Michigan Pregame Thread

When: Sunday, 1/6 at 4:30pm ET on CBS (be rooting for the Chargers/Ravens game to get over on time)

Vegas: TBD

ESPN: #11 Michigan and #27 IU in BPI. 22% chance of IU victory with an expected margin of victory of Michigan by 8

KenPom: #5 Michigan and #28 IU. 22% chance of IU victory with a predicted final score of Michigan 70, IU 62.

IU Scouting Report

image.png.b95c190101ce2419ccb67d214a837846.png

Michigan Scouting Report

image.png.3c46234039641d74446f142ea4d5b560.png

Michigan has the advantage on offense and defense by the numbers. We have a big advantage shooting from 2P range, they have a slight advantage from 3P range. Neither team does very well on the offensive glass, and neither team shoots free throws well. Michigan's big advantage on offense is the fact that they don't turn the ball over (7th in the nation) while we are 244th.

Defensively, Michigan allows a lower shooting percentage, handling opponents from 2P range better than we do. They do a much better job of keeping their opponent off the offensive glass. We actually turn teams over more than they do, but not by a considerable margin.

Michigan is led by B1G Freshman of the Year favorite Ignas Brazdeikis. He is averaging 16 ppg and shooting 42% from 3. They have two other sharpshooters as well, with Jordan Poole and Isaiah Livers both shooting above 45% from 3. Charles Matthews is their other main cog, averaging 14 ppg.

This could easily turn into a game where Brazdeikis, Poole and Livers just bomb away from three and run us out of the building. Our close outs on their shooters will have to be on point.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing what we know now, does anyone wish that we had pursued a 5th year guard as our transfer instead of Fitzner?  I am really disappointed in what he has brought this year outside of the first few games and I really think the main thing holding us up is our PG play being so erratic.

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Knowing what we know now, does anyone wish that we had pursued a 5th year guard as our transfer instead of Fitzner?  I am really disappointed in what he has brought this year outside of the first few games and I really think the main thing holding us up is our PG play being so erratic.

There is a reason he did not start for St. Mary's.  I think a lot of people ignored that when they visioned what he would do for us.  People expected Bielfeldt, but he was the exception not the rule.

Will be very interesting to see who initiates the offense at the start of this game. Will we stick with Langford initiating and Green off the ball, or go back to the traditional style with DG on ball to start? I would expect Michigan to pressure a bit out of the gate to try and jump out early. 

I'm trying to remember what Northwestern did to Michigan to make their game so close. I expect IU to go with traditional start with DG at point but if things are stagnant I don't think Archie will wait until halftime to give Romeo the ball and do what he does. Can't afford to spot teams like Michigan 10 early because if that happens we could be in for some trouble. 

Not sure how to do this one. At home with my remote going back and forth between IU and Bears game....or head to bar and see both at same time. Some really tough decisions going on right now. Haha.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is a reason he did not start for St. Mary's.  I think a lot of people ignored that when they visioned what he would do for us.  People expected Bielfeldt, but he was the exception not the rule.

I did not expect Bielfeldt but I did expect someone who could at least earn backup minutes...particularly as a 3 point shooter on a team that really struggles behind the arc.

If we were getting anything close to 6 pts and 3 boards out of him, I would be happy.  To me, he has been one of the biggest missing components.  We throttled Marquette when he was on but almost ever since then it has been a struggle bus for him.

To me you bring the 5th year guys as a one year stop gap to allow time for your long term solutions to develop.  We brought Fitz because we were unsure about Davis.  I think we also expected Hunter to he available.  Hindsight being 20/20, I would completely trade for a 5th year mid major PG whose role was to hit a 3 or 2 a game and just be solid with the ball.

MI stats- https://mgoblue.com/documents/2018/11/12/bkm_stats_2018_19.pdf

I think Green can be disruptive to Simpson who is their main facilitator. 

I'd like to see Romeo handle the ball more. 

I'd also like to us to break out a big lineup- 

Green on Simpson

Romeo on Poole

Justin on Braz

Morgan on Matthews

Davis on Teske. 

They only have 7 guys that see major minutes. Bring Al, Zach and Moore off the bench. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure how to do this one. At home with my remote going back and forth between IU and Bears game....or head to bar and see both at same time. Some really tough decisions going on right now. Haha.

I'm in the same predicament. Figure I'll switch to Bears during commercials. Ideally, Bears halftime should occur during the last ten minutes of the IU game. After IU, can watch most of the second half of the Bear game uninterrupted. I'll miss some of the first half but figure that's my best option. 

We're going to find if we're a good team that has simply been playing down to its competition or are we simply just not as good as many thought.  If this is another Duke result we're probably just not that good.  I expect us to keep it competitive for most of the game and then UM pulls away at the end and wins by 7-10.

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We're going to find if we're a good team that has simply been playing down to its competition or are we simply just not as good as many thought.  If this is another Duke result we're probably just not that good.  I expect us to keep it competitive for most of the game and then UM pulls away at the end and wins by 7-10.

My thoughts as well. I'm hoping it doesn't turn in to another Duke fiasco.

A loss of 10 or less, I can live with that......

Your big guns (thats for you Cannon :D) have to step up in the big games. Teske will be tough for Morgan down low but Morgan can bring him outside. If Teske has to guard Davis, I think Morgan and Davis can do a lot of damage inside together.  MI will obviously be focusing on stopping  / slowing Romeo and they have a capable defense so it will be a good test for him.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Will be very interesting to see who initiates the offense at the start of this game. Will we stick with Langford initiating and Green off the ball, or go back to the traditional style with DG on ball to start? I would expect Michigan to pressure a bit out of the gate to try and jump out early. 

Actually, after the first 5-6 minutes of the second half against Illinois, we got away from Romeo  initiating.  i do not understand why.  I was yelling at my 14 year old when it was happening, not that he could do anything about it.   Romeo could have went off for 40 if we had stayed with it. 

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I will say if we want a chance to win we will probably have to do something the entire game we have struggled with all season imo. And that’s consistently feed Juwan and Romeo. 

In the '87 championship game, we had 4 guys score.  Only 4.  We need that type of centralized offensive focus to beat Michigan on Sunday.  

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We thought we'd have Hunter. 

Archived