IU at Michigan POST GAME

We do a great job of responding to getting punched in the mouth.  Unfortunately, it seems we show up to a game expecting the other team to play nice.  When they don't (it's D-1 college basketball, no one is going to play nice), some guys on the team then start to get a killer mentality.  Need a mindset that we're going to dominate from tip to finish, not a mindset of we're here to have fun and play a good game until we realize the other team is playing like it's more than just a game.  At the end of the day, it is just a game, but if I'm CAM, I don't want my players playing like that on the court.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, rico said:

What bench do/did we have?

With Livers out UM basically has no bench. 

M        P      R      A

Brooks 16.5  3.9  1.3  1.6

Austin   5.3   1.6    1.1   0.1

Johns   4.5    1.4    1.7    0.2

IU

Davis    11.2   4.8   2.1   0.5

Fitzner  14.1   4.5    2.9  0.5

Anderson 13.4  3.1  1.6  0.6

McRoberts 17.3 1.1  2.8  0.9

5 minutes ago, slojoe said:

With Livers out UM basically has no bench. 

M        P      R      A

Brooks 16.5  3.9  1.3  1.6

Austin   5.3   1.6    1.1   0.1

Johns   4.5    1.4    1.7    0.2

IU

Davis    11.2   4.8   2.1   0.5

Fitzner  14.1   4.5    2.9  0.5

Anderson 13.4  3.1  1.6  0.6

McRoberts 17.3 1.1  2.8  0.9

Our bench yesterday was Mcroberts, Fitzner, and Moore. None of which belong on the floor against a top 3 team in the country on the road.

Our bench gave us a whole 0-3 from the field with 4 turnovers. We've had soo many injuries we literally have no depth right now.

For example, Brandon John's for Michigan alone was 4-5 from the floor with 8 points.

We just don't have enough good players right now to beat a team like that. Just a lot of bad luck with injuries.

Late to the thread. But better late than never.

The coveted milehi game ball goes to:   Coach Miller.  With so many guys out due to injury, and both Juwan and Romeo getting into early foul trouble, I thought Archie did a masterful job of mixing and matching.

Hopefully, the run of injuries will soon come to an end.... and then..... lookout !

1 hour ago, rico said:

I have already stated my opinion, McBob would never see the floor again.  

I don't know if I go that far but this was by far the worst game of his career. He basically single handily sparked the UM run when Romeo and Morgan went to the bench with lazy pass dunk and then letting Poole get anywhere he wanted on the floor (although maybe we don't have anyone that could have slowed him that was the best I've ever seen him play). Not sure of the plus minus with him on the floor but it had to be pretty bad. I agree Anderson should be seeing more minutes. Not only can he knock down some jumpers when left wide open but I think his defense was improving...at least in short spurts that we could have used him to spot Romeo. In the end he won't get better and learn on defense without playing...so let's get him more time on the floor. I expect him to be our 6th/7th man off the bench next year. Obviously if we had Hunter all of this would be mute. I was very pleased with our defense outside the first 10 mins. I think they started 15-20 from the floor....even some of that was contested and step back 3's...can't stop that. We just have to stem the tide by hitting our layups at the other end. Romeo and Morgan just couldn't finish early on and the lead ballooned. And what I've seen from Moore this year...he should be playing over Fitzner. He altered a couple shots and showed on the pick n roll much better. There might be some games that Fitz can open the game up on the perimeter but teams that play that good of defense....he can't get a shot off and kills us on the boards.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't like I told you so posts but here's my I told you so posts. Last spring I was criticized for McRoberts (i.e. getting scholarship or not,etc..). He's a very good kid. At times he makes those plays that we all love. However we can't continue to play 5 on 4 on offense with him out there. I think someone else brought up earlier. I'd like to see Damezi given some of his minutes. Yes...McRoberts usually helps out with 3-4 plays each game that translates in 6-8 points for us. Maybe Damezi could hit a few 3's to offset his defense. I don't know. We have to figure out a way to start making some shots from the outside. 

