Michigan Pregame Thread

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the '87 championship game, we had 4 guys score.  Only 4.  We need that type of centralized offensive focus to beat Michigan on Sunday.  

Great point.  And I agree.  Ride your horses.  The only problem is right now that we don't have any sure fire scorers after A and B options.  That '87 team did.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Great point.  And I agree.  Ride your horses.  The only problem is right now that we don't have any sure fire scorers after A and B options.  That '87 team did.

With who we have available, you make Al the third option, and utilize De'Ron when he is on the floor.  Justin should only be shooting on breakaways and put-backs.  Devonte should only be shooting breakaways, wide open three pointers off of offensive rebounds, and free throws.  

6 minutes ago, rico said:

If I'm Archie we're either going into Juwan and letting him attack or giving it to Romeo and telling him to drive it on every possession.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If I'm Archie we're either going into Juwan and letting him attack or giving it to Romeo and telling him to drive it on every possession.

That is fine and I am cool with that, but others have to put points on the board.  

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the '87 championship game, we had 4 guys score.  Only 4.  We need that type of centralized offensive focus to beat Michigan on Sunday.  

But that was also the era of RMK's motion offense, a different animal than we have today. I tend to think we'll see no more than 4 guys score the great bulk of our points anyway, but when the D collapses on Romeo because he's repeatedly driving, he can, should and will dish to the guy rolling to or at the rim.

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

With who we have available, you make Al the third option, and utilize De'Ron when he is on the floor.  Justin should only be shooting on breakaways and put-backs.  Devonte should only be shooting breakaways, wide open three pointers off of offensive rebounds, and free throws.  

You realize Justin Smith is shooting 40% from 3 while Romeo is at 21.6%?

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You realize Justin Smith is shooting 40% from 3 while Romeo is at 21.6%?

My point is that I do not want him initiating offense for himself.  And, in his 'good' game last night, he still fumbled the ball out of bounds, or had it stripped, 3-4 times.  

Despite slow starts being an issue for us seemingly every game, Michigan hasn't been a strong first half team lately. Their last three games, against Air Force, Binghamton and Penn State, they led by 3, 5 and 5 points at the half, respectively. Our best hope is to keep it within one or two possessions until halftime and just go from there. The longer we hang around, the more the pressure of finally losing a game may get to them.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

We're going to find if we're a good team that has simply been playing down to its competition or are we simply just not as good as many thought.  If this is another Duke result we're probably just not that good.  I expect us to keep it competitive for most of the game and then UM pulls away at the end and wins by 7-10.

I don't really think this game is a gauge of much at all. It's on the road and we're missing our starting point guard, as a team that already struggles to handle the ball and struggles with pressure at times. We also struggle to shoot from deep consistently, and Rob is probably our most consistent 3pt shooter. 

If IU loses by 15 I don't think it will mean a single thing in terms of how good this team will/can be in March. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't really think this game is a gauge of much at all. It's on the road and we're missing our starting point guard, as a team that already struggles to handle the ball and struggles with pressure at times. We also struggle to shoot from deep consistently, and Rob is probably our most consistent 3pt shooter. 

If IU loses by 15 I don't think it will mean a single thing in terms of how good this team will/can be in March. 

100% agreed. I don't know why anyone would try to make this game, without Rob on the road against undefeated UM, some kind of statement game on whether we're "simply just not as good..." Seriously?

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

100% agreed. I don't know why anyone would try to make this game, without Rob on the road against undefeated UM, some kind of statement game on whether we're "simply just not as good..." Seriously?

What if we lose by 53 points?  :coffee:

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If we win by 20, that is definitely a statement!

47 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm just saying we should be competitive.  PSU was competitive and we're a lot better than them.  No one should expect a W.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Despite slow starts being an issue for us seemingly every game, Michigan hasn't been a strong first half team lately. Their last three games, against Air Force, Binghamton and Penn State, they led by 3, 5 and 5 points at the half, respectively. Our best hope is to keep it within one or two possessions until halftime and just go from there. The longer we hang around, the more the pressure of finally losing a game may get to them.

Hope your are right that Michigan starts slowly like we are prone to do. However, with the game being nationally televised, I would imagine that they  weill be primed to make a statement coming right out of the locker room.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

In general I agree. Where I think this game can be used to judge is in the area of who keeps fighting if the scoreboard is lopsided against us, and who gives up.

All of these nail biters have made it imperative that kids stay locked in and engaged throughout. Blowout wins don't matter in this regard. Duke was the only game where things got away, and that was so early in the season. Now, almost halfway through, if a kid bails on his team when we have no chance to win, that's good information to know. Would rather that be discovered now rather than later in the season

15 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm just saying we should be competitive.  PSU was competitive and we're a lot better than them.  No one should expect a W.

OK -- I think we should be competitive as well, but UM is really, really good, and we're missing a key player, it's in their house, and it's televised. I don't think we'll get blown out, but I wouldn't be shocked, or overwhelmed, if we do get swatted. Really do need to come out of the gate fighting, i don't understand the repeatedly slow starts. 

I think the key is to endure the first 10-12 minutes of the game. Our team has shown tendency to take time to activate good defense. Maybe guys need to get a little 'feel' how the other team throws different types of offense and also get familiarized with the surroundings. If we maintain the game within a striking distance in the first half, we got a chance. If we get blown out in the first half (15+ points or more), forget about it. 

Here is what the newspaper in Ignas' home town in Lithuania has to say about the game.

Ignas Brazdeikis ir Mičigano Wolverines bus žaisti Indiana Hoosiers sekmadienį Ann Arbor. Ignas ir jo komandos gyvena labai baimės Hoosiers, kurie vadovavo Romeo Langford ir Juwan Morgan. Fizinis žaidimas turėtų būti tikimasi. "Turime suteikti jiems concussions jei mes tikimės laimėti :, Ignas yra cituojamas kaip sakydamas.

Archived