Michigan Pregame Thread

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here is what the newspaper in Ignas' home town in Lithuania has to say about the game.

Ignas Brazdeikis ir Mičigano Wolverines bus žaisti Indiana Hoosiers sekmadienį Ann Arbor. Ignas ir jo komandos gyvena labai baimės Hoosiers, kurie vadovavo Romeo Langford ir Juwan Morgan. Fizinis žaidimas turėtų būti tikimasi. "Turime suteikti jiems concussions jei mes tikimės laimėti :, Ignas yra cituojamas kaip sakydamas.

Here is the translation, as best I can determine.

Ignas Brazdeikis and the Michigan Wolverines will be playing the Indiana Hoosiers on Sunday in Ann Arbor.  Ignas and his teammates live in great fear of the Hoosiers, who are led by Romeo Langford and Juwan Morgan. A physical game should be expected. "We must give them concussions if we expect to win:, Ignas is quoted as saying. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

Smith has a whole FIVE attempts on the season, compared to Romeo's 51.  That's not even a comparison.

You missed the point then.  If a kid has hit two of five 3-pointers, do you not want him to shoot any more of them?  Romeo has missed 40.  Should he stop shooting them?

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here is what the newspaper in Ignas' home town in Lithuania has to say about the game.

Ignas Brazdeikis ir Mičigano Wolverines bus žaisti Indiana Hoosiers sekmadienį Ann Arbor. Ignas ir jo komandos gyvena labai baimės Hoosiers, kurie vadovavo Romeo Langford ir Juwan Morgan. Fizinis žaidimas turėtų būti tikimasi. "Turime suteikti jiems concussions jei mes tikimės laimėti :, Ignas yra cituojamas kaip sakydamas.

Them's fightin' words.

If we can keep Morgan out of foul trouble, I believe this will be a close game.  Except for Duke, we have played better against tougher competition than lesser competition.  Even Penn State kept the game yesterday relatively close.  If the defense plays like it did yesterday, then Michigan will not be able to just bomb away from the outside like the last few times we lost there.  IU should take advantage of breaks, but otherwise, use some clock and keep the score somewhat down.

2 minutes ago, IUguy said:

If we can keep Morgan out of foul trouble, I believe this will be a close game.  Except for Duke, we have played better against tougher competition than lesser competition.  Even Penn State kept the game yesterday relatively close.  If the defense plays like it did yesterday, then Michigan will not be able to just bomb away from the outside like the last few times we lost there.  IU should take advantage of breaks, but otherwise, use some clock and keep the score somewhat down.

Agree about Morgan, and foul trouble. However, though some complain about our slow starts, I would like to bring to every one's attention that Juwan, has played it carefully at the start of most of the recent games, in order not to get into early foul trouble.  And it has worked for him.  I'll trade slow starts by Juwan in order to avoid early foul trouble with strong finishes that leave Morgan on the hardwood to finish games.

I am guessing it was probably about 1997?  But IU rolled into Ann Arbor to face a dang fine Wolverine team that had Maceo Baston, Tractor Traylor, and a guy named Bullock.  I am pretty sure that IU was down about 20 at the half.  And the Wolves expanded on that to start the 2nd.  20+.  Then pure magic happened, the Hoosiers caught fire and Michigan froze like an ice cube.  The game went into OT, and we won.  I might have the year wrong but I remember that happening.  I started out sipping beer, then pounding beers because we were getting our butts kicked, and then pounding beers in excitement.  Late Sunday afternoon game.....I called in sick the next morning!

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You missed the point then.  If a kid has hit two of five 3-pointers, do you not want him to shoot any more of them?  Romeo has missed 40.  Should he stop shooting them?

I'd be fine with Smith shooting wide open threes about ounce every 3rd game.  Other than that get down low and try to dunk basketballs.  

If Romeo is going to shoot the attempts he made last night in the first half against 2 defenders,  no rythem, not squared up, then no.  But he has to take some, I just wasn't impressed with the selection on the first 2 last night.  

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If he was a freshman, yes, but we have history on JS.  If you combine last year’s numbers (3/10) and this year (2/5), he’s shooting 33% for his career.  There’s a reason he’s not shooting more, and it’s not because lack of playing time.  Right now, JS is not a good jump shooter, hence his reluctance to shoot it.  Romeo is a better shooter than JS at this moment, so even if he was shooting 15% from deep, I would still prefer him to shoot over JS.