I was a big McRoberts supporter over the offseason, and just like a Davis thread several weeks ago, I'll admit I was wrong. Though in typical message board fashion, I'll walk back my admitting I was wrong by adding some caveats to my admission 😀

This isn't the same McRoberts from last season. He's had a few flashes of the 'old McRoberts' like when he saved that ball from going out of bounds against NW (or was it Louisville?), but generally this isn't the same guy. I think the back is really hindering his play. His defense isn't as good and last year he was good for a couple of put-back baskets a game. I can't remember the last time he came flying in from the wing to grab an o-board and put it back in? He used to do that multiple times a game, or at least come flying in and tip o-boards back to the guards. That hardly happens at all this season. 

I was also expecting him to improve a bit as well, not regress, though I'm assuming some of that can be chalked up to the back. 

But, I will say, that in his current state McRoberts probably needs to sit. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was a big McRoberts supporter over the offseason, and just like a Davis thread several weeks ago, I'll admit I was wrong. Though in typical message board fashion, I'll walk back my admitting I was wrong by adding some caveats to my admission 😀

This isn't the same McRoberts from last season. He's had a few flashes of the 'old McRoberts' like when he saved that ball from going out of bounds against NW (or was it Louisville?), but generally this isn't the same guy. I think the back is really hindering his play. His defense isn't as good and last year he was good for a couple of put-back baskets a game. I can't remember the last time he came flying in from the wing to grab an o-board and put it back in? He used to do that multiple times a game, or at least come flying in and tip o-boards back to the guards. That hardly happens at all this season. 

I was also expecting him to improve a bit as well, not regress, though I'm assuming some of that can be chalked up to the back. 

Completely agree.

18 hours ago, Drroogh said:

looking at the complete box and the only real difference was MU had 6 more made shots. We had to have had at least 6 mixed bunnies? make those and this was an even game! I'm not complaining.

Another stat that really jumps out to me is the assists. We only had 6! Down 9 from our season average. Going to be hard to win with that amount. We actually had a good game as far as TO's go and our assists went with it too! 

Referencing the Great BGleas, above.  McRoberts back IS still an issue.  And yes, if there were more healthy bodies at the end of the bench, he should sit. However, true to his grit (true grit, get it ?  )  he opted to play.  On good authority... Zack's back is not 100%. 

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I've been wondering if he's playing at less than 100% following the back injury, he hasn't looked the same. 

Thing is though, we can't afford to sit anyone right now, we're still the walking wounded. Would agree someone else needs to get more time, maybe Demez, but he's a frosh and still learning the speed of the game. We just need to get healthy. Sooner the better.

As a guy who has experienced back problems much of my life (beginning at 19 while roofing), I know if your back isn't right it will affect everything you do.  When the back issues with McRoberts first came out, I figured it was probably the strain/spasms injury that young guys can get over pretty quick.  He was out of the lineup and practice much too long for that, so I'd bet it's something more significant.

As mentioned earlier, he's not the same player as last year.

8 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

As a guy who has experienced back problems much of my life (beginning at 19 while roofing), I know if your back isn't right it will affect everything you do.  When the back issues with McRoberts first came out, I figured it was probably the strain/spasms injury that young guys can get over pretty quick.  He was out of the lineup and practice much too long for that, so I'd bet it's something more significant.

As mentioned earlier, he's not the same player as last year.

Right there with you. Bad back destroys you.

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Late to the thread. But better late than never.

The coveted milehi game ball goes to:   Coach Miller.  With so many guys out due to injury, and both Juwan and Romeo getting into early foul trouble, I thought Archie did a masterful job of mixing and matching.

Hopefully, the run of injuries will soon come to an end.... and then..... lookout !

i 100% agree with you.  i thought his subbing in the 1st half was absolutely the best he could do.  

17 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I guess I am happy  that Rico is not in charge of this forum ! I've alwaye felt that Too many of Rico's posts were too much pro turdue on this IU Forum ??????? Go Hoosiers , Muck pee yew ( Always- if you aTrue Hoosier Fan) ??????

i used to think the same thing HTD, but i really haven't seen that at all this season.

Archived