duo.  They need another WR and I think that would really help Mariota. 

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I was high on Mariota coming out of college, still think he can be a good QB with the right play caller.  I think him having Henry, Delanie Walker and Cory Davis is a nice formable duo.  They need another WR and I think that would really help Mariota. 

That is all good and well, but this a Kyler Murray thread.  Not to talk Titan football.  Post it in the NFL thread.

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

so then........ Kyler Murray play in the NFL rather than MLB

This what we got.....Kyler has already received his signing bonus from the Oakland A's.  I think it is around 4.5 million.  Some rule allowed him to play another year of CFB.  But he is ineligible to play CBB this year.  His career is over at OU for both sports.  Soooo, if he enters the NFL draft and is a high draft pick and decides to play football only.  Then he has to return the money to the A's.  That is why I brought up Bo Jackson, very similar circumstances.  He would be better going to the NFL getting bigger money.  But I am a greedy SOB.

1 hour ago, rico said:

This what we got.....Kyler has already received his signing bonus from the Oakland A's.  I think it is around 4.5 million.  Some rule allowed him to play another year of CFB.  But he is ineligible to play CBB this year.  His career is over at OU for both sports.  Soooo, if he enters the NFL draft and is a high draft pick and decides to play football only.  Then he has to return the money to the A's.  That is why I brought up Bo Jackson, very similar circumstances.  He would be better going to the NFL getting bigger money.  But I am a greedy SOB.

NFL isn't bigger money. It's quicker money and surprisingly it's more guaranteed than what baseball offers. 

Just now, rico said:

Exactly.  And then you got the whole minor league thing.

That's why it's quicker money. But start MLB players make more money. It's a tough decision. 

More money, safer sport, but chance the signing bonus is the most he ever seems vs less money, dangerous sport, bigger signing bonus and more likely to see a second contract. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't think I can remember MLB getting involved to this level to get a kid. A's knew there were risks when drafting him. They took a chance and the chance isn't paying off. 

IIRC, Wily Mo Pena had some weird contract when he signed with the Yankees that is along those lines.  Big difference though, Wily Mo wasn't a two sport star...just a baseball player.  He was viewed as a "can't miss" but he did.

The only things that I can think of for Oakland to do this is (1) They view Murray as a "can't miss".  And (2) they are absolutely concerned about him going the NFL route.

Sooooo, if I am Kyler I go to the NFL combine to see where my stock is.  He may turn heads, he may not.  

30 minutes ago, rico said:

IIRC, Wily Mo Pena had some weird contract when he signed with the Yankees that is along those lines.  Big difference though, Wily Mo wasn't a two sport star...just a baseball player.  He was viewed as a "can't miss" but he did.

The only things that I can think of for Oakland to do this is (1) They view Murray as a "can't miss".  And (2) they are absolutely concerned about him going the NFL route.

Sooooo, if I am Kyler I go to the NFL combine to see where my stock is.  He may turn heads, he may not.  

Right now Kyler's best marketing weapon just finished his first year as Cleveland's qb. Baker has made Murray Millions!

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Right now Kyler's best marketing weapon just finished his first year as Cleveland's qb. Baker has made Murray Millions!

True, I have seen rumors out there that say the Jags are interested in him with the 7th pick.  Who knows.

Archived