Just now, StLHoosier said:

If he was a freshman, yes, but we have history on JS.  If you combine last year’s numbers (3/10) and this year (2/5), he’s shooting 27% for his career.  There’s a reason he’s not shooting more, and it’s not because lack of playing time.  Right now, JS is not a good jump shooter, hence his reluctance to shoot it.  Romeo is a better shooter than JS at this moment, so even if he was shooting 15% from deep, I would still prefer him to shoot over JS.

If my math is correct that 5/15 and that is 33%

^^^ This is turning into one of the most competitive B1G seasons in my memory. Could have been true, other seasons, but not this season.  I doubt any B1G team is over looking any other B1G team.  From what I have seen so far, even the bottom dwellers at this time are capable.  And that even includes a win less Illinois team. 

No I doubt that Coach B and his players will be overlooking an IU team that is perfect in conference play going into the game.

Remember  what  Branch McCracken had to say : "  All it takes for the other team is to see Indiana on the front of our jerseys to get up for a game. "

Two weeks ago no way I would have said we stood a chance in this game with how michigan was playing. After watching them these past couple games they do not look like the team that blew out Villanova, North Carolina and Purdue. While Michigan is still the best team in the big ten imo, they have gone from looking unbeatable to beatable. 

I do think this will tell us a ton about who we are. Not only does Mochigan not turn the ball over they dont put people on the free throw line. Can we win a game where we dont take a lot of free throws? Can we win a half court game? Can we win on the road against a quality team? How will the defense handle a team that likes to shoot the three?

31 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

Two weeks ago no way I would have said we stood a chance in this game with how michigan was playing. After watching them these past couple games they do not look like the team that blew out Villanova, North Carolina and Purdue. While Michigan is still the best team in the big ten imo, they have gone from looking unbeatable to beatable. 

I do think this will tell us a ton about who we are. Not only does Mochigan not turn the ball over they dont put people on the free throw line. Can we win a game where we dont take a lot of free throws? Can we win a half court game? Can we win on the road against a quality team? How will the defense handle a team that likes to shoot the three?

First I am gonna look at your first paragraph.  It ain't like Nova is a world beater.  Nor is UNC.  And certainly not Purdue.  And where were those games played?

As to the second paragraph.  We got a rough one early on, it happens.  UM has quality wins for sure.  But I really don't think they have played a team like us either. That is why you play the game.  We can dissect it, crossect it, and turn it inside out.  But at the end of the day, we need to see what Michigan is gonna do.  

Now my paragraph....if the Wolves treys aren't falling, I do believe they are in trouble of an upset.

Here's the scouting report on Michigan. 

The number of possession may determine if Indiana has a chance. Instead of playing with Michigan up and down the court, Indiana should take a page from Northwestern and Penn State (who battled reasonably closely with Michigan) and slow down the pace. I've got full trust in Archie if we can keep it within 2-4 possessions until the last 2 minutes.

Indiana has the opportunity to define their season on Sunday.

Without Rob and our consistent slow starts, I am not confident we can come out of there with a W. We have a shot if good Devonte shows up, if Juwan  stays out of foul trouble and has a big game, if Romeo attacks/stays aggressive he has a tendency to disappear at times as does Juwan, and Justin/Deron contribute positively as well. Got to value the ball and continue to play solid D. Tall task. I’d like our chances better at home. 

IU 64 UM 76

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

UM 68

IU 59

I think this is pretty close.  Last year in Ann Arbor, we also played a very sluggish first 15:00 or so, woke up, got back in the game, and faded late.  I believe the score was 69-55 or something close to it. 

That said, we have more talent this year, but not as much as we should with Hunter, Phinisee and others out.  If Romeo proved to himself or reminded himself he can take over a game (like vs ILL) we may keep it close, but taking care of the ball and some outside shooting success will also help  

i am the pessimist and don't think we have a chance at Michigan, but as for our slow starts, i'd sure like to see a solid attempt and getting Langford and Morgan shots in the first few possessions.  i know teams key on them, but we seem to not get them many touches the first few possessions until other guys have forced shots, then we settle down and get them the ball.

Archived